No announcement yet.

I killed my helmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BOB! I've talked to Cody more than you lately. That's strange.

Like I said, I usually don't wear the helmet around town because it limits my vision and hearing around these idiots. I wrecked twice in Fort Worth years ago because of those limitations of my senses.

I know y'all think that's stupid but I know what works for me. I've only wrecked once without the helmet and I was going slow in a parking lot and an idiot backed out from between 2 cars without looking. Didn't see it coming from between the cars.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Yes, I remember when that happened to you.

Hey, no judgements here... To each his own.
      I wuz jus bustin yer chops, for some fun....
      You make it kinda easy, sometimes, after all.... Couldn't resist. Lol

Yes, you're beginning to give me a complex, man!
      Wasn't sure if you lost my phone number, or ya just got jealous of my Connie and didn't wanna ride with me anymore??

He he...

Felt like I wasn't wanted around anymore,since I don't have an 11...?

As for Cody... I haven't talked a lot with him since he got his new job around Christmas... Maybe a text once a week or so...

Heard from Ivan last month, got a call. That was good.

Everybody's heading out to Zion first week of May for the annual ride, but now they're all riding GS's, and riding off road for a lot of it.
      Not sure I'm going this year, since I'd have to ride out there and back basically by myself.
      '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
      "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Originally posted by XJOK2PLAY View Post
        Everybody's heading out to Zion first week of May for the annual ride, but now they're all riding GS's, and riding off road for a lot of it.
        Not sure I'm going this year, since I'd have to ride out there and back basically by myself.
        Cody mentioned that an said I should come along but that sounds like kind of a spendy trip. Still playing catch up from last fall.

I might run out and talk to you about it one of these days. Or, maybe not. we'll see.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Well, you know where I live... Come on!

I'll go, if ya wanna go with.
          I love that trip, and it's SO worth it.

You need to budget a week off, though... That's what costs.
          Motels, food, gas.

I think I may have spent $500 total last year.
          The place we stay at in Springdale, Utah's costly, but definitely worth it.

If you can take off, your bike's up to it, and ya wanna go, let me know.
          We'll work something out.

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

your bike's up to it,
            Ha ha ha....that'd be the ONLY thing I wouldn't have a problem with.
            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
              Ha ha ha....that'd be the ONLY thing I wouldn't have a problem with.
              Well, I'll tell you what I told Tod before we went last year...

You might wanna either make arrangements for extra fuel, or get her tuned good where she gets around 40 mpg...
              Cause there's some stretches out there where it's around 200 miles between gas stations.

He almost found it the hard way I was right! His only got around 32...
              Luckily, those guys came along with extra fuel when they did.

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

fuel

Well, I'll tell you what I told Tod before we went last year...

You might wanna either make arrangements for extra fuel, or get her tuned good where she gets around 40 mpg...
                Cause there's some stretches out there where it's around 200 miles between gas stations.

He almost found it the hard way I was right! His only got around 32...
                Luckily, those guys came along with extra fuel when they did.
                Bob,
                You are SO right. I made 205 miles between fuel in Hanksville and Mexican Hat, (including side trip into Arches National Monument). Sure was fun going to Zion. On previous trip to South Lake Tahoe, All 3 XS/XJs carried auxilliary fuel tanks. Good to read from Y'all. Spring weather is generally here. Happy motoring.
                It is a great big beautiful world out there
                Brent in GA
                Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

Hey, Brent!
                  Yes, it was right after you peeled off into Arches that happened to us. IIRC, he had gone around 130 miles on that tank, had been getting around 150-160 per tank, and Garmin was showing another 28 miles to the nearest station.

I figure he probably would have made it, and I always carry a siphon transfer hose with me... but it was close.

At almost 6 gallon capacity, and getting around 50 mpg in ECO mode, the C14 had fuel to spare. Being able to go between 250-300 miles per tank really helps when you're traveling in areas like that.

That stretch of road around Hanksville is incredible, and some of the best on that trip. Ya just have to make sure you don't pass up ANY gas stations around there, though!

I have to say, Brent... I was VERY impressed with the economy and dependability of your Harley on that trip!

For the record guys... His bike outperformed my new Connie by 1 mpg every time we stopped for gas, and I was consistently averaging 50 mpg!
                  Not bad for the age and high miles that old bike's got!

Good to hear from you, Brent!
                  Bob

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

Helmet

Allow me to be judgemental.
                    Many folks purchase a helmet, or buy life insurance based on what they feel they are worth.
                    That often translates into zero.

A guy in NY was killed while riding without a helmet during an anti helmet rally.

A friend and coworker of mine was killed at the track, after nailing a tree at high speed. I had the blood soaked helmet in my hands.

My quality Bell helmet hit a rock at 90mph. My head was in it. Was at the track.
                    I am coherent enough to type this note thanks to the Bell helmet.

I have had zero crashes on the public highways. A few at the track but less than others. Many in the dirt. Expect the caged folks to cut you off.

The rest of the world thinks some of you Yankees are rather strange, with respect to riding apparel. But you knew that.

Unkle Crusty

Comment

I understand and respect what you are saying Crusty. I wear the helmet on the highway and when touring or carving back roads. It most definitely saved me from a cracked scull last fall at XS Southeast.

What I am saying is I have better awareness of what's around me in city traffic without the helmet. I crashed TWICE in Ft Worth because of hazards I didn't see because of the helmet law there.

I would much rather not crash because of better vision/hearing than get in one and because of less of the same. It's my personal choice after 40+ years of riding experience.

Go ahead and think me foolish.
                      Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

I hear yah Greg. I loved riding without, but I gotta thonk about more than myself this season.
                        1979 XS1100F
                        2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Helmet

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                          I understand and respect what you are saying Crusty.

What I am saying is I have better awareness of what's around me in city traffic without the helmet. I crashed TWICE in Ft Worth because of hazards I didn't see because of the helmet law there.

I would much rather not crash because of better vision/hearing than get in one and because of less of the same. It's my personal choice after 40+ years of riding experience.

Go ahead and think me foolish.
                          Fair enough I respect your point of view.
                          While chatting with someone the other day, he asked which was the most dangerous, riding my bicycle or the motorcycle. I told him the bicycle hands down. Helmets for bicycles are mandatory in BC.
                          Whatever speed you are going, 5, 10 or 100, if your head hits the ground it does so at about 13 mph. If it hits something in front of you, it hits it at about the same speed you were travelling. Why I always say, falling down is one thing, hitting solid objects is a real problem. The caged fools will cut us off most often in the city, when we may be doing 30 to 45.
                          I dropped a race bike at around 100 mph after the dumb thing seized. Hardly any damage to either of us because we did not hit anything solid.

Unkle Crusty

Comment

As many of you know i am ATGATT...i've been riding street bikes since 1976 butn only have been ATGATT since 2007...prior to that it was a pair of work boots blue jeans a leater jacket and a cop top half helmet...I once rode in PA for about 5 miles without my helmet...thats was about it...if i am in town I will still wear the cop top as it does afford better hearing and visiblity than a full face helmet.
                            I agre up to a point about what you feel you head is worth and how much you should spend accordingly. Howvere there is no dicernable proof that a $500-$600 helmet would do any better at protecting you that say a $300 helmet. Also just because you're wearing the proper gear does not mean you will survive all accident scenarios...hopefully all the gear will allow you to walk away with some minor injuries.
                            1980 XS650G Special-Two
                            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

+1 Ben.

I've lost 2 friends that crashed now.
                              Greg knew them as well or better than I did.

One hit a tree at 30 mph, one hit the side of a car at 35.

Common link? Crushed ribs, internal injuries.
                              Both wore helmets and jackets.

This has been heavy on my mind ever since.
                              I bought, and have worn a chest protector under my riding jacket ever since Jeremy crashed.

I just bought my next riding jacket... Alpinestars T-GP Plus R Air. Has built in chest protection. I've wondered for a long time why jacket manufacturers weren't including them... Seems Alpinestars got the message.

Just struck me pretty hard... We get all concerned with helmets... And rightly so.
                              But take no precautions to protect our most vulnerable parts... Our chest, ribs, and internal organs.

While I respect Greg, and hear him why he chooses to ride helmetless in city traffic, that's his choice. And, I see his point. He made that decision based on his own personal experiences. Can't argue with that.

Would I personally choose to do it? No. Atgatt for me.
                              BTDT... ONCE. Paid a big price for my lapse in judgement, and was very lucky to have survived the crash. Took only one crash without gear to teach me that lesson. Now, I don't care how hot it is, I wear it all.
                              Last summer I rode in full gear when it was 116 degrees.
                              (I wear a hydration pack during those times, too.)

I raised 3 kids, and told all of them from an early age this;
                              "The decisions we make dictate the life we lead... Good or bad. Choose wisely."

We all know the risks when we choose to throw a leg over our bikes, and ride out into traffic. Yet, we choose to do it anyway... Because we feel it's worth it.

To each his own. Just glad it was only his helmet that was damaged, which can be replaced... And not his head.

Like Ben was saying, even in full gear gives no guarantee you'll survive a crash... But it increases your odds of survival, IMHO.
                              Everybody, ride safe. I've already lost too many riding buddies.
                              Bob

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

I sometimes wear a DOT half helmet. It doesn't obstruct my ears or my vision, yet still offers some protection from head injury.
                                Marty (in Mississippi)
                                XS1100SG
                                XS650SK
                                XS650SH
                                XS650G
                                XS6502F
                                XS650E

Comment

Working...
                                X