No announcement yet.

I killed my helmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I won't go cheap on my safety gear. You have to pay for the aerodynamic testing and Snell rating of full face helmets (plus attorney staff ). Having a quiet helmet that takes wind blast well as well as having great ventilation makes all the difference in the world with rider fatigue. Removable padding for cleaning is important. Fit is very important as well, it shouldn't shift while shaking head side to side or up and down.

Shoei is my go to.

There really is no comparison to riding without a lid, I love it but won't do it out of respect for the ones I love.
    1979 XS1100 Special
    1980 XS1100 Std parts bucket
    1987 ZL1000 Eliminator
    1976 XS750D Project in waiting

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post

I wasn't planning to have this accident in 2016. The helmet still hangs in my garage as a constant reminder. I would not have wanted to go through this without a helmet. As it was, I suffered a concussion.
      Good Lord!
      Looks like somebody just dumped a pile of bike parts on the side of the road!
      I rarely wear a helmet but have had one on whenever I've gone down .First time was in 1980 on xs 400 ( first bike ) hit loose gravel on turn. Slid onto shoulder and the back of the bike stopped in the dirt. Front still doing 20+ and it slung me off the bike and into a ravine with blackberry bushes. I scrambled out more embarrassed than hurt. The handle bar had dug into the dirt and was packed with dirt and there was one scratch on the tank. Other than that it was fine.
      I was riding with two guys on new xs 750s and had suggested riding without helmets. They said not a good idea on this stretch of road. I was riding between 'em.
      That was the FIRST time.

Comment

Originally posted by JonnyO View Post

Good Lord!
        Looks like somebody just dumped a pile of bike parts on the side of the road!
        I rarely wear a helmet but have had one on whenever I've gone down .First time was in 1980 on xs 400 ( first bike ) hit loose gravel on turn. Slid onto shoulder and the back of the bike stopped in the dirt. Front still doing 20+ and it slung me off the bike and into a ravine with blackberry bushes. I scrambled out more embarrassed than hurt. The handle bar had dug into the dirt and was packed with dirt and there was one scratch on the tank. Other than that it was fine.
        I was riding with two guys on new xs 750s and had suggested riding without helmets. They said not a good idea on this stretch of road. I was riding between 'em.
        That was the FIRST time.
        I wasn't planning on going down. I was rendered unconscious for some unknown period of time and I have no recollection of the accident. I received a concussion. I can't say what the outcome would have been without a helmet, but it's entirely possible that I wouldn't be here to respond in this forum.
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post

I wasn't planning on going down. I was rendered unconscious for some unknown period of time and I have no recollection of the accident. I received a concussion. I can't say what the outcome would have been without a helmet, but it's entirely possible that I wouldn't be here to respond in this forum.
          My thanks to God that you survived! A lot of us leave under far less tragic circumstances. Knowing THAT still doesn't frighten me into wearing a helmet. Plenty of us die while wearing one...

I wear one when I wear one.

Comment

Working...
          X