Standard Seat fittings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standard Seat fittings

My seat is missing the front tab fitting to secure it to the bike. Anyone have a spare? What about a couple of pictures and rough dimensions would really help.
    Thanks!

First bike was an: 1978 XS1100
    Second bike is an FJR1300.
    Now I'm restoring a '79 XS1100.

Front tab? The standard has two bolts that slide on the rear frame of the bike. Pics coming in a few.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Yeah Ian, there's a tab that slides up under the gas tank bolt hole. It keeps the front part of the seat from sliding left/right.

Granted, if the 2 hold down bolts are tight enough, that should keep it from going anywhere.

Spare, I don't think that they are removable, but you may be able to fab up a piece of steel and rivet it to the pan.
      Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
      The Green Monster
      K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
      Got him in '04.
      bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
      Scarlet
      K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
      Got her in '11
      Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
      Hugo
      Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
      Cold weather ride

Comment

Here's a pic, the tab is on the right side:

Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
        The Green Monster
        K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
        Got him in '04.
        bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
        Scarlet
        K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
        Got her in '11
        Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
        Hugo
        Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
        Cold weather ride

Comment

Yup, I am tabless. I guess that's why mine slides out from under the tank when I don't have them cranked down.

https://db.tt/hNVIGZKc
          1979 XS1100F
          2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
            Yup, I am tabless. I guess that's why mine slides out from under the tank when I don't have them cranked down.
            Hi Ian,
            I've this theory that the Yamaha design office was split into model-specific groups that shared a common parts catalog but were not allowed to talk to each other.
            How else can one explain the XS650 having a sensible keyed lift-off seat while the XS11 has an awkward bolted down and can't be released without a 14MM deep socket and ratchet seat?
            But at least (on either bike) a replacement front seat tab can be DIY'd from a slab of 1/8" x 2" flatbar.
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Yeah, my 750/850's have the keyed seats as well. Plus, they have a nice hinge to hold the seat up. I just use an open-end 14 mm wrench.
              1979 XS1100F

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
                Yeah, my 750/850's have the keyed seats as well. Plus, they have a nice hinge to hold the seat up. I just use an open-end 14 mm wrench.
                Hi Ian,
                you must be young and spry enough to be able to stoop down and actually SEE that long nut so the open-ender can work for you.
                Us elderly fat guys have to stand there and grope for the bastard and slip the deep socket on.
                PLUS (on my SG at least) the side cover over the toolkit won't come off until the seat has been removed so I gotta carry the wrench in my sidecar.
                At least I HAVE a sidecar. Those who don't have at least a saddlebag on their bikes are stuck with carrying the 14MM of their choice in their pocket.
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

thanks for the picture! Any thoughts as to the dimensions?

Comment

2.5" long (not counting in the length from the L)

1.5" wide

The L part is a 1/2" deep and sits 1" in from the front.

Make sense? I am not thinking straight so this probably doesn't make sense
                    Nathan
                    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                    K&N Filter
                    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                    OEM Exhaust
                    ATK Fork Brace
                    LED Dash lights
                    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                    SS Brake Lines
                    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Perfect!! Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                        Hi Ian,
                        you must be young and spry enough to be able to stoop down and actually SEE that long nut so the open-ender can work for you.
                        Us elderly fat guys have to stand there and grope for the bastard and slip the deep socket on.
                        PLUS (on my SG at least) the side cover over the toolkit won't come off until the seat has been removed so I gotta carry the wrench in my sidecar.
                        At least I HAVE a sidecar. Those who don't have at least a saddlebag on their bikes are stuck with carrying the 14MM of their choice in their pocket.
                        Hi Fred..........after a few decades can just slip the open-end wrench under there without lookin', and that's the ONLY way to loosen them on a dressed Venturer.
                        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

So true Motoman! With saddle bags you cant really see what you're wrenching on, but with practice it's second nature to remove the seat blind.

Comment

I have a tab from the seatpan on my '81 standard. I made a new seat, (but cut the back off the original for it). If you want it, I could drill it out.

Think this is the one you're looking for?
                            81 H "Traumaha"
                            06 KLR 650
                            06 Katana 600 (Sold)
                            05 Star 1100 (Sold)
                            78 GS1000 Cafe (Traded for a Chrysler 68 Newport)
                            79 RD400 (Stolen)
                            78 KE175
                            Schwinn Tricycle red (with a loud bell)

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                              Hi Fred..........after a few decades can just slip the open-end wrench under there without lookin', and that's the ONLY way to loosen them on a dressed Venturer.
                              Hi Moto,
                              I got a nekkid SG but the right side has a sidecar that gets in the effin' way of direct access on that side.
                              So find by feel and slip the deep socket on is the way I go.
                              I was also forced to check the oil with a mirror onna stick until I made a custom dipstick.
                              Carry that thing in my sidecar glove pocket along with the 14MM deep socket and ratchet.
                              Fred Hill, S'toon
                              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                              X