Best windshield for tall guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best windshield for tall guys

To you tall guys out there like T.C. and others. What kind of windsheilds have you tried and how did they work. Did you get buffeting? I have been riding 110 miles to work everyday and been riding naked. Would like to get a shield but don't want to buy the wrong one and looking on other forums a lot of guys get the wrong ones with a lot of buffeting. Thanks guys.
    Jeff
    77 XS750 2D completely stock
    79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

i,m 5,11 and have cut down my vetter shields,,, from what i have seen normal vetter windshield is fairly tall ,,i can only speak for my experience with vetter i like to be able to see over the top especially in bad weather ,,,ride safe ,,,slow mo!
    The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
    moemcnally@hotmail.com
    i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

the people here are great , doesn't matter about the bike really/hamjam ////

Comment

Jeff, you're just looking for a stand alone shield right? Not a 'new' shield for a windjammer/vetter right?
      Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
      The Green Monster
      K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
      Got him in '04.
      bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
      Scarlet
      K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
      Got her in '11
      Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
      Hugo
      Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
      Cold weather ride

Comment

I am on the tall side at 6'-2" and I love a naked machine however I do use a small screen that provides adequately for my road-riding style. See the pic. below. It is a one-off made from an old shield I had however several manufacturers make small screens such as this.

At 60-70 mph it provides a calm area approximately 2x the width and the top of the airstream is right at the top of my helmet. It definitely takes the pressure off of my chest and helmet. It is approximately 12" wide at the widest point and 18" above the top of the headlight.

If you are looking for a windshield, this would be the minimum. Since you are riding long distances each day, I would recommend you go with something just a bit larger. The caveat is that if you are riding most of the way on the slab and wish true comfort then a fairing is your best bet. Whatever you do, look at the fastening hardware very well as I found this can be a drawback on some cheaper windshields and take some time to 'tune' the windshield to your machine so that you stay stable at highway speeds.

That is my experience.
        Mike Giroir
        79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Yes, I am looking for a windshield not a windshield for a fairing. I love a naked bike but its a bit much riding that far. Only about 15 miles is superslab but I am doing 60-70 on the rest so its a good bit of wind. I would like to get a windjammer or pacifico if it comes off and on quickly. I really like the pacifico best. I would really love to find one of those adjustable backrests that slide all the way to the front for the rider and slides back for passenger. If I could lean back on something, I may not even want a windshield.
          Jeff

Comment

I have had the plexifairing 3 and its lightweight, easy off, and tall enough for wind and rain protection.

I am now using a windjammer IV for upcoming trip to have extra storage but ordered xtra 3" tall windscreen because at 70-80 it buffeted my head too much with standars screen unless slouching.

John
            John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
            '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
            Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Hey Jeff,

I had gotten a generic simple curved one from JCW, and it got broken on a Rally trip, so I got some Plexiglass and cut and curved/drilled my own repair since I already had the mounting hardware. I've seen extra mounting hardware online. Others will say you should get LEXAN because it's more durable and won't shatter like Plexiglass. That would possibly be a bit cheaper than buying a formally commercially made shield/mount set! Mine is about 16" high above the top of the headlight, but it's also tilted a bit back as well. I'm 6'6" but I have a special which has a lower seat, and I sit a bit reclined back with GW bars with decent pullback and have setbacks.

Here are some links, examples and other brands to look at.

National Cycle

Street Shield: 17" H x 16.5" W

Deflector Screen: 15.5" W x 15" H above headlight

Deflector DX Same

Plexistar 2: 20" H x 29.5"W

Plexifairing 3: 22.5" H x 29.75" W.

Another brand: http://www.memphisshades.com/

Another: https://www.maier-mfg.com/catalog/un...-windshields-0
              I like their Stealth shield.

Rider Mag Guide: http://www.ridermagazine.com/browse-...ers-guide.htm/

T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I really like that plexifairing cause I cover legs too. Thanks everyone.
                Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by jjz28 View Post
                  I really like that plexifairing cause I cover legs too. Thanks everyone.
                  Jeff, When yo install your windshield make sure you have everything good and tight. Start with the shield following the line of the forks (as viewed from the side) After a ride , like your 100 mile commute, you will know if you need to adjust it. Just move it a small amount and secure before next ride. keep making fine adjustments until you hit the sweet spot for you on your bike.
                  Phil
                  1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                  1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                  2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

you might want to check out a device called a Laminar Lip. it attaches to the top front of a windshield and it deflects the air on the front of the shield up and over your head. I just installed one onto my small fork mounted shield and it really works great. costs about $80 and well worth it. makes a small shield act like a great big one (almost no wind buffeting or noise) without the big shields adverse handling issues.

Comment

Thanks for the tip phil and thanks mark, I will check into that.
                      Jeff

Comment

I had the Plexifairing on my '80 MNS and, loved it. Provided great protection not only from the wind but, also from the elements and, with very little buffeting.

It was the third of three shields that I had tried on the bike and the one that ended my search for the 'best' shield. And, because it is essentially all clear, it also doesn't take away from the bikes overall appearance.

I highly recommend it.

\/
                        1980 XS11 LG (Diablo)
                        1980 XS11 G (Bagger)
                        1978 XS11 G (White Knight)
                        1978 XS11 G (Skeleton)
                        2016 SS (S.S. Flyer)

Comment

Thanks xsilerating, that is probably what I will get.
                          Jeff

Comment

I just almost hit "buy" on the plexifairing 3 and am just worried its too big. I like the sportier smaller windshields. Does anyone have any experience with the spitfire? Its a lot more stressful trying to find a windshield than I thought. I don't want to throw money away. What is a good sporty one someone has tried that works good on a special? Thanks.
                            Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by jjz28 View Post
                              I just almost hit "buy" on the plexifairing 3 and am just worried its too big. I like the sportier smaller windshields. Does anyone have any experience with the spitfire? Its a lot more stressful trying to find a windshield than I thought. I don't want to throw money away. What is a good sporty one someone has tried that works good on a special? Thanks.
                              If it is too tall you can always cut it shorter. Just cut it in small increments cause you can't put it back on.
                              Nathan
                              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                              K&N Filter
                              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                              OEM Exhaust
                              ATK Fork Brace
                              LED Dash lights
                              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                              SS Brake Lines
                              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                              X