No announcement yet.

Best windshield for tall guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I run the Spitfire on the Special, just big enough to keep wind off your chest, will blow your T-shirt up though. Removable in 5 seconds.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Thanks phil. I think I would like the plexifairing for purpose but I don't want my bike to look like a granpa bike, even though I am a granpa.lol There is a member I think danhodges or dhodges that has a cool windshield. I think its a street shield. Anyone run those with success? thanks.
      Jeff
      77 XS750 2D completely stock
      79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

Originally posted by jjz28 View Post
        I just almost hit "buy" on the plexifairing 3 and am just worried its too big. I like the sportier smaller windshields. Does anyone have any experience with the spitfire? Its a lot more stressful trying to find a windshield than I thought. I don't want to throw money away. What is a good sporty one someone has tried that works good on a special? Thanks.
        I have a Spitfire. I move it from one bike to another. Like Phil says, it's easy. I takes the wind off my chest and makes my helmet noisey. It looks real cool shaking back and forth when it's on my XS650. I use it, but it is not to be confused with a fairing.

The next one I put on the SG will be the Plexifairing. Yes, I am Grandpa.
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

I have found that it is a personal issue with differences on each bike. My buddy had a small Direction 11 on his 81MNS and I loved the way it worked. On my 79SF I could never get it to do the same thing. I tried for months and I could not make it work like his. Now that I own both models I find the seating position to be very different and the effects of that to differ as well.
          I don't know that anyone can properly answer your question as we are all of varying heights and weights and our bikes have differing appendages such as bags etc.
          The air flow over you may be different than it would be on my fat ass. Your helmet may deflect the wind differently. Who knows, all I can say is you are able to adjust almost all wind screens that are available and hopefully you will get one you are happy with.
          2-79 XS1100 SF
          2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
          80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
          Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Thanks guys. What would you guys get, the plexifairing 2 or the plexifairing 3 that has the lowers? Well, its lower anyway.
            Jeff

Comment

I have 2 plexifairings shields in my junk pile that I would not give you the time of day for. YMMV
              2-79 XS1100 SF
              2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
              80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
              Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Thanks, that is very good to know. they are around $200, so I will look for something else. I think they are too big anyway but figured they would keep the wind off.
                Jeff

Comment

Well, if you look around on the site a lot of people really like the plexifairing 3....
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights
                  Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines
                  Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

The plexifairing3 is good for longer riding or when you might hit rain. Its removable and if you also buy a smaller national cycle screen you can quickly switch for city riding. Expensive to have both but they do move from bike to bike.

That being said I like the windjammer for this long trip. Much more stable in the wind at speed.

Worth the extra effort.

John
                    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

I am 6'11" tall and can say you will love the plexifairing III. Protection like a full vetter or Pacifico and the lightness to not add to the front end weight.

You will be looking through it and not over it, I am the only guy I know that can look over it, but what a nice bubble of protection it is and you can play with the angle to get the best aerodynamics for your riding position, etc if needed. The lowers are the bomb for rainy weather protection on the legs well vs the plexifairing II. You get wet feet and halfway up the shins, otherwise DRY!
                      Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
                        I am 6'11" tall and can say you will love the plexifairing III. Protection like a full vetter or Pacifico and the lightness to not add to the front end weight.

You will be looking through it and not over it, I am the only guy I know that can look over it, but what a nice bubble of protection it is and you can play with the angle to get the best aerodynamics for your riding position, etc if needed. The lowers are the bomb for rainy weather protection on the legs well vs the plexifairing II. You get wet feet and halfway up the shins, otherwise DRY!
                        I broke my screen on the last trip. I never was crazy about it. I think I am going to go with your endorsement, Bonz. I got in heavy rain behind a Spitfire the other day. I was soaked in seconds.
                        Marty (in Mississippi)
                        XS1100SG
                        XS650SK
                        XS650SH
                        XS650G
                        XS6502F
                        XS650E

Comment

I have both, the Spitfire and the Plexifairing 3. The Spitfire is for general summer riding and the Plexifairing for cold winter days (Yeah in FL, Right?) for the additional coverage.
                          I love the Spitfire for what it is, and how it deflects wind and bugs off my chest and almost the helmet. It's a great improvement over riding naked at speeds over 55mph, not to mention 75mph+.
                          One thing about the Plexi is that it creates a vacum behind it that pulls your body forward onto it. The brunt of this not-insignificant pull force is borne by your hands at the grips. It causes a lot of fatigue on your hands, wrists, arms, and shoulders. So much so that I'll be installing a couple of 3" vents before next winter to break that vacuum effect.
                          Just another opinion from a user of both windshileds.
                          1980G Standard, Restored
                          Kerker 4 - 1
                          850 Rear End Mod
                          2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                          Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                          Automatic CCT
                          1980GH Special, Restored
                          Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                          '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                          Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

thanks cobia. I am leaning towards a spitfire or street shield.
                            Jeff

Comment

Has anyone tried one of these? Do you think this is tall enough to give wind protection? This is the slipstreamer ss-20 stealth.

Jeff

Comment

Since we are on the subject, I might as well highjack this thread...
                                my question is: where would I get replacement for my original Yamaha fairing windshield? I've tried general Google search and not much showed up

Thanks, Nick
                                Nick

1979 XS11 F,Yamaha fairings w/hard bags, TC's fuse box, K&N air filter

1982 Virago 750 (it's alive!)

1979 XS 11 F, Windjammer IV, Samsonite luggage cases(another rescue)

Comment

Working...
                                X