Most replaced part(s) ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GLoweVA View Post
    Totally agree on the speedo. I'm on my 3rd with the G and my 2nd with the SG. I think with the 80/81's that only go to 85mph, once you hit that peg, forever more that speedo's life is shortened.
    Mine hits the 85mph peg just about daily. If you go in and lube the little worm gear in there, it would help. Bumping that maxed out peg does nothing to it since there's really nothing touching in there to raise the needle up. It's simply a magnet getting pulled by a bell. But if that's the excuse you use to keep you under 85... whatever works for you! lol.
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Don't have to worry about it now:

Although, the xs400 speedo is a tad bit smaller than the 750/850/1100 ones, it still bolted right up and is accurate up to 95mph that I know of.
      Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
      The Green Monster
      K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
      Got him in '04.
      bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
      Scarlet
      K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
      Got her in '11
      Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
      Hugo
      Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
      Cold weather ride

Comment

Brake cylinder kits and master cylinder kits do need to be replaced often if you want to stop. Tires are replaced more often these days and since you repack grease in bearings then grease seals need replacing. If you use head cover gasket its probably replaced within 10,000 or less because of valve adjustment. The boots from cylinder to carb tend to crack quickly and the little nippples on the vacume ports go bad quick.

Valves are damaged far to often but that's often due to confusion.
        To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
        1980 G Silverbird
        Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
        1198 Overbore kit
        Grizzly 660 ACCT
        Barnett Clutch Springs
        R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
        122.5 Main Jets
        ACCT Mod
        Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
        Antivibe Bar ends
        Rear trunk add-on
        http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

with my XJ i went thru 4 different exhausts(not including the original) before finding the Kerker
          1980 XS650G Special-Two
          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I'm on my third set of handlebars due to rusting. I live close to the ocean and the salt in the air is murder on any and all exposed parts. I don't have a garage.
            1980G Standard, Restored
            Kerker 4 - 1
            850 Rear End Mod
            2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
            Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
            Automatic CCT
            1980GH Special, Restored
            Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
            '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
            Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

A bit pricey, but what isn't?
              This stuff would save you money in the long run. I don't know how it would work on exhaust systems, due to heat, but on the rest of the brite work, it is the answer.
              http://www.bing.com/search?q=sharkhi...c=8-9&sp=1&sk=

CZ

Comment

replaced

80 xs11g replaced motor with 81sg motor which is about 5mph slower speedo cable rear brake master cylinder twice starter motor twice fuses need to up date but other than that not much still running great to this day.

Comment

Thanks CZ,
                  I've heard of Shark Skin. I'm going to have to find some and try it out.
                  1980G Standard, Restored
                  Kerker 4 - 1
                  850 Rear End Mod
                  2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                  Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                  Automatic CCT
                  1980GH Special, Restored
                  Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                  '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                  Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Robert, it's called Sharkhide....

http://www.sharkhide.com/
                    2H7 (79)
                    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

pickup wires

I think I have finally found wire that will work but I am failing a set every year. Guess it does not help that replacements are same age as failed ones.
                      I have a bike and I am not afraid to use it

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                        Okay, I have one that hasn't been mentioned yet. Clutch Springs!!! Of course that's partly because I used some standard generic ones from Partsnmore the first time, and just a couple of years later they were slipping again, and this was with NEW frictions.

T.C.

EBC clutch springs are wimpy.(10% stronger than stock) Vesrah clutch springs are stronger than stock. Ferodo clutch springs are heavier still. Barnett has the heaviest duty clutch springs.

I've had my SG for 10 years and 50K miles. I can't think of anything I've replaced more than once. The exception being tires and oil filters.
                        Marty (in Mississippi)
                        XS1100SG
                        XS650SK
                        XS650SH
                        XS650G
                        XS6502F
                        XS650E

Comment

The only thing I can think of that I've replaced several times is gauges. I've gone through probably 5 speedometers and 3 tachs. I need another tach on the SG right now.
                          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                            The only thing I can think of that I've replaced several times is gauges. I've gone through probably 5 speedometers and 3 tachs. I need another tach on the SG right now.
                            Now that you mention it, I need to replace my tach for the 2nd time.
                            Marty (in Mississippi)
                            XS1100SG
                            XS650SK
                            XS650SH
                            XS650G
                            XS6502F
                            XS650E

Comment

Working...
                            X