Most replaced part(s) ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most replaced part(s) ?

I had a broken clutch cable this morning and it got me to thinking about the last time I had a broken clutch cable (on my G) then I wondered about other XS11s and what the most failed components may be. (lucky me I had the G right there to steal one from)
    I'm not talking about consumables like pads or tires, but hard parts that broke or just plain wore out.
    So, any input on to what parts you guys have had to replace most often?
    In other words if you have to name just one part that seems to be the worst offender then name that one.
    Granted, on a 30+ year old bike, just about anything can break or fall off or be worn out enough to warrant replacement, but has it happened more than once?

For me, I'd have to say the clutch cable.
    Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
    The Green Monster
    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
    Got him in '04.
    bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
    Scarlet
    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
    Got her in '11
    Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
    Hugo
    Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
    Cold weather ride

I've had 2 of those star shaped plates, that fit on the end of the shift cam, go on both my XS's, and the rectifier on one.
    Not bad considering.

Comment

Motors... lol.
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
        Motors... lol.
        Only you Tod, Only you....
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I think you have posted a really good question.
          Number one repair would have to be pick up coil wire repair. Wish we had an alternative to repair where we could simply replace and be done. I have some connectors here that can be heat shrinked on with a lighter and there is solder in them as well. Good thing to carry for a road side repair if one is on a distance trip.
          There are a number of repairs that keep coming up...eg Coils, TCI's . Far more often it is the carbs (which normally just need cleaning or synching) but no parts.
          It would be interesting to know how many have had which problem so these particular problems could be high lighted as a high wear item. Of course there will be many answers to any question but this one strikes me as a good one.
          2-79 XS1100 SF
          2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
          80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
          Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
            Motors... lol.
            And gas tanks and foot pegs and u-joints and mirrors and turn signals and oil plugs..............
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

fuse holders

Had my 79 for 56K and still all original except fuse holders .

The LH for 15K and nothing except fuse holders.

I use slick 50 1 lube on anything that moves like cables can't say enough good about the lube.

Fuse holders would be my choice .
              76 XS650 C ROADSTER
              80 XS650 G Special II
              https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
              80 XS 1100 SG
              81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
              https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
              AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                And gas tanks and foot pegs and u-joints and mirrors and turn signals and oil plugs..............
                Yes - windscreens was on my list

John
                John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Of course, the gear repair, and fuse block are well documented. Having refurbushed a few of these bikes, I would say the most common thing I find needing replaced is rotors. Warped, cracked etc. A close second is coils.
                  Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                  80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

I think you guys misunderstood my question.
                    I was looking for items that failed MORE THAN ONCE.
                    Granted all those listed are much needed fixes and occur at least once in a bike's life, but I'm looking for those items that some have had to replace AGAIN.
                    I too have had to do the pick up coil wire fix, replace the fuse block and other stuff ONCE, but I don't think that'll I'll have to do any of that stuff again. (well, maybe the pick up coil wire fix on a different section of wire)

These bikes are well built/designed and after 30+ years having a component fail for a 2nd time still seems better than one would expect from a bike this old.
                    That's why I said the clutch cable being one of these components that may fail more than once in a bike's life. (maybe fuel hose too)(just looking for those things that fail over time and periodically need replacing, but not normal items like tires, light bulbs or brake pads.)

The Green Monster
                    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
                    Got him in '04.

Scarlet
                    Got her in '11
                    Ready for the twisties!

Hugo
                    Cold weather ride

Comment

I don't think that the clutch cable is that much of an issue, IF it is properly maintained.
                      Like any other component, it needs cleaned and lubricated periodically, and routed so that there are no sharp bends in it. The problem most folks have is that they neglect it's needs, either through ignorance, or laziness. If it got as much attention as the chrome, I can guarantee that it will last as long as the chrome.
                      That said, all of my long distance and boon docking bikes have a spare clutch cable tied alongside the operational one.
                      Rust, in the low spots, it there are any, and sharp bends, (improper routing) along with a lack of clean lubricant are the two most common causes of cable failure. Check the plastic housing for breaks or cracks, and if you find some, you can be sure that water will find them too. Once rust starts, it progresses, and the oxide acts as an abrasive, so you have two things working against you right there.
                      Dry lubricants can be used, and have the advantage of not attracting dust and dirt, which oils will do. The OEM cables had rubber boots that were there to keep out the worst of the grime, and if yours do not have the boots, makeshift ones can be fashioned out of some tape or shrink wrap.
                      Take care of your cable, and when you are in one of those "clutch situations", you won't have to worry.

CZ

Comment

speedometer

I have had to replace the speedometer several times...but always with a thirty year old part.
                        Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
                        80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
                        82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
                        82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
                        82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
                        72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
                        72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

Comment

Okay, I have one that hasn't been mentioned yet. Clutch Springs!!! Of course that's partly because I used some standard generic ones from Partsnmore the first time, and just a couple of years later they were slipping again, and this was with NEW frictions.

Another item I've replaced twice were my front forks, but only because of an accident the first time, the 2nd time was just poor storage/rusting!

I've also replaced the horns a couple of times. Also handlebar grips.

T.C.
                          T. C. Gresham
                          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                          History shows again and again,
                          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I'd say side covers and clutch springs. I consider cables, foot pegs and alike to be consumables.
                            '79 XS11 F
                            Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                            Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                            GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

I suppose with proper maintenance, cables should probalby only need to be replaced once in a bike's life. (thanks CZ for reminding me to lube them once in a while)
                              Foot pegs and handlegrips I can see as more than once items, Horns too, one of mine went out, but I may be able to pull it apart and get it working again.
                              Totally agree on the speedo. I'm on my 3rd with the G and my 2nd with the SG. I think with the 80/81's that only go to 85mph, once you hit that peg, forever more that speedo's life is shortened.
                              As a note to the side covers, I suppose the rubber grommets should be replaced more often, then one wouldn't lose the cover while riding down the interstate. (gone forever)

The Green Monster
                              Got him in '04.

Scarlet
                              Got her in '11
                              Ready for the twisties!

Hugo
                              Cold weather ride

Comment

Working...
                              X