Shinko tire travesty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by natemoen View Post
    I did about 11,000 last year. This year I have been too busy and have only done about 3500 so far.

11000! Where did you ride? The only rally I know you went to is The Lost Rally.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• I just cruise around locally a lot 40 miles for work every day. That's about it.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

• I ride pretty much every day all year around except for a month or 2 in the winter when some days are just too cold.

I put a new Dunlop E3 on the rear of my bike a month or so before XS Southeast last fall, I am right at 9000 miles right now because I was keeping track of how long that tire lasted, which by the way has done VERY well, and since then I have repeatedly ridden to Kansas, Arkansas, Texas, and Missouri.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• Man, I would like to have the time to ride like that. I get lucky to ride to work. For some reason almost everyday I have off, it rains.
          Jeff
          77 XS750 2D completely stock
          79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

• It's been rainy here this year too. But it was dry and hot the last couple of years so I figure it's just Mother Nature making up for it.

A little rain while your riding and the temp is 100º+ really ain't a bad thing.
            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

• Well, I was outside taking my forks off when the mail man pulled in with my new seals. I thought the price was per seal so I have 2 sets now. Oh yeah, I forgot the part about letting the air out before you take the drain nut off! Yeah that oil don't taste very good, at least it numbs your lips.
              Jeff

Comment

• Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                I just cruise around locally a lot 40 miles for work every day. That's about it.
                I'll usually go to several rallies and other long rides, but honestly, that's not where the miles get put on at. Local riding and back and forth to work is where the majority of my miles are done. Even on long rallies, I might put 3k miles on.. and even riding out to Utah and Nevada for a week, I only put on 4k. Our little rallies over to Arkansas are only @ 1k roundtrip.

BUT... I ride year round, rain or shine or even sleet/snow. Unless there's packed ice/snow on the ground, (Which is fairly rare here) there's not much chance for the fuel to go bad on the old girl.
                Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100
                *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

• Originally posted by jjz28 View Post
                  Well, I was outside taking my forks off when the mail man pulled in with my new seals. I thought the price was per seal so I have 2 sets now. Oh yeah, I forgot the part about letting the air out before you take the drain nut off! Yeah that oil don't taste very good, at least it numbs your lips.
                  OOOPPPPSS!
                  At least maybe that extra pressure might have helped 'squirt' some gunk out with the old oil.
                  I've been stalling on doing my seals on the G. He's been laid up for almost 6 months now. Just got around to pulling the forks off him last month.
                  Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
                  The Green Monster
                  K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
                  Got him in '04.
                  bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
                  Scarlet
                  K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
                  Got her in '11
                  Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
                  Hugo
                  Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
                  Cold weather ride

Comment

• hey George, they actually wasn't bad at all. I think the PO done the seals and put too many washers in the bottom. It had a flat washer, then the spacer/collar washer wich I bent, then the seal and the c-clip. shouldn't just the collar washer go on the bottom, then the seal, then the flat washer then c-clip? I bent the collar washer back and I think its fine.
                    Jeff

Comment

• Jeff, yes, the collar goes flat side down first, then the seal goes in, then the washer on the seal, and finally the clip.

A method I used on my GSX forks to install the seal was to take a piece of 1-1/4" PVC pipe about 12" long, cut a slit down the middle of it. Put the tube in the slider, put the collar down, slide the seal over the tube, then the washer over the seal. Now slide the PVC over the fork tube, it will be a tight fit. Pull the tube up and hold it up while you Slide the PVC down to about 6" above the seal sitting in place, ready to be pushed in. Now you can use the tube/PVC pipe like a slide hammer to drive it in place. Once the seal and washer are down enough for the clip to go in the slot, slide the PVC back up off the tube.
                      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                      X