Shinko tire travesty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shinko tire travesty

Recently ordered a set of Shinkos from J&P Cycles.
    I didn't get 100 yards before realizing the front was defective, wobbling handlebars not good

J&P insisted I take the bike to some tire shop I am unfamiliar with about 25 miles away to have a "warranty evaluation" done before they will honor the "satisfaction guaranteed" slogan they seem so proud of.
    I sent them pics of the more than 1/4" lateral run-out and told them I was not willing to ride the bike on that tire.
    After many dialogues and posturing, it came down to an effective "sucks to be you" attitude on their part because, if I can't get an authorized local Shinko dealer to warranty the tire THEY certainly won't.

I now have a Kenda on the front that I got from a local bike shop, the wobble and vibration is gone, the rear Shinko seems fine... so far, I'm out the cost and labor of the front Shinko, and J&P Cycles seems just fine with that.

In closing, although you may have heard that J&P Cycle now caters to "METRIC" bikes, don't!
    Also, I'll never buy Shinkos again either.
    '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Which Shinko's did you get Mike? Never had a problem with a 712.

Motorcycle Superstore is less expensive than J&P and they have free shipping for orders over $80. Can't comment on the return/warranty policy since I've never had a problem.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I guess I'm a little confused. Why not take the tire to the dealer and have them confirm the tire is bad and be done with it to get your money back?
      1979 XS1100F
      2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

I would call Shinko and inform them of the trouble you had and demand a refund on the tire. Explain to them the trouble you had with with J&P and that you were dissatisfied with the product and J&P would not hold up their end of the deal.

If that does nothing my next call is the better business bureau.
        '79 XS11 F
        Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
        Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
        GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

I got Shinkos 712 sets on both my bikes and can't complain...first set from Bike Bandit, second from Motorcycle Superstore...
          Nick

1979 XS11 F,Yamaha fairings w/hard bags, TC's fuse box, K&N air filter

1982 Virago 750 (it's alive!)

1979 XS 11 F, Windjammer IV, Samsonite luggage cases(another rescue)

Comment

I've got a few bad 712 fronts before, a 110 and a 100/90/19. I have switched to the 230 front 110, no problems yet (1 tire).
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

sorry to hear of the problem. I'm sure you have mounted more tires than me, but is there any chance it wasn't seated on the rim quite right?
              '81 XS11H Venturer - holed up in storage while life happened since 07/08/04
              '81 Kawasaki KE175 enduro - 63 mph of smokey fun, now with collector plates!

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
                I guess I'm a little confused. Why not take the tire to the dealer and have them confirm the tire is bad and be done with it to get your money back?
                I would have taken the wheel off and drove it there.You can still take it and have it evaluated.
                80 SG XS1100
                14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

You could just do a wheelie all the way to the shop?? lol.

I've bought many many Shinko 712's from Motorcycle Superstore and never had a problem... yet. Every tire manufacturer is going to get a defect occasionally. Since there are so many people having good luck with them, I wouldn't give up that quickly on them... but I would with J&P with service like that.
                  Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                  '06 Suzuki DR650
                  *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                  '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                  '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                  '81 XS1100 Special
                  '81 YZ250
                  '80 XS850 Special
                  '80 XR100
                  *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Shinko 712

Even off the wheel the defect is still discernible, looking at the center tread in cross section it is off by about 5mm left to right at one view and right to left at the 180 degree opposing view. Imagine twisting apart an Oreo cookie, then putting it back together off center.
                    But at this point, based on the communications I've had with the JP rep, I very much doubt that they will find it defective 'enough' to issue me a refund should I return it to them at my expense, and they will simply return it to me as I was already told would happen.

By the time the rep suggested that I could take the wheel assembly to the shinko dealer, I had already dropped it off at the bike shop to have the Kenda put on. The correspondences we were engaged in at that point had taken so long that I had been without a roadable bike for ten days

I guess the next option is to contact Shinko directly, or take the tire and my records the the dealer some 25 miles away. I really doubt at this point I will get satisfaction from either party. Shinko probably won't care about ONE tire from ONE customer that is already resigned not to purchase from them again, and the local dealer would likely not be willing to issue a refund for a tire they didn't sell.
                    '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

Comment

I am really confused here. Did you ask to speak to the customer service manager? Or that rep's boss? Don't be a push-over and DEMAND the refund that ur entitled to!!!
                      1979 XS1100F
                      2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerMike View Post
                        Shinko probably won't care about ONE tire from ONE customer that is already resigned not to purchase from them again, and the local dealer would likely not be willing to issue a refund for a tire they didn't sell.
                        Shinko is really starting to try harder to make their name, if they are serious and care at all about their customer service they will care and will help you, I would contact them and straight up say if this isn't taken care of I will never buy from you again and make sure everyone I know will also never buy from you. Usually they will make it right.
                        Nathan
                        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                        K&N Filter
                        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                        OEM Exhaust
                        ATK Fork Brace
                        LED Dash lights
                        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                        SS Brake Lines
                        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Just got off the phone with a different service rep, She E-mailed me a prepaid shipping label, and told me I would get a full refund of purchase price upon receipt of defective tire and not just an in-store credit. Now I seem to be getting somewhere, we'll see...

By the way, motorcycle superstore is actually higher on that particular tire, but not much, the free shipping would make it cheaper.
                          '78 E "Stormbringer"

Comment

I couldn't keep Dunlop 404's from eating up, so I switched to Shinko Tourmasters, and have been very happy. They bought all the tooling from Yokohama, and have improved their product ever since. I work for a Toyota dealership (parts dept.) and see bad tires no matter what the brand name says on the sidewall!
                            Richard
                            '79 XS1100SF "Phantom Stranger" full fairing w/radio and cd player, H-D Roadking trunk, everything else stock
                            '02 Honda VTX1800C

Comment

Originally posted by XSive Okie View Post
                              I couldn't keep Dunlop 404's from eating up, so I switched to Shinko Tourmasters, and have been very happy. They bought all the tooling from Yokohama, and have improved their product ever since. I work for a Toyota dealership (parts dept.) and see bad tires no matter what the brand name says on the sidewall!
                              I agree, and said as much to the first rep, something like 'all producers of all kinds of products are subject to an occasional defect, the better companies stand behind their product. Or in the case of a retailer like JP, stand behind what they sell'.
                              I too ate up a set of D404s, front was cupped and both were showing early signs of dry rot.
                              As far as Shinko goes, I'll keep the rear one until such a time that it gives me reason not to, but buying them again, the phrase "once bitten, twice shy" comes to mind.
                              '78 E "Stormbringer"

Comment

Working...
                              X