No announcement yet.

Shinko tire travesty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doesn't sludge help control damping and fork dive?

After thirty years you're just getting everything all nice and sludged up to where the forks damp and the front end doesn't dive and you want to clean it?

-- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Plus 1 for 3phase!
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

The by products of oil being smashed and squashed and micro metal particles from 30+ years accumulating in the bottom nether regions of the fork has to be cleaned out, but I do not think it has to be done at each fork fluid change.

With Courtney's method, I would run a bit of kerosene into the valve, pump the fork around and drain. I bet the crud that comes out is many shades nastier looking than anything that's come out in 25 years of doing straight oil in and straight oil out. (Courtney, humor me on this one ) Then put some ATF in the fork, cause its cheap, pump the fork to basically flush out the kerosene, drain it and then fill with your fluid of choice to the desired level.

Fwiw, I added a bit more fluid to each fork than called for, made the fork respond more to my liking in the ride and brake dive departments vs adding more air to the tubes.
        Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Since Courtney never had a leak, he probably doesn't have the sludge since dirt hasn't gotten in there. Or maybe I'm totally wrong on that, but I just asked for a band aid until winter cause I was just going to ride it anyway. I think its a really good idea to get someone by a few months so your not getting fork oil all over the place or running it dry.
          Jeff
          77 XS750 2D completely stock
          79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

Just piping in with my 2 cents worth. These forks are oil air charged so you have air in them not nitrogen etc etc. Air when heated and cooled expecially in a confined space creates moisture. Moisture makes rust. Water in oil makes sludge. Rust and sludge stick to everything. Rust is hard to remove and sludge is just about as bad.

I do not see where you can simply put any type cleaner in and get this crap flushed out. I'd almost bet anything you put in to clean it will damage the seals. Also its what you can't see that kills you.

Now I can see where people who drain and refill often and store their bike where where is does not freeze and thaw would have less trash but all and all the only way would be to pull it out and inspect.

Would not be nice to be at high speed hit the front brakes have it dive one rusty spring break putting you into a tank slapping wobble. But if you obey all laws never speed never overload you are PROBABLY safe.
            To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
            1980 G Silverbird
            Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
            1198 Overbore kit
            Grizzly 660 ACCT
            Barnett Clutch Springs
            R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
            122.5 Main Jets
            ACCT Mod
            Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
            Antivibe Bar ends
            Rear trunk add-on
            http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

With respect to putting a cleaner in there, kerosene is an oil fuel, and as such poses no risk to the fork seal, and it's only in there for a matter of a few moments to flush stuff out, then chase it with some ATF. NOT A PROBLEM in reality.

Don't understand why so much negativity, per se, comes out when folks in general come up with a good trick or method and it gets poo-poo'd left and right.

I'm guilty of it too, and it would be helpful for all of us to be open to things and learn them, such as I have in the cct thread some may have been following. If a guy wants to run Mazola in his crankcase for an oil change interval, let him know it ain't a good idea, K?

I think that makes the point?
              Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
                With respect to putting a cleaner in there, kerosene is an oil fuel, and as such poses no risk to the fork seal, and it's only in there for a matter of a few moments to flush stuff out, then chase it with some ATF. NOT A PROBLEM in reality.

Don't understand why so much negativity, per se, comes out when folks in general come up with a good trick or method and it gets poo-poo'd left and right.

I'm guilty of it too, and it would be helpful for all of us to be open to things and learn them, such as I have in the cct thread some may have been following. If a guy wants to run Mazola in his crankcase for an oil change interval, let him know it ain't a good idea, K?

Any friction modifiers in that Maxola? BTW, glad you've finially pampered the SG with an ACCA.
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Any friction modifiers in that Mazola? BTW, glad you've finially pampered the SG with an ACCT.
                  81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I couldn't stand the pressure you were putting on me!
                    Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Its not so much downing a quick fix as it is making sure everyone knows the pitfalls. There are a lot of things that work fine for the general user but the best thing about this site is all the positive and negative are given.

A person who knows something about his/her bike is very different from a newbie on here. Say for instance someone comes up with a quick get around or fix for their bike that is a great thing. However there are newbies and lurkers here who have never even seen this bike and now have one. Its only fair that all the information is in the thread or at least enough to point anyone in a safe direction. Some of these bikes have been POed to death a guy that has just gotten a 30 year old bike I suggest taking the springs out and checking things rather than the mix of cleaners and thinking everthing is just fine.
                      To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
                      1980 G Silverbird
                      Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
                      1198 Overbore kit
                      Grizzly 660 ACCT
                      Barnett Clutch Springs
                      R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
                      122.5 Main Jets
                      ACCT Mod
                      Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
                      Antivibe Bar ends
                      Rear trunk add-on
                      http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

In general, folks taking this kind of bike on as an owner have this whole site and a search function to use. In the everyday life of the forum, it makes threads laborious when discussion goes the way of "just in case". It happens almost without fail, each time a tip or trick is posted.

I don't have the answer, but would like to be able to talk about stuff without getting the litany each time about the most correct way to do things in case someone is lurking or new.
                        Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Good to Know

Originally posted by ManagerMike View Post
                          Recently ordered a set of Shinkos from J&P Cycles.
                          I didn't get 100 yards before realizing the front was defective, wobbling handlebars not good

J&P insisted I take the bike to some tire shop I am unfamiliar with about 25 miles away to have a "warranty evaluation" done before they will honor the "satisfaction guaranteed" slogan they seem so proud of.
                          I sent them pics of the more than 1/4" lateral run-out and told them I was not willing to ride the bike on that tire.
                          After many dialogues and posturing, it came down to an effective "sucks to be you" attitude on their part because, if I can't get an authorized local Shinko dealer to warranty the tire THEY certainly won't.

I now have a Kenda on the front that I got from a local bike shop, the wobble and vibration is gone, the rear Shinko seems fine... so far, I'm out the cost and labor of the front Shinko, and J&P Cycles seems just fine with that.

In closing, although you may have heard that J&P Cycle now caters to "METRIC" bikes, don't!
                          Also, I'll never buy Shinkos again either.
                          Good to let people know when you have a problem with a particular dealer or product esp. here where a lot of people can be advised. That is the best way to get them to screw their heads back on when they read (and hear) people in quantity speaking badly of them and promising not to use them or their product again.

It is too late (for them) when this happens as they usually cannot recover the amount lost due to bad publicity. As this point is when they wish that they had done something else to "please the customer" the first time.

We have all had some bad experiences in the past - Let them and all your friends know about it!

I recently had a problem with an Ebay vendor's product. He wanted the part returned for evaluation. I gave him the option of sending a call tag for it, but he would not. So I gave him a negative rating. He can figure it out from here.
                          FYI, it was a carburetor kit for a 4 wheeler that would not work. The vendors name is offroadidaho. Buyer beware!

MP
                          1981 XS1100H Venturer
                          K&N Air Filter
                          ACCT
                          Custom Paint by Deitz
                          Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                          Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                          Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                          Stebel Nautilus Horn
                          EBC Front Rotors
                          Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by ViperRon View Post
                            Its not so much downing a quick fix as it is making sure everyone knows the pitfalls. There are a lot of things that work fine for the general user but the best thing about this site is all the positive and negative are given.

A person who knows something about his/her bike is very different from a newbie on here. Say for instance someone comes up with a quick get around or fix for their bike that is a great thing. However there are newbies and lurkers here who have never even seen this bike and now have one. Its only fair that all the information is in the thread or at least enough to point anyone in a safe direction. Some of these bikes have been POed to death a guy that has just gotten a 30 year old bike I suggest taking the springs out and checking things rather than the mix of cleaners and thinking everthing is just fine.
                            I absolutely agree with this statement! I have met far more lurkers on here than members. On any given day the lurkers are up to 10 times the number of members. The other day I was on here and 6 members were online but 77 people were using the site. The importance of what we advise is seen by others and followed whether we are correct or not. One will never know how much heartache he may save by posting the "cons" to a posted idea.

In general, folks taking this kind of bike on as an owner have this whole site and a search function to use. In the everyday life of the forum, it makes threads laborious when discussion goes the way of "just in case". It happens almost without fail, each time a tip or trick is posted.

I don't have the answer, but would like to be able to talk about stuff without getting the litany each time about the most correct way to do things in case someone is lurking or new.
                            I agree that they have to whole forum and the search function to use. Will they ...."No". Half of them do not join so their searches or rather questions go unanswered.
                            Yes it does make the forum "Tedious" and that fact has made many a good member drop out. If a tip or trick is posted that is new and has not been discussed before the members are happy to acknowledge it and if it is really good they promote it! Just check out any posts about transmission repairs or carb tips, tools, 850/750 final drives or anything else you choose.
                            I myself and as a matter of fact, I believe that every long time member here, has been corrected quite a few times. The litany is produced by our desire to get the best possible information available for these old bikes period. This site could end up being the absolute best site to be on if we proceed as we are. I believe it is already but my thoughts are mine.
                            If you are thin skinned then approach it as you will get flack, so be sure of what you are posting. Then be aware that if you post that the sky is blue that someone will disagree as it will be stormy there.
                            2-79 XS1100 SF
                            2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                            80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                            Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Good points, Ras! Honestly did not realize we have so many lurkers, and forgot that search doesn't work unless you are a member.
                              Last edited by Bonz; 07-25-2013, 12:15 AM.
                              Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Originally posted by tarzan View Post
                                I would agree with Rasputin on this one. Every old Xs I have gotten and went through the forks(total disassembly), I have found sludge in The bottom of the forks. Adding clean oil to that sludge will just contaminate it fairly quickly.
                                +1. That crud is thick and sometimes hard to get it all out.

The seals are designed to keep the oil and air in, not keep dirt out. Any dirt that may be on the fork tubes will slip past the seals on the way down but be scraped off on the inside by the lip of the seal. Very small amounts but over time builds up and sinks to the bottom. Gravity works.
                                Last edited by BA80; 07-25-2013, 05:47 AM.
                                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                                X