No announcement yet.

Shinko tire travesty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did download the manuals but need to do it again since I got a virus and had to redo my computer to like new. I don't know why I am so worried about the forks. I am going to wait till winter and just do the seals. thanks.
    Jeff
    77 XS750 2D completely stock
    79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

Originally posted by jjz28 View Post
      So, its possible to stop the leak without disassembling the forks? I would love to give that a shot. How do you add it to your forks? I know nothing about forks, don't even know how to put the fluid in. Could someone tell me how to add this stop leak to my forks. You could pm me if wanted. Thanks a lot.

Sorry I took so long to answer this, haven't been following the thread. IF your bike is a special you have schraeder valves on top to add air to your front forks. I do, so I simply undid the front fork drains at the bottom of the fork legs, and pumped up and down on the forks until the oil was all out. I let it drain overnight too, and made sure I did it on a hot day to help the oil thin out a bit. Then I took out each schraeder valve and using a big syringe with a big needle on it, (farm supplies places have them) I injected the right amount of this http://www.citiesedge.com/Bel-Ray-Co...ductId=9866284 I had no need to undo the big caps on top of the forks and then try to get them on again. Worked like a charm, and I've done this every couple of years. No leaks yet after 20+ yrs of owning this bike. HTH.
      Bone stock 1980 Special except for the exhaust and crashbars. Oh yeah, and the scabbard for the Winchester Defender.

Comment

That's the "Festus" method in the tech tips, fwiw.

Removing the fork caps is not a big deal, if anything to wipe dirty stuff off the spring itself and pour a bit of kerosene in there after draining the tubes (put drain screws back in), work it up and down to flush out the stubborn stuff you won't get out otherwise. Let it drain a bit more and you are good to go with your fluid of choice.

Not pulling the tops is kinda like not changing the oil filter over years and just draining the oil and replacing it.
        Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Great minds think alike....

I was doing that Festus Method 25 yrs ago, long before it was posted here. Works great, and I still have the original fork seals, so not too worried about kerosene and oil filter analogy, but to each his own for sure Bonz!
          Bone stock 1980 Special except for the exhaust and crashbars. Oh yeah, and the scabbard for the Winchester Defender.

Comment

Yeah, just posting up the "Festus" method since it's in the Tech Tips.

My G and SG were not taken care of in the fork department until I got them, and draining that crap out made it seem like a good thing to do and pull the tubes for full cleaning. Glad I did, got a lot out that draining did not, but yours aren't neglected so that really doesn't play for you.

The small amount of kerosene/gas was used cleaning the tubes on another persons bike (filthy inside) and the tubes weren't taken off for the sake of the time we had to do the work. That really flushed out the junk.
            Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

The "Festus" method is pushing the oil in from the bottom thru the drain hole.
              Taking the schrader valve out and putting the oil in the top is a better/cleaner way I think.
              Of course that'll only work for those of us that have air valves on top of our forks, some do not and have to either take the cap off or push it in from the bottom.
              Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
              The Green Monster
              K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
              Got him in '04.
              bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
              Scarlet
              K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
              Got her in '11
              Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
              Hugo
              Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
              Cold weather ride

Comment

Totally correct. I read Courtney's post wrong, and didn't catch the schraeder valve fill point. That's a great tip.

Courtney, you have the rights to the "Qwick Courtney" fork oil change method!
                Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

I made a tool for removing the cap on the air forks. It's simply a piece of pvc with a cap on one end. I cut a rectangular hole in the pvc cap to fit the top of the fork. This simple tool gives me the necessary leverage to remove and install the fork top easily.
                  Marty (in Mississippi)
                  XS1100SG
                  XS650SK
                  XS650SH
                  XS650G
                  XS6502F
                  XS650E

Comment

Festus

I did the fetus method 1st time on my 79 back in 80 something. On my 50+ 650s I always took the caps off and springs out.
                    76 XS650 C ROADSTER
                    80 XS650 G Special II
                    https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
                    80 XS 1100 SG
                    81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
                    https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
                    AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

What's the "fetus" method?
                      Marty (in Mississippi)
                      XS1100SG
                      XS650SK
                      XS650SH
                      XS650G
                      XS6502F
                      XS650E

Comment

Yes, what is that method? LOL...
                        Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
                          Totally correct. I read Courtney's post wrong, and didn't catch the schraeder valve fill point. That's a great tip.

Courtney, you have the rights to the "Qwick Courtney" fork oil change method!
                          Thanks Bonz, I didn't even take the full valve assembly out, I just remove the "core" with a standard bicycle tool, fill the fork, then put the core back in the valve body.

Comment

I have to disagree with this method as the forks I have had apart while changing the oil were in very bad need of cleaning. If you have 25 yrs of doing it this way I would venture to say that you also have 25 yrs of crud built up in places you have never seen.
                            If you were the only rider on that bike I would say there is a possibility your method may work. I would hate to steer someone who just bought a 30+ year old bike wrong and say this would be a good idea. Unless you know the history it is always far better to play it safe and do the job completely. That fork oil could possibly be the original oil.
                            I just wish I had the capabilities to take a pic of some of the insides of the fork tubes I have had apart. The sludge in there is considerable and the way it will affect the handling is not good. We all talk about fork emulators and fork seals, new springs, air pressure etc. To me the best thing you can do for handling is clean and refill the forks with the correct amount of fork oil.
                            Not trying to give you a hard time Courtney but lives depend on handling of these old girls and that is one thing I will never shortcut on.
                            2-79 XS1100 SF
                            2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                            80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                            Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Can't dispute your logic Rasputin, you have to do what sets your mind at ease for safety. I HAVE owned the bike for 25 yrs, but have never had the forks apart, since they have never leaked and I don't tend to disassemble things unless I have a problem. I don't know what would cause buildup of crud in what is supposed to be a closed system, unless it is dirt getting past the fork seals??? In any case, would LOVE to see what crud there is if someone has some pics. I follow the fork oil change schedule from the manual, and maybe that's why I don't have any problems Next time I change the oil, I will pay more attention to the color of the oil as to if it's nasty looking or not!

Comment

I would agree with Rasputin on this one. Every old Xs I have gotten and went through the forks(total disassembly), I have found sludge in The bottom of the forks. Adding clean oil to that sludge will just contaminate it fairly quickly.
                                Last edited by tarzan; 07-23-2013, 08:14 PM.
                                80 SG XS1100
                                14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Working...
                                X