No announcement yet.

wheelies 101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The internals of the engine rotate like a log rolling toward the rear of the bike. Standing on the kickstand-side, it is rotating clockwise. The thrust of this motion pushes the case and frame in the opposite direction, pushing the front wheel downward, and lifting the rear.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

... Deleted.
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

The engine does rotate towards the rear of the bike torquing the front down which is completely opposite of others that torque towards the front torquing the front upwards. The case will try it's hardest to turn in the opposite direction of crankshaft rotation.

Ride a Suzuki or Kawasaki 1000 or 1100 and see how easy it is to pull the front wheel up. It's not because they have more power it's because the engine torque lifts the front.

You see drag cars when they take off from the line and the left front wheel lifts? That's because the engine is turning to the left and the engine block is trying to spin to the right and actually twists the frame.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
          I've read this a couple times now and it makes no sense. The motor rotates backwards, meaning clockwise, meaning it's spinning a direction that would be more inclined to RAISE the front from torque. Is this just one of those rumors that someone heard and ran with it?

Also, what makes the rear want to rise has nothing to do with the motor, but the gears trying to climb up each other.
          +1, dead-on..........pinion gear is trying to climb the ring gear and that force pushes the suspension up......................and if U got a mid 11sec. car the right wheel will lift.........and a good 'hookup' both get air.....
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
            +1, dead-on..........pinion gear is trying to climb the ring gear and that force pushes the suspension up......................and if U got a mid 11sec. car the right wheel will lift.........and a good 'hookup' both get air.....
            I agree about the suspension our engines turn on a different axis than a car. Here's a video of my manager where I works' white S10. If you watch closely the right wheel lifts before the other one. http://youtu.be/6LjMJgTj48A .

We HAVE 11 second bikes, in therory I've never made a run to find out, so by what your saying we should be able to pull the wheel easily because the suspnsion smashing that rear wheel into the ground certainly gives you a "hook up" just like a set of traction bars, and we should except we are fighting engine torque. I think it is a helluva design myself.
            Last edited by BA80; 09-15-2012, 04:30 AM.
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
              ...so by what your saying we should be able to pull the wheel easily because the suspnsion smashing that rear wheel into the ground certainly gives you a "hook up" just like a set of traction bars, and we should except we are fighting engine torque. I think it is a helluva design myself.
              It is easy to bring the front up... originally I didnt think so but I've since chanced my mind after doing it accidentally. Then I practiced it on purpose and found its relatively easy, it just takes some clutch control and balls that clang b/c its a little hary with that much weight on one wheel. From a rolling start, 2000 to 2500 rpm in first, pull the clutch 3/4 in wrap the rpm up to 6000 and drop it.
              '79 XS11 F
              Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
              Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
              GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Yup, popping the clutch will do it, not quite as easily with the taller gears in the FD but doable. The horsepower will overcome the downward torque.

Not trying to argue or anything but anyone with the knowledge of the effects of torque will have to agree that with the engine turning the direction it does will torque the front of the engine down and since the engine is attached to the frame it will have an affect on pulling the front up. That is simple physics.
                Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

I agree about the suspension our engines turn on a different axis than a car. Here's a video of my manager where I works' white S10. If you watch closely the right wheel lifts before the other one. http://youtu.be/6LjMJgTj48A .

We HAVE 11 second bikes, in therory I've never made a run to find out, so by what your saying we should be able to pull the wheel easily because the suspnsion smashing that rear wheel into the ground certainly gives you a "hook up" just like a set of traction bars, and we should except we are fighting engine torque. I think it is a helluva design myself.
                  That it is Greg, whether by design or all just worked out that way,that torque is definitely ALL transfered to where the tire meets the pavement. The 'boat' the Venturer is compared to a 'naked' Special definitely shows at the end of the 1320. Barn door and rest of the baggage, after doin the tranny fix pounded out three hard runs at the local 1320 here and high 13's @ just under 100mph, That was with having .420react times and at 4800ft.elev. Likely sea-level runs could knock another half second of that and maybe even a whole second considering my clutch would 'turn loose' a bit midway into third. Anyway, just did that for a test to see if my fix was gonna hold with 8500rpm full throttle held speed shifts. Twas fun, made me miss the winning days at the strip with my 64Goat/70RamAir IV Judge motor.
                  Last edited by motoman; 09-15-2012, 12:50 PM.
                  81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                    8500rpm full throttle held speed shifts.
                    That's EXACTLY what did in my second gear. Missed it once too many times.

But when I catch it it will pull the front wheel a few inches even with the 850 FD.
                    Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

That's EXACTLY what did in my second gear. Missed it once too many times.

But when I catch it it will pull the front wheel a few inches even with the 850 FD.
                      Stock gearing two-up, even carries a ways in second, and full dresser to boot, but that was a couple decades ago performing these kinda antics giving no thought to the actual abuse created. Tods pictures show exactly how all that finially takes a toll on vital parts.

Comment

8500rpm full throttle held speed shifts.

Power curve starts dropping earlier than that. It fallas off pretty good after @ 7500. I like to keep it in the 6k to @ 7300, but it actually peaks on a dyno in stock form just under 7k.

So.. you might have got that extra half second riding it in the zone.. assuming the Venturer is similar.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                        '06 Suzuki DR650
                        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                        '81 XS1100 Special
                        '81 YZ250
                        '80 XS850 Special
                        '80 XR100

Comment

Power curve starts dropping earlier than that. It fallas off pretty good after @ 7500. I like to keep it in the 6k to @ 7300, but it actually peaks on a dyno in stock form just under 7k.

So.. you might have got that extra half second riding it in the zone.. assuming the Venturer is similar.
                          Very true, and havin' to go to fourth in the area of 100yds. short of finish and that barn door with the taller than stock 25" windshield arguing with mother nature made it work hard by then with slowed up gains by then.

Comment

Ehh... Some of US are as big as barn doors and push almost as much wind on a naked bike as that fairing. With the old Shoei fairing I had on, it actually gave me a higher top end and better MPG than no fairing. It cut the wind really well. It was broken in several pieces.. it and guardrails don't play well together. I have a guy that has been SLLLLLOOOOOWWWWLLLLY putting it back together, but he has a new kid with another on the way and hasn't had a lot of time to work on it. They are apparently like hens teeth though. I tried calling Shoei and asking for some parts (A new turn signal) and got a kid saying, "We don't make fairings, we just make helmets.." Finally talked to one of the old hands in the back shop and was told they haven't made fairings in over 20 years. I found where I can buy a new OEM one, but they're @ $450 and they only had a white and some other color, so I'd have to get it painted on top of that cost. This is a pic of it on the bike when I actually would clean and polish the bike occasionally. lol.

Current bikes:
                            '06 Suzuki DR650
                            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                            '81 XS1100 Special
                            '81 YZ250
                            '80 XS850 Special
                            '80 XR100

Comment

Ehh... Some of US are as big as barn doors and push almost as much wind on a naked bike as that fairing. With the old Shoei fairing I had on, it actually gave me a higher top end and better MPG than no fairing. It cut the wind really well. It was broken in several pieces.. it and guardrails don't play well together. I have a guy that has been SLLLLLOOOOOWWWWLLLLY putting it back together, but he has a new kid with another on the way and hasn't had a lot of time to work on it. They are apparently like hens teeth though. I tried calling Shoei and asking for some parts (A new turn signal) and got a kid saying, "We don't make fairings, we just make helmets.." Finally talked to one of the old hands in the back shop and was told they haven't made fairings in over 20 years. I found where I can buy a new OEM one, but they're @ $450 and they only had a white and some other color, so I'd have to get it painted on top of that cost. This is a pic of it on the bike when I actually would clean and polish the bike occasionally. lol.

Interesting.............frontal/side section looks almost like the Vetter made Yammy fairing on my Venturer with same signal/clearance lites recessed locations and underside curve....BTW, nice lookin' 'J' havin the Special exhaust on it. Looks good.
                              Last edited by motoman; 09-16-2012, 11:26 AM.

Comment

With a 2-1 and tuned, the power band can be much higher in the rev range, though. At least my G with the yoshi pipe and pods was--peak power closer to 8K on the dyno--with the corresponding flat spot at 3-4K.

I fixed my wheelie problem...since its got more power and torque than an XS 1100, and the engine turns the right way, I put on wheelie pipes!

Seriously does have more power and torque than the 11, just weights almost twice what my G did!!
                                Healthy is merely the slowest rate at which you can die

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Working...
                                X