wheelies 101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wheelies 101

Been trying to hold a wheelie with my xs with no luck yet. This is the 1st bike I've ever been besides my 1st xs, and prob a hard bike to learn wheelies on cause its so heavy I'm guessing. Once I get the front tire off the ground, I feel like if I keep holding the throttle the bike will flip so I let go and it immeadiately drops. Should I be using the back brake to balance myself out?? Am I just being timid and should keep holding the throttle? Advice please... other than "don't do wheelies"

Never tried to do any, the bike is heavy and I'd be worried about hurting it if I did dump it not to mention injuries to myself. Also think it adds unneeded stress on parts but thats just me and I can't afford replacing them, maybe getting old and finally wising up..lol.
    Becareful either way.
    81 H

Comment

Originally posted by adam79 View Post
      Advice please... other than "don't do wheelies"
      Make sure your health insurance premiums are paid up.

Honestly, this bike is HEAVY and all the weight is up front, even your weight is substantially in front of the rear wheel. So it is going to take some careful throttle work to keep the front end up close to the balance point and not go over backwards. By the same token, it will take alot of throttle to lift it that high also, I am guessing it will go sideways on you before you get there.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Been trying to hold a wheelie with my xs with no luck yet. This is the 1st bike I've ever been besides my 1st xs, and prob a hard bike to learn wheelies on cause its so heavy I'm guessing. Once I get the front tire off the ground, I feel like if I keep holding the throttle the bike will flip so I let go and it immeadiately drops. Should I be using the back brake to balance myself out?? Am I just being timid and should keep holding the throttle? Advice please... other than "don't do wheelies"
        Well, with that pinion gear trying to climb the ring gear(hence the rear lift under power) it can farily difficult to lift the front far. Younger and fearless, used to be able to ride out a wheelie two up on my full dress Venturer with a little finess on the rear brake. But alas, used to also ride 250expert class in the motocross world too. The strongest reason I now oppose this sort of antic on THESE bikes is 30+ yrs. of metal flexing causing metal fatigue. Thats alot of force from the weight when it hits back on the wheel any way you cut it, and behind the steering neck and lower frame where centerstand mount is located is where the weak places WILL rear their ugly head performing this type of riding......and hopefully that 'ugly' doesn't show itself later on while rolling 70+mph on the 'slab'......just sayin....
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Epic Troll ??

stop it, you are giving all bikers a bad name, you want to do that nonsense, at least get a bike made for it, like an R6
          1979 XS1100
          Was going to be a ratbike, instead it is
          Turning into a "Labour of Love" Restoration...

Comment

If your front wheel will even leave the ground, you've got one up on me. Then again, I don't know that the capability is a good thing or not... There is absolutely no way my front wheel could lift off the ground, no matter how hard I tried.
            1980 XS850SG - Sold
            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
            -H. Ford

Comment

The main problem with a sustained wheelie on these bikes is sluggish throttle response, (Compared to a modern FI bike) along with slack in the whole drive train and a horrible HP to weight ratio.(Again.. compared to something more modern.) And yes, you control wheelies with the throttle and back brake.

The other problem is that they just aren't designed for that type of riding. I've done easily hundreds of wheelies.. not really trying to ride them out.. and if you do it much, you'll become very acquainted with the inner workings of the motor/transmission/clutch. Much like this bearing on the main clutch shaft I tore up that requires a case splitting...

Or the final drive gears...

Or the U-joint...

Or the forks and seals you'll likely blow out and steering head bearings you'll notch from the tremendous force against them landing a 600 pound bike from a wheelie.. etc.

Just get a big ol' pile of parts like I have and have a blast! Remember how fun that was while you are constantly working on your bike... if you manage to actually never flip it over.
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I'm not very timid but have had a hell of a time keepin the wheel off the ground for any longer than a few seconds. Not plannin on using it as a stunt bike just like having fun. Thanks for the advice and it all seems reasonable, I just don't have anything to compare this bike to cause I've only ridden an xs1100, besides a little dirt bike. The back end lifting up from the shaft drive makes things interesting as well. My frame has no warping or rust underneath i checked but i guess I don't know if metal fatige is visible.. Probably picking up an 82 gs1100e eventually, is that bike as heavy as this one?

Comment

As others have said, my biggest concern would be breaking something or blowing out the forks when you came down.
                  Nate

78 XS11 "Matilda" 2H7 000364

2001 Raptor ACCT, T.C. Fuse Box, TC Bros Forward Controls
                  Kuryakyn Iso Grips/Throttleboss/Bar End Mirror, Custom Covered Seat
                  Shinko 712s, HID Headlight, RC Performance Exhaust
                  Bikemaster Daytona Handlebars, Galfer SS Brake Lines
                  Barnett HD Clutch Springs, T.C. Spin On Filter Adapter
                  K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
                  81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

I'm not very timid but have had a hell of a time keepin the wheel off the ground for any longer than a few seconds. Not plannin on using it as a stunt bike just like having fun. Thanks for the advice and it all seems reasonable, I just don't have anything to compare this bike to cause I've only ridden an xs1100, besides a little dirt bike. The back end lifting up from the shaft drive makes things interesting as well. My frame has no warping or rust underneath i checked but i guess I don't know if metal fatige is visible.. Probably picking up an 82 gs1100e eventually, is that bike as heavy as this one?
                    Yup, the XS, KZ andGS all fall in the same weight range. Pics definitely show what abuse over time causes.......and trbig USED to be the sites 'flagship' punishment tester........himself AND the bike(s)............if there ever was a part of these scoots that were considered 'bullet' proof............Tod had the 'round' to punch thru it and prove otherwise.
                    Last edited by motoman; 08-30-2012, 08:35 PM.
                    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

On top of weight, shaft drive, etc., ya have a motor that turns backwards to most motors. The reciprocating force actually pushes the front end downwards. These bikes were really designed to transmit power to the rear wheel efficiently. Remember, the factory was trying to build a 1/4 mile winner.

Comment

'80 XS1100 SG
                        Don't let the good times pass you by..grab all you can
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Z4cjUlIo4

Comment

Hell yeah!!

Comment

Hey Adam,

How are you doing your wheelie? My bike is also a special, but I have 4" over length front folks so I've got the engine and frame up a bit higher already. I've also got the little 1179cc big bore kit, so it does have a "little" more oomph, but not so much more that stock.

When I took it to the local racetrack several years ago...just to see what it would do in a formal time trial and such, on my second run...these were just fun trips...but they paired you with other bikes anyways...and there was this H-D with a screamin eagle kit, extended rear swingarm, but I wanted to try to make a good showing. He had beat me off the line in the first run, but once I got it wound up, I stayed right with him...albeit BEHIND him!

So...I was on the line, had it revved to 5k, and tried fanning the clutch but I had on some bulky gloves....thought I was near the end of the clutch travel and so I dumped the rest, and WHAM, the front end flew up almost to the point of flipping over backwards! Fortunately I have long legs and dropped them down back off the pegs, and also was somehow able to grasp the throttle and turn it back down and brought the front end back down, then continued on my way humbly down the track.

The next round at the starting lights, the staging fellow had a bit of fun mocking my antics as I rolled up to the lights! I had a friend video taping my runs, he got my first one, but didn't realize I had come around for the 2nd time, and so he missed getting my faux paux on film!

SO...I have a few clips of my PATHETIC showings on my Youtube account under the username topcatgr if you want to look for them.

SO....trying to do a straight throttle blip roll on wheelie is very hard to do on these, and you'll want to get it rolling but then you'll need to crank the throttle and do a combo clutch dump to bring it up, but definitely be ready on the rear brake lever!

As the STOCK photo shows, an experienced rider CAN wheelie these machines, but they take quite a bit of skill...mostly what I DON'T have in this regard. I'm not condoning this as a habitual activity, as stated, severe frame and engine /drivetrain components stress can be more than what they can handle. I've been able to do the occasional throttle twist wheelie without the clutch dumping, but I've got a head start with my raised front end.

Be careful out there. T.C.
                            T. C. Gresham
                            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                            History shows again and again,
                            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Watching my buddy dump his bike at speed beside me cured me of that wheely sh*t. When the bike went down his hand got trapped in the brake pull and he looked up at me with this oh no look in his eyes as he skidded down the road. I'm sure it was only a short time but it seemed like forever. If you don't dump it you'll blow out 2nd gear over time..
                              79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
                              80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
                              80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
                              79 DT 100

Comment

Working...
                              X