tkat question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tkat question

Does anyone have a TKat brace without the lip at the top of the clamp for the slider cap to go on to?
    "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
    1981 LH

China

That looks like one of those Chinese pirated copies of a tkat brace....

Oh - never seen one that way.

John
    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
      That looks like one of those Chinese pirated copies of a tkat brace....

Oh - never seen one that way.

John
      the heat must be gettin to ya John.......now if I could just figure out what dpotter is up to......?
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

no AC

my AC system is being replaced on the first record setting 104 degree heat day in San Antonio.,.. it is HOT...

I have never seen a brace without the lip - the lip catches the rubber boot.

If it doesn't have one maybe its an early prototype design...

John
        John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
        '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
        Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Maybe hard for you to phantom since havin' ridin in Colo., but two days ago 106 and 102's every day since here John! Those TKat pieces he's showing have the raise lip for the dust seals as they should. The way I understood him, was he wants some without the upper lip on them. That was the reason I was wondering what his intentions were. His only option would be to chuck them up in a lathe and machine them flush with top. Still wonderin' what he has in store doing this.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
            Maybe hard for you to phantom since havin' ridin in Colo., but two days ago 106 and 102's every day since here John! Those TKat pieces he's showing have the raise lip for the dust seals as they should. The way I understood him, was he wants some without the upper lip on them. That was the reason I was wondering what his intentions were. His only option would be to chuck them up in a lathe and machine them flush with top. Still wonderin' what he has in store doing this.
            Nope. I didn't look close enough at the one I bought on fleabay. It was sold as coming off an "E" so I bought it for my "F".
            It does not fit. I contacted him and he says he took it off the "E" but it looks brand new. Not cleaned up nice, BRAND NEW and I don't know what I'm talking about. I want to send it back. he does not want it...
            here's the listing
            http://www.ebay.com/itm/221048301739...84.m1439.l2649
            "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

1980 LG
            1981 LH

Comment

The one you've got is for a Special; the center 'X' part is raised up to clear the fender. The 'standard units aren't raised.

The standard/special fork sliders are different diameters at the dust seals, that's why it won't fit...
              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '80SG restified, red SOLD
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Steve. It was sold as having been on an E model. I was trying to put it on my F. It does not fit on my F, nor does it fit LG or LH for that matter.

Notice the lack of lip for the dust seal in the ebay listing? That's what I'm asking about. The picture in my post id from tkats website, maybe thats confusing.

1980 LG
                1981 LH

Comment

Yep, missed that. So, it's wrong two ways... wrong design to be a standard brace, and not even for a XS11...

Or, somebody modified it for some reason.
                  Last edited by crazy steve; 06-26-2012, 05:19 PM.
                  Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                  '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                  '82 XJ rebuild project
                  '80SG restified, red SOLD
                  '79F parts...
                  '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                  '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                  '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                  '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                  Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                  Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by dpotter58 View Post
                    Nope. I didn't look close enough at the one I bought on fleabay. It was sold as coming off an "E" so I bought it for my "F".
                    It does not fit. I contacted him and he says he took it off the "E" but it looks brand new. Not cleaned up nice, BRAND NEW and I don't know what I'm talking about. I want to send it back. he does not want it...
                    here's the listing
                    http://www.ebay.com/itm/221048301739...84.m1439.l2649
                    Are they loose or tight? They kind of look like they might be for a special, but not a t-kat.
                    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                    Vetter Windjammer IV
                    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                    OEM Luggage Rack
                    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                    Spade Fuse Box
                    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                    750 FD Mod
                    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
                      Are they loose or tight? They kind of look like they might be for a special, but not a t-kat.
                      loose here's his reply to me. I understand no returns for buyers remores but when you state it's one thing and it's another they should take it back, I even offered to cover retun shippingDear drpotter58,

It's unfortunate that youre having problems but this item cannot be returned, this was stated in the original posting. This is a T-Kat fork brace, the photos on his website are of new design as of 2010. The model I purchased from him is an earlier model designed specifically for the stock 1978 XS1100E back in 2004. As the seller it is not my responsiblity to monitor every buyers specific motorcycle set up. If you have an 1978 XS1100E then there would be no problem mounting the brace. If you have reservations when buying an item there is always the option to ask the seller a question so this situtation doesnt arise. Your best bet is to resell the item, this wont be diffifcult considering the item was undersold by nearly $60 of its purchase value. I understand your frustration but there is nothing for me to do. I aplogize for your confusion. Best of luck to you.
                      - ctch22israd
                      Last edited by dpotter58; 06-26-2012, 05:29 PM.

1980 LG
                      1981 LH

Comment

if that Tkat will indeed fit a special,and you don't need it,I am interested. Just saying.
                        FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
                        1999 Vulcan classic-sold
                        1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda 69 View Post
                          if that Tkat will indeed fit a special,and you don't need it,I am interested. Just saying.
                          That's a standard, the special fender is taller and is one piece.
                          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Does not fit the standard Greg, Ever seen one without the lip for the dust seal?

1980 LG
                            1981 LH

Comment

yea,I know Greg,but he said the tkat didn't fit his.
                              FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
                              1999 Vulcan classic-sold
                              1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Comment

Working...
                              X