Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
    Hey James,

Thanks for chiming in...my CRS got to me and I didn't try to open another browser tab to find your name! Again, I get to talk and prove that I'm just a shadetree survivalist....I haven't actually had my left rear bearing out of my wheel. I've had the rear wheel off many times for tire changes and work on the swingarm and such...but I didn't know that the bearing wasn't SEALED...that you could get to it to remove old grease and repack it??? I could have sworn that the NEW one you sent me was sealed!

T.C.
    FWIW T.C, the sealed bearing CAN be re-packed. Just pop them in one of the two piece cone type wheel bearing packers from NAPA and pump away. Grease goes by the seal and no damage to outer seals of bearings. Haven't found a sealed wheel type bearing that this doesn't work on.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
      FWIW T.C, the sealed bearing CAN be re-packed. Just pop them in one of the two piece cone type wheel bearing packers from NAPA and pump away. Grease goes by the seal and no damage to outer seals of bearings. Haven't found a sealed wheel type bearing that this doesn't work on.
      Why bother when a couple bucks buys a new bearing.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
        Why bother when a couple bucks buys a new bearing.
        Really Nate. . . we're talking about the usually Unobtainium large left rear bearing that will probably again be Unobtainium once James sells his "cluster" of 22! Repacking them to possibly rejuvenate them to possibly help them from wearing out may help keep many XS's on the road instead of being sidelined for lack of a replacement bearing.

Thanks Motoman!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by Zeke on Wheels View Post
          I seen somwhere here where someone modified the tailight with LEDs. Wondering if anyone has just simply tried the LED replacement bulbs like these?

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...8-T.htm#photos
          Hey Zeke,

That's some newer design and technology compared to some of the regular styled LED bulbs that have been tried before! However, if you'll look around their site... IIRC truck or boating or such, you'll find some with a bulb socket attached to wires that connect to a large ARRAY Printed Circuit Board with a nice wide spread of LEDS, 36 or so count that can be simply hot gun glued to the inside of the brake light reflector, so can be reversed and retain the OEM sockets, and are probably much cheaper than those fancy high powered tower design bulbs!?

T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Really Nate. . . we're talking about the usually Unobtainium large left rear bearing that will probably again be Unobtainium once James sells his "cluster" of 22! Repacking them to possibly rejuvenate them to possibly help them from wearing out may help keep many XS's on the road instead of being sidelined for lack of a replacement bearing.

Thanks Motoman!
            T.C.
            Welcome T.C......was just something I had done many years ago out of curiosity and it worked...........and Nate, was referring to sealed bearings in general. Just was offering an option to those who by their location may not be able to just run out and by a replacement bearing when the one they have rotates smoothly and could use a re-packing. Most sealed bearings have a minimal grease in them anyways, and I commonly choose to do this with a new one anyways if rotation is too easy. Having said that, remember, being the net, you actually have no real knowledge of my mechanical backround, nor do I of others......tread lightly.......
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Thanks Motoman!
              T.C.
              If you read the quote from motoman, he never once mentions the left rear bearing, only the other regular sealed (left rear is not sealed as you just found out) bearing in the wheels.

Last year when I replaced all the wheel bearings I ordered the other 3 bearings for about $9 shipped to my door.
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights
              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines
              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Welcome ladd!

I didn't have time to read all the post, but I like to welcome new members. You will find lots of useful info and comeradery here.
                Special Ed
                Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
                I've been riding since 1959.

Comment

Hey Zeke,

That's some newer design and technology compared to some of the regular styled LED bulbs that have been tried before! However, if you'll look around their site... IIRC truck or boating or such, you'll find some with a bulb socket attached to wires that connect to a large ARRAY Printed Circuit Board with a nice wide spread of LEDS, 36 or so count that can be simply hot gun glued to the inside of the brake light reflector, so can be reversed and retain the OEM sockets, and are probably much cheaper than those fancy high powered tower design bulbs!?

T.C.
                  Thanks T.C. I will have to check them out.
                  80 XS1100 SG "Iron Horse"

Comment

Working...
                  X