Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to forum

Hi all,

Just got a new scooter. My old scooter was an '83 Honda 650 Nighthawk.
    I had just put 2 brand new dunlops on her when 4th gear decided to go out.
    Didn't even get 100 miles on the new tires!

Fast forward: Found out last week that the Mrs had one of our friends looking for bikes for me. Once the cat was out of the bag, she told me to find a bike I would be happy with. Came across a Craig'slist ad for an '80 XS1100 Special that needed tires. Guess what? Same size tires!
    Going to have them swapped onto the new scooter today!
    I am also going to have him service that rear wheel bearing that I was reading about on this forum.
    Anyhoo, the bike has 20k on it and doesn't even look like a 30 year old bike.

I didn't know anything about the bike other than it was in real nice shape and I really liked it. Then a buddy stopped over and looked at it who is a bike guru and he told me that this was "The Bike" back in the day. I love it!

The first thing I noticed when taking it for a test drive before buying it was that it is NOT my 650 Nighthawk!

This bike came with both the factory seat and a custom seat, and it has Honda handlebars on it but I also have the original bars too. The guy I bought it from had put the original seat back on it because he didn't like the look of the custom seat. However, after riding it home that day, I decided to put the custom seat back on, and oh what a difference! Way more comfortable for me.

O.K. I'm done raving about the new scooter now! Thanks for having a great forum available to what appears to be an XS community.

Here is my new (32 year old) scooter:

http://sitebuilder.myregisteredsite....=Mynewbike.jpg
    Last edited by crazy steve; 06-25-2012, 12:29 PM.
    80 XS1100 SG "Iron Horse"

Welcome to the site!

Now you just have to name the SG to fit in with all of the other XSives!

Make sure to search tech tips and forums for mods, repairs, general knowledge.

There are some great upgrades on the site to help when something breaks OR when you want more performance from any part of the machine.

Many members make and sell parts/upgrades/mods at very reasonable rates to help us all keep our dino's on the road.
    1990 Ninja ZX-10. It's the Silver Surfer. HI-YA!!

2006 Yamaha XT-225. Yep, I take it on the interstate. It's Blue Butt.

1982 Toyota 4x4. 22R Cammed, 38/38, 2" pipe, 20R head with OS valves, performance grind and other fun stuff. It's Blue RASPberry.

1969 Ford F-250 Camper Special resto project. 390 RV cam, Demon carb, Sanderson headers, 2 and a quarter pipes with Magnaflow mufflers. It's Blue Jay.

Comment

Welcome!

Hope you enjoy the new bike.
      Nate

78 XS11 "Matilda" 2H7 000364

2001 Raptor ACCT, T.C. Fuse Box, TC Bros Forward Controls
      Kuryakyn Iso Grips/Throttleboss/Bar End Mirror, Custom Covered Seat
      Shinko 712s, HID Headlight, RC Performance Exhaust
      Bikemaster Daytona Handlebars, Galfer SS Brake Lines
      Barnett HD Clutch Springs, T.C. Spin On Filter Adapter
      K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
      81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

Congratulations, you've got a great old bike. We need pics around here. You need to open a photobucket.com ablum and then copy your pics into it in order to post them here.
        79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
        80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
        80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
        79 DT 100

Comment

pic's,pic's- congrats on your new find.They are a great bike.
          FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
          1999 Vulcan classic-sold
          1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Comment

Originally posted by Zeke on Wheels View Post
            Hi all,

Just got a new scooter. My old scooter was an '83 Honda 650 Nighthawk.
            I had just put 2 brand new dunlops on her when 4th gear decided to go out.
            Didn't even get 100 miles on the new tires!

Came across a Craig'slist ad for an '80 XS1100 Special that needed tires. Guess what? Same size tires!
            Going to have them swapped onto the new scooter today!
            I am also going to have him service that rear wheel bearing that I was reading about on this forum.
            Anyhoo, the bike has 20k on it and doesn't even look like a 30 year old bike.
            Hey there Zeke,

Congrats on the new acquisition and finding our site!

Now, with only 20K miles, the left rear tire bearing is probably just fine, it's NOT serviceable persae', just gets replaced, but they are no longer made/sold by Yamaha. A fellow in the UK has been able to get small groups of them custom made and selling them here essentially for cost. But after inspecting it, and performing the service on the FINAL DRIVE unit, MIDDLE Drive unit, replacing the gear oil, pulling the final drive off and lubing the driveshaft splines, it will probably be fine for many 10k miles!

Although the 650 might have taken the same sized tires, they may not be rated strong enough for the weight of the 1100. You may get a couple of years out of them, but they will probably wear out fairly quickly! Check the website for the brand you got, and compare the weight ratings of the tire against other models recommended for and XS11. Okay, just re-read and saw that you had Dunlops....if they were the 404's, they aren't strong enough to last vs. the Elite 3's.

The OEM special buckhorn handlebars are known to be a pain in the wrists, hence why lots of folks put on Honda or other brand/style bars with a better angle.

T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
              Now, with only 20K miles, the left rear tire bearing is probably just fine, it's NOT serviceable per se, just gets replaced, but they are no longer made/sold by Yamaha. A fellow in the UK has been able to get small groups of them custom made and selling them here essentially for cost.
              T.C.
              That's me! You'll be pleased you found this site. I find it amazingly useful for info and it's like social networking too!

Re that bearing. TC is right, you can't 'service' it. Basically, you just have to make sure that it is larded up with plenty of good quality grease. Had it been a tapered roller bearing, it could have been adjusted as it wore but it's just a plain ole caged needle roller type. Clean the one that's in the wheel and get all the old grease out. If you find any rollers missing, or obviously damaged or if the central tube of the bearing is loose in an up/down way, then replace it. If not, just put grease on it and that's that.

I just got hold of 23 more of these bearings, so if you find you need one, or want a spare, just PM me.

Have a good read of the threads, especially the pickup wires one (the first I ever looked at) and TC's fusebox. Everything you'll ever need to know is right here!
              XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                Hey there Zeke,

Congrats on the new acquisition and finding our site!

Now, with only 20K miles, the left rear tire bearing is probably just fine, it's NOT serviceable persae', just gets replaced, but they are no longer made/sold by Yamaha. A fellow in the UK has been able to get small groups of them custom made and selling them here essentially for cost. But after inspecting it, and performing the service on the FINAL DRIVE unit, MIDDLE Drive unit, replacing the gear oil, pulling the final drive off and lubing the driveshaft splines, it will probably be fine for many 10k miles!

Although the 650 might have taken the same sized tires, they may not be rated strong enough for the weight of the 1100. You may get a couple of years out of them, but they will probably wear out fairly quickly! Check the website for the brand you got, and compare the weight ratings of the tire against other models recommended for and XS11. Okay, just re-read and saw that you had Dunlops....if they were the 404's, they aren't strong enough to last vs. the Elite 3's.

The OEM special buckhorn handlebars are known to be a pain in the wrists, hence why lots of folks put on Honda or other brand/style bars with a better angle.

T.C.
                I just went to the Dunlop site and for the '83 Nighthawk they recommend the GT501, and for the XS1100 they recommend either the GT501 or the Elite 3's.

The only differences I noticed were: Honda front rim size=2.15x19 XS front rim size=1.85x19 AND for the Honda they said 40 psi for the rear tire XS they said 32 psi for the rear tire.

Any thoughts on that?

I will have to look when I get home, but I am pretty sure that the tires I have are the GT501s.

Anyhoo, the phone rang about 5:30 last night and the voice at the other end said; "I know I told you that you wouldn't see your bike until the end of the week, but I was doing some things around the shop and it is ready for you to pick up."

It was a good ride home with the Dunlops!

Comment

Originally posted by xs11lover View Post
                  Congratulations, you've got a great old bike. We need pics around here. You need to open a photobucket.com ablum and then copy your pics into it in order to post them here.
                  Here she is:

Comment

color coordinated

I have never seen a seat like that!

Very chic

Welcome.

John
                    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Hey James,

Thanks for chiming in...my CRS got to me and I didn't try to open another browser tab to find your name! Again, I get to talk and prove that I'm just a shadetree survivalist....I haven't actually had my left rear bearing out of my wheel. I've had the rear wheel off many times for tire changes and work on the swingarm and such...but I didn't know that the bearing wasn't SEALED...that you could get to it to remove old grease and repack it??? I could have sworn that the NEW one you sent me was sealed!

Zeke, there's been recent discussions regarding tire pressures, most recommend using the values printed on the tires...not necessarily the max values, not the OLD owner's manual values, but adjusting according to your preferences...ride comfort and such. Many run at or close to the 40 psi for the rear. If too low, will heat up too much when riding, and can cause excessive premature wear.

You'll want to document your miles, and keep track of how long the 501's last, the rears usually last half as long as the fronts. Another recent discussion on Elite 3's came to a conclusion that Dunlop may have softened their formula, because a long distance rider has gotten quiet a bit less life/mileage out of a recent set of E3's vs. previous E3's. Others have suggested other brands because they are now giving similar tire life as the much more expensive Dunlops, with similar performance, wet/dry grip and overall handling.

Now you've got to give your bike a NAME. You haven't had much trouble with it YET...so I guess "grapes of wrath" won't apply!

T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
                        I have never seen a seat like that!

Very chic

Welcome.

John
                        The guy I bought it from had put the original factory seat on it because he didn't like the looks of the custom seat. However, I found the custom seat way more comfortable. The sticker was still on the bottom of it where it was custom ordered in Brighton Mich when the bike was brand new. Now I need to see if I can get the same color leather to cover the backrest with.

The guy at the cycle shop who mounted the tires said it was a really nice bike and you could tell it was well cared for. I am certainly loving it!

I seen somwhere here where someone modified the tailight with LEDs. Wondering if anyone has just simply tried the LED replacement bulbs like these?

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...8-T.htm#photos

Comment

LEDs

I tried some of Supbright's LED bulbs....changed out flasher to electronic type.

Had too many issues trying to get and keep a good enough ground. They would periodically stop working. Didnt seem as bright during daylight. Wife noticed difference while following. At night seemed equal. Hard to tell really.

In the end I switched back. Just not enough reason to switch.

And they were way expensive.

John
                          John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                          '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                          Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Zeke, beautiful XS!

While I'm on the side of thinking that seat is an eye-sore it looks very, very comfortable. I do just fine on my stock seat but I'm only 27 so if Alberta is still around in a couple-a-few I might be sitting on a different seat myself!

Otherwise that bike is beautiful and the color is fabulous. Good find/purchase and make good use of the resources on the site to keep it running as good as it looks!
                            1990 Ninja ZX-10. It's the Silver Surfer. HI-YA!!

2006 Yamaha XT-225. Yep, I take it on the interstate. It's Blue Butt.

1982 Toyota 4x4. 22R Cammed, 38/38, 2" pipe, 20R head with OS valves, performance grind and other fun stuff. It's Blue RASPberry.

1969 Ford F-250 Camper Special resto project. 390 RV cam, Demon carb, Sanderson headers, 2 and a quarter pipes with Magnaflow mufflers. It's Blue Jay.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeke on Wheels View Post
                              The guy I bought it from had put the original factory seat on it because he didn't like the looks of the custom seat. However, I found the custom seat way more comfortable. The sticker was still on the bottom of it where it was custom ordered in Brighton Mich when the bike was brand new. Now I need to see if I can get the same color leather to cover the backrest with.

The guy at the cycle shop who mounted the tires said it was a really nice bike and you could tell it was well cared for. I am certainly loving it!

I seen somwhere here where someone modified the tailight with LEDs. Wondering if anyone has just simply tried the LED replacement bulbs like these?

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...8-T.htm#photos
                              I'll say if you only have the stock light, they replacement bulbs won't be enough light in daylight. They were enough with my tailtrunk with the 4 extra lights, but when those started to flake out because of age I found replacement light units and replaced the 4 in the tailtrunk with 2 LED units that are a LOT brighter than the LED bulbs.

Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                              Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                              Vetter Windjammer IV
                              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                              OEM Luggage Rack
                              Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                              Spade Fuse Box
                              Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                              750 FD Mod
                              TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
                              X