No announcement yet.

Sooo..monkeybutt, WTF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alot of the Vietnam era vets from the USA (and where ever else they came from) dealt with very damp conditions. Having served with some of the folks who made it back, and taught soem techniques for living in the field by them, "jungle rot" as they called it was a big concern. A twenty mile march through sand with loaded ruck sack will enlighten you to how to properly protect the skin in delicate areas.

How this relates to a sore bum from miles of long distance riding I am not sure either though. Seams under your arse is no different than your wallet in your pocket, mine is always there. Longest ride so far for me in one day was 9 hours and I do not recall having any of these issues, and I was wearing jeans. No, I do not discuss my undergarments on the internet or with men.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

This has nothing to do with Vietnam, but....
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
        This has nothing to do with Vietnam, but....
        They sell that stuff at Walgreens and CVS, and probably just about any pharmacy.

Personally, I've never felt the need for it, but I do suppose that chafing in that area may be possible on long, hot rides. I think that the removal of underwear, especially when seated, may actually cause more issues, since the wicking action of the cotton tends to draw the moisture away from the sensitive areas so it can evaporate.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

Longest I've done in a sit is 800 miles. On a thin Harley seat. I'm not ashamed to admit my ass was a little raw.
          Mike C
          Lake Orion, Michigan
          '78 XS1100E

Here I am! Where are you?

Comment

I've experienced the "Monkey Butt" on many occasions, though I'm not sure exactly WHY they call it that. I've ridden almost 1200 miles in a day and not had it a big deal, and have been ready to cry sometimes after 400 miles. It does depend on the weather/humidity/TIME in the saddle, not really the miles necessarily.

I'm assuming the term comes from one's posterior being red and enflamed like a baboon in heat, though I've never actually taken a gander myself to look. I may have to have Greg's assistance next time so he can judge? The actual FEELING of Monkey Butt, to me, was described by a buddy of mine very well. It's like all the hairs are slowly being torn at a snails pace from some sensitive skin and feels much like "Sitting on a shark's open mouth while he chews."

I had it so bad once, that I could stand it no longer. I went to a Walmart to try to find SOMETHING to pad my poor hiney. I finally found what I thought would work... one of those cheap air mattresses for a swiming pool. It was the last one in the store on the discount rack since the swimming season was over. I folded the lime-green contraption up to fit my seat and blew about half a lungfull of air into it, then sat on it. I was grinning from ear to ear.. it was SUCH a relief... for about a mile. The d$&n thing had a hole in it. Just had to tough it out and ride home in pain.

For Christmas, my wife put some of that Monkey Butt powder in my stocking as a joke. I've yet to try powdering my hiney before a ride, but who knows. Maybe Greg would help me out with that also? I just have these visions of getting hot and sweaty with that powder on and having something resembling paper mache paste oozing out of the pores of my pants. It would go from "Soup is ready!" to "Who wants chowder?"

I think I'll try some padded bicycle shorts before I try that.
            Last edited by trbig; 04-03-2012, 01:54 PM.
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Maybe you can get Ivan to do it next time y'all have some "alone time" in another one of those no tell motels you two like to bunk up together in so much.
              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I've not tried it, but a riding buddy swears by Gold Bond.
                Mike C
                Lake Orion, Michigan
                '78 XS1100E

Here I am! Where are you?

Comment

Originally posted by hamjam View Post
                  what is the reason for this post??
                  Crotch rot. Due to the environment. That is when many started going "commando"

Air em out buddy, let them swing free. No soup for you!
                  Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

Saddle sore and monkey butt I fear are 2 different things. I've been saddle sore a few time from riding the XS a distance. My old ducati use to give me monkey butt after about 80 miles. The saddle on a super bike was not designed for someone my size. Once your on it you can't move. My buddies use to get a kick out of watching me stand up on the bike every chance I got on our way to or from the coast. The R1 is a little better as it has a fairly flat saddle and I can move about on it a little better.

I've never tried powder... Like Tod said I'd be afraid of the out come... I just invision having to chisel off what now has taken the form of concrete once it has all dried. This last year I finally bought full length base layers. And I have to say it does help. The main thing it does is keep me dry and my leathers dry. I don't know how many of you have ever riden if full sport bike leathers, but I can tell you they are like suction cups on your body once you've built up a sweat... Not much fun to get off.
                    Don
                    1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
                    1989 kawi ex500
                    1996 yzf-r6
                    1999 yzf-r1
                    2001 kawi zx-6r
                    2000 Ducati 748
                    2002 YZF-R1
                    2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Re: Monkey Butt

I have three full size sheep skins that I have not used since the early 80's.
                      I now use seat beads, like the ones cabbies use. They are available for bikes too.
                      I will roll them out of the way when it is cold out though, my bottom will get too cold.
                      LuckyEddie
                      1980 XS1100LG Midnight special
                      1982 XV750J Virago
                      1976 GL1000
                      1978 GL1000 Supercharged
                      1981 XV920RH (chain drive)

Comment

Originally posted by Elevener View Post
                        Crotch rot. Due to the environment. That is when many started going "commando"

Air em out buddy, let them swing free. No soup for you!
                        Thank you for the answer
                        Seamus Ó hUrmholtaigh
                        Niimi Moozhwaagan

NOTICE: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message. We do concede, however, that a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.

Member of "FOXS-11" (Former Owner of XS-11)
                        and SOXS
                        2008 Nomad "Deja Buick'

Comment

Originally posted by ddragon63 View Post
                          I don't know how many of you have ever riden if full sport bike leathers, but I can tell you they are like suction cups on your body once you've built up a sweat... Not much fun to get off.
                          I can only imagine! I have a set of armored mesh pants that I use for longer rides. Its amazing how good they are at temperature control! I can wear gym shorts under them at 30ºF or jeans at 90ºF, and I'm still comfortable.

As for "going commando", I found this interesting article. It also seems that the idea of going sans skivvies is MUCH older than the Vietnam war - dating back to when kilts were worn in battle.
                          1980 XS850SG - Sold
                          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                          -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                            I can only imagine! I have a set of armored mesh pants that I use for longer rides. Its amazing how good they are at temperature control! I can wear gym shorts under them at 30ºF or jeans at 90ºF, and I'm still comfortable.

As for "going commando", I found this interesting article. It also seems that the idea of going sans skivvies is MUCH older than the Vietnam war - dating back to when kilts were worn in battle.
                            The only time the leather pants and GP boots come out is when I know I'm going to be dragging knees on the R1. I've hit the deck 2 times on sport bikes, once with leathers and once without. I will take 3 more of the trips to the ground with leather before I ever want to do another without. Road rash from bum to neck is not something I'd wish on my worse enemy.

As for going commando... I'd assume just back an extra pair of Fun-der- ware and change em out @ a rest stop if they become sweat soaked. May toss the old ones in the trash if have too... something about the seam of my jeans rubbing on the boy's for a few hundred miles with no filter between them that doesn't sound too appealing to me
                            Don
                            1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
                            1989 kawi ex500
                            1996 yzf-r6
                            1999 yzf-r1
                            2001 kawi zx-6r
                            2000 Ducati 748
                            2002 YZF-R1
                            2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Supracor

I know some find relief with sheepskins, beaded pads, air filled pads, ATV pads, etc. but the extra height, for me, won't work to well.

I found this site a faw years ago: http://greatdaytoride.com/Supracor.html

I plan on getting my '80G's seat done by them.
                              Also I will have them lower my seat an inch or so for a more stable reach.
                              1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                              1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                              1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                              1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                              1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Originally posted by Schming View Post
                                I found this site a faw years ago: http://greatdaytoride.com/Supracor.html
                                Spencer does great work at a great price.
                                80 SG
                                81 SH in parts
                                99 ST1100
                                91 ST1100

Comment

Working...
                                X