Intro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by motoman View Post
    Oil cooler would be an add-on as that's an 80G although someone put the 81 Venturer fairing on it.
    That's just as likely the Yamaha branded Vetter fairing that was available in 1980 as an option. Just like the 81 fairing, but dealer installed rather than factory installed. They even came in factory matched paint.
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Cy, would the dealer have welded the bracket to the frame, or you think that may have been done at the factory? The inside of the fairing has a Yamaha tag with a serial number.
      1979 XS110F, Stock
      1980 XS1100G, Mostly Stock, gifted to my son.
      2000 YZ 250, Sold
      2002 YZ125, Sold
      2009 Royal Star Venture
      '94 Pontiac Trans Am, 25th Anniversary, For Sale

Ernie

Comment

Originally posted by ESJr1642 View Post
        Cy, would the dealer have welded the bracket to the frame, or you think that may have been done at the factory? The inside of the fairing has a Yamaha tag with a serial number.
        The fairing would have a Yamaha tag and a serial number. I've never even HEARD of the bracket/mount being welded on, as quite a few maint procedures require the mount to be removed to do them. Are you sure it's welded on? Neither the factory OR the dealer would have welded the mount to the frame, that would both weaken the frame some and make maintaining the bike very difficult if not impossible down the road.

You can't get the engine in and out with the mount on there, and I don't think you can even get the valve cover off with the mount on there. You could get the mount off if welded on ONE TIME, but you would never be able to put it back on, it would be a one way process, with the bike being relegated to naked running from that time forth. The mount is normally fastened on with two bolts at the top front in between the frame down tubes and then has normally a couple of radiator hose clamps at the bottom of each side holding it to each down tube. Those can be hard to see if you don't know what your looking for sometimes and it can almost look like it's part of the frame if you look quickly. Not saying it's NOT welded on, but I've never even HEARD of one put on that way.
        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
        Vetter Windjammer IV
        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
        OEM Luggage Rack
        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
        Spade Fuse Box
        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
        750 FD Mod
        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
          That's just as likely the Yamaha branded Vetter fairing that was available in 1980 as an option. Just like the 81 fairing, but dealer installed rather than factory installed. They even came in factory matched paint.
          Understand that Cy. Just maybe the fairing being shaded in pic make it look darker that it is.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Weather permitting I will pull it outside and take a few pic this weekend. I will let you know what I find out.
            1979 XS110F, Stock
            1980 XS1100G, Mostly Stock, gifted to my son.
            2000 YZ 250, Sold
            2002 YZ125, Sold
            2009 Royal Star Venture
            '94 Pontiac Trans Am, 25th Anniversary, For Sale

Ernie

Comment

Hey Cy, I have an 80 with slotted rotors,could be a late 80's ? mines an SG
              FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
              1999 Vulcan classic-sold
              1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Comment

Cuda the 80 SGs (specials) have slotted rotors. The 80G (standards) rotors were plain.
                I've got one each.
                Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
                The Green Monster
                K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
                Got him in '04.
                bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
                Scarlet
                K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
                Got her in '11
                Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
                Hugo
                Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
                Cold weather ride

Comment

Working...
                X