Covered / unheated storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
    My mother warned my wife before we got married. When I still lived at home, I had a 1970 Ford F250 that had a slightly warped exhaust manifold. So, my mother came in one day to find me sitting in the living room with newspaper across the floor, a nice heavy block of wood with sand paper on it and me sanding the manifold smooth. I was watchin the telly while I worked for some form of entertainment. SWMBO has kept a vigilant eye for such things our entire marriage.
    I was the same way when i was younger and renting houses with my brothers and friends. the bikes came in the house for the winter. often times to be modified over the cold months.
    Rob
    KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
    1978 XS500E
    1979 XS1100F Restored
    1980 XS1100 SG
    1981 Suzuki GS1100
    1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
    1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

More questions

OK, I reduced the height of the seasonal shelter so it would fit under the house's eve and right up to the garage door. I have 3 bikes in there now and they were covered with cotton sheets. This evening when I went out to seal the end of the shelter to the house I noticed that the sheets were DAMP. I removed them and will guess that in an outdoor storage situation their better off just left as is. So, should I run a small household fan in there all winter to keep air moving around? Set it to sweep across the air space?
      Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
      1978 XS500E
      1979 XS1100F Restored
      1980 XS1100 SG
      1981 Suzuki GS1100
      1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Light bulb

I would add a light bulb ...it might heat the enclosed space enough to keep condensation down...

John
        John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
        '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
        Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
          I would add a light bulb ...it might heat the enclosed space enough to keep condensation down...

John
          I don't think a 100 watt bulb would do it in a 10 X 17 X 8 air space. I am wondering if I should have covered the pavement with a tarp as well. That will be my next step.
          Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
          1978 XS500E
          1979 XS1100F Restored
          1980 XS1100 SG
          1981 Suzuki GS1100
          1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Originally posted by 79XS11F View Post
            I don't think a 100 watt bulb would do it in a 10 X 17 X 8 air space. I am wondering if I should have covered the pavement with a tarp as well. That will be my next step.
            Rob
            Rather than a tarp, maybe some plywood or OSB sheets laid on some furring strips...
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
              Rather than a tarp, maybe some plywood or OSB sheets laid on some furring strips...
              If I were to lay down any type of wood product on the ground it would still need to be protected from ground moisture so a tarp would still be needed to protect that wood from moisture. That being the case, once a tarp is down the issue would be addressed.
              Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
              1978 XS500E
              1979 XS1100F Restored
              1980 XS1100 SG
              1981 Suzuki GS1100
              1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

I have a 10 x 20 x 8 canopy type garage same as you have pictured or pretty much so. I laid 3/8's OSB on the floor and rolled the bikes in. The OSB was only there because I did not want the bikes falling over from the stands sinking into the gravel. I have used it a couple of years now with no heat, no bulbs , no attention etc. I have had no problem with rust or anything else using simple plain cold covered storage. Of course here in sunny Alberta we get few days where it gets warm enough to have higher humidity. Frozen air does not hurt bikes...lol.
                2-79 XS1100 SF
                2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
                  I have a 10 x 20 x 8 canopy type garage same as you have pictured or pretty much so. I laid 3/8's OSB on the floor and rolled the bikes in. The OSB was only there because I did not want the bikes falling over from the stands sinking into the gravel. I have used it a couple of years now with no heat, no bulbs , no attention etc. I have had no problem with rust or anything else using simple plain cold covered storage. Of course here in sunny Alberta we get few days where it gets warm enough to have higher humidity. Frozen air does not hurt bikes...lol.
                  So far this year temperatures have not been nearly as cold as would be expected for this time of the year. It just concerns me when I find the cotton sheets damp. Given that the bikes that are out there are bikes that have not been started yet I may just spray them with WD40 and call it a day
                  Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
                  1978 XS500E
                  1979 XS1100F Restored
                  1980 XS1100 SG
                  1981 Suzuki GS1100
                  1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

As long as the canopy/tent is not sealed up well it should not get all that moist. Mine has snow blowing in under the edges a bit but nothing seems to get damp. It has been unusually mild here as well so I may be proved wrong. Not like that would be the first time for that either.
                    2-79 XS1100 SF
                    2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                    80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                    Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

I was out there Christmas evening after dinner because the garage was the smoking area for guests and I saw that the bikes in the shelter are covered with FROST. That being the case i do not think I will be putting my finished bikes out there. There was also frozen moisture droplets on the ceiling.
                      Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
                      1978 XS500E
                      1979 XS1100F Restored
                      1980 XS1100 SG
                      1981 Suzuki GS1100
                      1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Originally posted by 79XS11F View Post
                        So, should I run a small household fan in there all winter to keep air moving around? Set it to sweep across the air space?
                        Rob
                        It will definately help, as the secret to condensation control is air movement, however cross-flow air is what you want. Set up an air inlet at one end, an air exhaust at the other and set your fan to blow out the exhaust. That will drag air in the intake and replenish it all the time. You'll have a difficult time controlling it at sub zero (< 32 ) temperatures due to humidity levels but frost on it's own isnt going to hurt anything, as long as things dry out quickly when the temp warms up, and moving air will speed that up dramatically. Quickest way to heat air is to dry it out, and it takes much less energy to heat dry air than it does to heat damp air.
                        1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                        2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Originally posted by b.walker5 View Post
                          It will definately help, as the secret to condensation control is air movement, however cross-flow air is what you want. Set up an air inlet at one end, an air exhaust at the other and set your fan to blow out the exhaust. That will drag air in the intake and replenish it all the time. You'll have a difficult time controlling it at sub zero (< 32 ) temperatures due to humidity levels but frost on it's own isnt going to hurt anything, as long as things dry out quickly when the temp warms up, and moving air will speed that up dramatically. Quickest way to heat air is to dry it out, and it takes much less energy to heat dry air than it does to heat damp air.
                          In spite of what I have to call higher then normal temperatures there is so much water on the inside of the ceiling that when push it upward to remove snow it is like it is raining in there. I now am beginning to think that the tarp material is not waterproof.
                          Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
                          1978 XS500E
                          1979 XS1100F Restored
                          1980 XS1100 SG
                          1981 Suzuki GS1100
                          1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Boeshild

This is the best I have found, invented for Boeing jet parts. Spray it on and wash it off when ready to use the bike / part

http://boeshield.com/

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                            Hi Rob,
                            looks like we're back to fizzing the bikes with the rust inhibitor of your choice, putting them on a tarp to reduce rising damp, covering them with el-cheapo bike covers spaced up with cardboard & with a 60Watt light bulb inside.
                            BTW, no basement is fully furnished until it has a bike as it's centrepiece.
                            1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
                            1980 XS1100 Special
                            1990 V Max
                            1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                            1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
                            1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
                            1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
                            1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Working...
                            X