Covered / unheated storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Covered / unheated storage

Looking for opinions for covered but unheated storage. With 8 bikes on my hands I will need to store at least 4 of them outside in a covered but unheated space. This will be necessary if I am to have room to work on 1 of them this winter.
    I plan to tarp them in a manner that the tarps do not contact the bikes. I would like opinions on how to best protect them from moisture damage to the chrome and other metal parts in this unheated space. This storage will be for bikes that I have not started to refurb or restore but I would still like to keep them as safe as possible.
    Rob
    KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
    1978 XS500E
    1979 XS1100F Restored
    1980 XS1100 SG
    1981 Suzuki GS1100
    1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
    1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Originally posted by 79XS11F View Post
    Looking for opinions for covered but unheated storage. - - - I will need to store at least 4 of them outside in a covered but unheated space. - - - I plan to tarp them in a manner that the tarps do not contact the bikes. I would like opinions on how to best protect them from moisture damage to the chrome and other metal parts in this unheated space. - - -
    Hi Rob,
    best way is a tin shed from Home Depot.
    If the planning Nazis won't allow that, build a temporary structure out of 2x2s & 6 mil vapour barrier; by the time the planners have gotten round to issuing the compulsory removal notice it'll be next spring anyway.
    Easiest way is 4 el-cheapo bike covers. Block them up from the chrome with little cardboard V-shapes.
    Whatever way you choose, park em atop of a groundsheet to keep the rising damp from getting at them.
    Last edited by fredintoon; 11-27-2011, 11:10 AM.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

STAY AWAY FROM A METAL SHED!!! Those things 'sweat' like crazy; you'd be almost as well off to leave them out in the open! If you fully insulate those it will help, but that runs the cost up a bunch as you need special insulation. Fred's right, you need some sort of 'floor' under them to keep the ground moisture from leaching in.

Best bet would be a wood shed with a floor; more money, but that will keep moisture to a minimum. Insulating it will help quite a bit. And don't cover them unless you're planning on putting some heat under there. And speaking of heat, if you do decide to cover them, put a 150 watt incandecent under each one. That will be enough heat to keep condensation out. This is the trick we used when storing electrical equipment in damp conditions; tightly cover it in plastic, then put a light inside. Vary the lamp size to the enclosed space; up to 'appliance' size (washer, etc) 75 watts, refrigerator-sized 150 watts, etc, etc.

I used to have a 8' square uninsulated wood shed, and hanging a 300 watt heat lamp in it during the winter months kept everything dry, and that's in the rainy NW.
      Last edited by crazy steve; 11-27-2011, 11:41 AM.
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

What about a cheap tent from walmart etc?
        This one is under 50 bucks...
        http://www.walmart.com/ip/GigaTent-L...-Tent/19207784
        Pat K

80 XS11 "Special" Standard
        (80G chassis & engine w/ 79 SG lights and cluster)

79 XS650 (engine currently squeals like a stuck pig.)

72 Plymouth Satellite (met an unpaved manhole collar, which it managed to tear out of the street, currently has some "issues")

04 Current Designs Solstice GT XL Kayak (I like it because it doesn't have carbs, or any other moving parts)

Comment

My plan was to store them in a 12 X 12 gazebo type structure on my back deck. My concerns with that is that the deck is exposed to full south sun during the day so there would be daily temperature swings that might promote condensation on the surfaces of them. But it might not really be an issue given that I do not think that the temps would go above freezing during the winter even with the structure being in full sun.
          The deck is a full 4 feet off the ground so there is air movement under the deck. So they would not be truly sealed in.
          What ever I decide to do with them should I spray the metal and chrome on them with WD 40?
          Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
          1978 XS500E
          1979 XS1100F Restored
          1980 XS1100 SG
          1981 Suzuki GS1100
          1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

My plan was to store them in a 12 X 12 gazebo type structure on my back deck...
            That would actually be a pretty good spot. Maybe 'temporarily' close or semi-close it in with some plywood and screws to keep the worst of the weather off. Or maybe even partially wrap it with some Tyvek. A lot of it will depend on your local humidity; if it's low, you may not have any issues.

Those metal sheds are only useful if you live somewhere dry....
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

The structure is 3 inch upright tubing bolted to the deck with steel upper frame and roof supports. The fabric is off it and in storage so I was going to tarp it and just keep the roof clear of snow like you have to do with those seasonal poly garages. I could easily store 4 bikes in there and keep my finished bikes in the heated garage while having room in the garage to work on 1 of the others over the winter. It's likely the best option I have.
              Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
              1978 XS500E
              1979 XS1100F Restored
              1980 XS1100 SG
              1981 Suzuki GS1100
              1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

My plan was to store them in a 12 X 12 gazebo type structure on my back deck. - - -
                What ever I decide to do with them should I spray the metal and chrome on them with WD 40? - - -
                Hi Rob,
                now you've admitted there's a gazebo to store the bikes in; no, you don't need no steenkin' shed.
                WD40 will kinda work but google "rust inhibitor" to find a whole bunch of products specially formulated to stop things rusting that'll work better.
                And Steve, yeah, although Saskatchewan winters are too cold and too dry for my tin shed to sweat Rob is in Ottawa where the climate is different and all those politicians and civil servants sounding off will add to the humidity besides.
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                  Hi Rob,
                  now you've admitted there's a gazebo to store the bikes in; no, you don't need no steenkin' shed.
                  WD40 will kinda work but google "rust inhibitor" to find a whole bunch of products specially formulated to stop things rusting that'll work better.
                  And Steve, yeah, although Saskatchewan winters are too cold and too dry for my tin shed to sweat Rob is in Ottawa where the climate is different and all those politicians and civil servants sounding off will add to the humidity besides.
                  Well, I don`t have a gazebo, I have the frame. Poly tarps will be far less breathable then the normal covering material except for the roof and it will be a job and a half to get the bikes onto the deck so I am looking for options. I could also just build a frame out of 2 x 4 and tarp that to keep rain and snow off them. I guess the real issue is not keeping rain and snow off them, it`s limiting rust because Ottawa is a damp area.
                  Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
                  1978 XS500E
                  1979 XS1100F Restored
                  1980 XS1100 SG
                  1981 Suzuki GS1100
                  1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Metal building

I have a metal building that I store all of my bikes but it is insulated and climate controlled so I don't worry about moisture. I am planning on laying plywood flooring for the bikes to sit on.
                    One thing you might want to think about is the batteries.. I have battery tenders on all of my bikes and if you store outside, cold weather is a battery killer. My $.02
                    78 XS1100E Standard
                    Coca Cola Red
                    Hooker Headers

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00580.jpg

1979 XS1100 Special
                    http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00612.jpg

1980 XS Standard
                    http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC01137.jpg

2006 Roadstar Warrior
                    http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...um/warrior.jpg

Comment

Am I missing something? You guys are talking about making frames and stringing tarps together, sounds a lot like a really complicated way to build a tent. Find a family sized one on clearance, and you have storage that's easy to assemble, wind and water proof, and easily folds up and stores over the summer. Also, it isn't a complete eyesore which should keep the wife happy.
                      Pat K

80 XS11 "Special" Standard
                      (80G chassis & engine w/ 79 SG lights and cluster)

79 XS650 (engine currently squeals like a stuck pig.)

72 Plymouth Satellite (met an unpaved manhole collar, which it managed to tear out of the street, currently has some "issues")

04 Current Designs Solstice GT XL Kayak (I like it because it doesn't have carbs, or any other moving parts)

Comment

Originally posted by patk12345 View Post
                        Am I missing something? You guys are talking about making frames and stringing tarps together, sounds a lot like a really complicated way to build a tent. Find a family sized one on clearance, and you have storage that's easy to assemble, wind and water proof, and easily folds up and stores over the summer. Also, it isn't a complete eyesore which should keep the wife happy.
                        I already have a Gazbo with the summer fabric removed for winter storage but the frame for it is still standing. It gets left out all year round. So tarps can be used to cover the frame. Tarps are a lot cheaper then the gazbo cover which is not designed for winter use.
                        A tent would only be good untill we get our first snow storm and tarps are still a lot cheaper then a tent that would cover 4 bikes.

1978 XS1100E Modified
                        1978 XS500E
                        1979 XS1100F Restored
                        1980 XS1100 SG
                        1981 Suzuki GS1100
                        1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

storage

Geez Rob, when I was at your house last month, I could have swarn it had a basement.
                          mack
                          79 XS 1100 SF Special
                          HERMES
                          original owner
                          http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
                          SPICA
                          http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
                          IOTA
                          https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
                          https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
                          Frankford, Ont, Canada
                          613-398-6186

Comment

Originally posted by mack View Post
                            Geez Rob, when I was at your house last month, I could have swarn it had a basement.
                            Hey Mack, Yes I do have a basement but access is a "U" turn at the top and a "U" turn at the bottom. Both corners are on 4 x 4 landing so getting bikes into my basement would only happen if they were standing on end as they went down the stairs. The other issue is that the basement is fully finished.
                            Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
                            1978 XS500E
                            1979 XS1100F Restored
                            1980 XS1100 SG
                            1981 Suzuki GS1100
                            1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

- - - The other issue is that the basement is fully finished. - - -
                              Hi Rob,
                              looks like we're back to fizzing the bikes with the rust inhibitor of your choice, putting them on a tarp to reduce rising damp, covering them with el-cheapo bike covers spaced up with cardboard & with a 60Watt light bulb inside.
                              BTW, no basement is fully furnished until it has a bike as it's centrepiece.
                              Fred Hill, S'toon
                              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                              X