Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you ever made road-kill with your bike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you ever made road-kill with your bike?

Have you ever hit any kind of critter on the road while riding? I just ran over a small creature with my cage this last weekend and it got me thinking about what would happen on a bike. I know there is at least one crazy story about a squirrel out there!
    Hit a critter with no damage/injury to myself or bike
    46.72%
    Hit a critter and sustained minor damage/injury, but kept riding
    8.20%
    Hit a critter and laid the bike down because of it
    9.02%
    I've never hit a critter on 2 wheels
    36.07%
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

i hit a coyote bout 3 weeks ago...screwed up my radiator but never laid the bike down...luckily i was able to ship my radiator off to this place in utah and they fixed it for me for about 120 bux...much cheaper than the near 600 for the new one...
    Daily Driver - '04 Suzuki Marauder 1600
    Project Bike - '79 XS1100 Special

Hi my name is Nate and I'm am Addict...I quit riding every night before bed and can't help but start riding again the next morning...

Ride Till You Die!

"MESS WITH THE BEST DIE LIKE THE REST" -Semper Fidelis!

“Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.”

"When in doubt, Gas it!. If it doesnt fix the problem, at least it will end the suspense!"

Comment

Almost have a few times. Couple dogs have run out in front of me and almost got it, and a few cats. Had more than a few squirrels miss death by only inches or less (I refuse to attempt to try to avoid anything that I'm not 100% sure sure I can avoid unless it's big enough that I can't take it down, sorry, if it's me or them they are gonna be road kill). I also had a few close calls with forest rats (deer). With the full rig I figure I'd survive and the deer wouldn't most likely, but I doubt I'd enjoy the experience, so any time I'm in an area where they might be I keep my eye peeled.

I think I've gotten a bird or two, but didn't look back to see. As long as they don't get through the windshield I'm good.

And I've hit some REALLY BIG BEES!
      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
      Vetter Windjammer IV
      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
      OEM Luggage Rack
      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
      Spade Fuse Box
      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
      750 FD Mod
      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Did it happen recently?

Just wondered why the poll - if you hit something.

I didn't think about the bigger insects I've killed by whacking them with my face mask. Don't think that counts.

John
        John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
        '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
        Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Almost hit a freakin peacock once last summer.
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I've bounced a few birds off my chest, not fun. Never squashed anything under the wheels and don't think I want too. I would imagine anything cat sized and smaller would be not too big of a problem if your traveling in a straight line. It becomes a real concern when your in a turn.
            '79 XS11 F
            Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
            Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
            GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Friend of mine T Boned a big hare right beside me one day. Thing ran straight across in front of me and right under his front wheel. He got it midship in the soft part so it was just a couple of bumps at 80 mile an hour. Could have been nasty on a bend but it was on straight road so not a problem.

Have had plenty of winged critters commit suicide on my chest and helmet over the years but none on the road.

If you do hit something, make sure you clean it up 'coz, round here at least, no one else will either, not even the Road Markers....

1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
              2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

effin deer hence the bikes name
                "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                1981 LH

Comment

The coyote was already dead and sprawled out nicely perpendicular to my line of travel when I drove over it in a rainstorm one morning just east of Saskatoon. I was just about ready to swipe my glove across my visor to restore visibility when I saw it out of my lower peripheral vision and felt the bump. It was all over before I knew it was happening. No problem with stability or control. I had to call back to SWMBO on the Chatterbox to ask what the h&#$ it was!
                  Ken Talbot

Comment

I hit a German Shepard on my Kawasaki at about 50 mph one afternoon. It ran out in front of me and hit the engine/frame, mostly, but knocked my right leg back pretty hard and threw me off course so I wobbled a bit. The dog rolled off the road, then got up and ran off. We were both lucky!

Big dog, side pocket .... <crack!>
                    -- Scott
                    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                    1979 XS1100F: parts
                    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

I nailed a squirrel on my old cx-500 and also had to stop and honk at a sixteen point buck at 4 in the morning he just looked at me for about 30 seconds and slowly moved on. Thank god he didn't see me as a threat those corn fed Illinois bucks can be over 300 pounds and this was one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                        Have you ever hit any kind of critter on the road while riding? - - -
                        Hi 'Bug,
                        bought a guy's 3rd BMW one time, he'd written off the first two hitting deer with them.
                        Closest I came was many years ago back in the UK, got nailed in the head by a thrush.
                        Fred Hill, S'toon
                        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Nothing still alive. Previously hit critters on the highway, I was unable to swerve around them because of the cages around me. I’ve had a few deer threaten to jump out in front of me but I saw them first.
                          Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
                          80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
                          82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
                          82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
                          82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
                          72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
                          72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

Comment

Actual strike has only been a field mouse, so far. But I live directly across from a grain elevator, and in the fall and winter, when coming home at dusk, I have to watch every time for deer. They like to cross my land and go eat free spilled grain at the elevator, which has made for 5 close calls.
                            Richard
                            '79 XS1100SF "Phantom Stranger" full fairing w/radio and cd player, H-D Roadking trunk, everything else stock
                            '02 Honda VTX1800C

Comment

I've hit a few small animals, squirrels, rabbits, mice, birds. Never had any sort of problem, just another bump in the road.

My policy is that if its smaller than a German Shepard I'm better off running it over than trying to avoid it - sorry critters.
                              1979 xs1100 Special -
                              Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
                              Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
                              My Bike:
                              [link is broken]

Comment

Working...
                              X