Going to be saying goodbye to the old XS1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BossMaverick View Post

I'm very glad I found the Bandit. It's a very good modern replacement for the XS. If the Bandit had shaft drive I would say the Bandit is the modern XS.
    I realise he said this way back in April, but I disagree. In my book the (my) XJR is the modern replacement for the XS.

It's a shame you guys cant get them in the States, but it looks like the Bandit is a fairly close second. (cant believe I just said that about a Suzuki)
    1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
    2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Dead-on Brian...........its cousin and originally based on the XS11 design.........and has way more longgivity than the Suzy can offer. That's been pretty much the case over the decades anyways. Yamaha/Honda has seemed to have had a better finish inside and out and the track record to prove it over Suzy and Kaw. Now, since the latter two have pretty much emerged together a few years back playing catch-up(as they have always) have double teamed to be all around more competative, least in the street riding areana. Dirt bikes and moto-x..............STILL behind the top two manufacturers.
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Maverick, glad to hear you got yourself a new mount, sorry to hear your getting rid of the XS.

I don't know why some have such a difficult time with these bikes. I've found it to be THE most reliable and trouble free ride I've ever had. I've been riding mine now for 3 or so years and other than wiping out a main bearing in my first engine by over revving (my bad) and having to change engines, have found it most trouble free. Approximately 30,000 miles since the engine swap and I've done virtually nothing to it except regular maintanence.

Fluid changes, plugs, tires, brake pads and a headlight bulb. The biggest things I did were rebuild both master cylinders and replace clutch springs.

I think I'll keep mine for a while.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
          Dead-on Brian...........its cousin and originally based on the XS11 design.........and has way more longgivity than the Suzy can offer. ..

Wow.

If I ever see 500hp getting dragged out of an air-cooled Yamaha, maybe 'll believe that.

GS850's have been doing 100,000 miles between rebuilds since the late 70's.

I think this XJ has it hands down over the Bandit in terms of looks and old school cool, and it certainly is the inheritor of the XS11's mantle, but this motor was never the equal of a Suzuki oil-boiler.

Comment

I think this XJ has it hands down over the Bandit in terms of looks and old school cool, and it certainly is the inheritor of the XS11's mantle, but this motor was never the equal of a Suzuki oil-boiler.///////// Well, your certainly entitled to your opinion...........
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by MacMcMacmac View Post
              Wow.

If I ever see 500hp getting dragged out of an air-cooled Yamaha, maybe 'll believe that.

GS850's have been doing 100,000 miles between rebuilds since the late 70's.

I think this XJ has it hands down over the Bandit in terms of looks and old school cool, and it certainly is the inheritor of the XS11's mantle, but this motor was never the equal of a Suzuki oil-boiler.
              I don't think anyone said anything about HP. But while 100,000 miles between rebuilds is good, these engines if not abused are known to far exceed 100,000 miles with no more than normal maint. One member has close to 300,000 KM on his. Most failures are due to carbs dumping gas into the oil or other abuse issues that cause premature death of the engine. And of course an oil burner would out perform, that's their strong suit, at least as long as then are properly set up. When I do searches for MOST bikes of the same age as ours, the parts are few and far between (except for like the XS60's which have TONS of parts available) and some others like the Goldwings. Yes, many other models have large enthusiast followings, and rightfully so, as they are good bikes too. But frankly I've never really been very interested by Suzuki's. My interests have always been either Yamaha's or Honda's.
              Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
              Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
              Vetter Windjammer IV
              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
              OEM Luggage Rack
              Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
              Spade Fuse Box
              Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
              750 FD Mod
              TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
                I don't think anyone said anything about HP. But while 100,000 miles between rebuilds is good, these engines if not abused are known to far exceed 100,000 miles with no more than normal maint. One member has close to 300,000 KM on his. Most failures are due to carbs dumping gas into the oil or other abuse issues that cause premature death of the engine. And of course an oil burner would out perform, that's their strong suit, at least as long as then are properly set up. When I do searches for MOST bikes of the same age as ours, the parts are few and far between (except for like the XS60's which have TONS of parts available) and some others like the Goldwings. Yes, many other models have large enthusiast followings, and rightfully so, as they are good bikes too. But frankly I've never really been very interested by Suzuki's. My interests have always been either Yamaha's or Honda's.
                Indeed Cy...I concur...Yamaha guy from the very start of my riding...just happened by chance but I have stuck with them..recently (2007) I added a Honda to the stable. Nuthin wrong with Suz or Kaw. but its name brand loyalty for me.
                1980 XS650G Special-Two
                1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

100,000 miles was just a number. The 750/850/1000/1100 two valve Suzukis were famous for going round the clock and more with very little drama. The electrical system was another matter, but it was easily improved.

I was not damning the XS in any way, I almost bought one a few years ago. In hindsight, it probably would have been a darn sight better machine than the XJ Turbo I bought instead. I have owned 3 Yamahas, a 900 Seca, 650 Turbo and now an XS650. Except for the turbo, they were nice units. I particularly miss the 900, as it was a nice balance of power, weight, size and handling.

Comment

When I was a young high school kid in the mid 80's, one of the motorcycle moments I remember most was at an Amoco gas station along Anderson avenue just across from the KSU campus in Manhattan Kansas where I grew up.

A college fellow had a Seca 900, and while filling up my Honda Express moped at the station, he was at the pump next to me. He told me how much he liked the bike, I was in awe of that bike from the moment I laid eyes on it. That bike just plain looked fine.

He got done filling up, and as he pulled out of the station making a right turn onto the street, he pegged the throttle and that back end stepped out mightily, I can still remember watching that rear end slide and the shaft drive housing just looked cool to me even at that point in my life. He controlled the slide just fine, probably not the first or last time he did that, but it was quite a sight to my young eyes.

Anyway, As for the Bandit 1250s, like I said back in the earlier posts on this thread, it's a great bike and if I didn't have a ZRX 1200 modded up with some go fast goodies and such in the garage next to my 80 SG, a Bandit 1250 would be on the short list as my other bike.

Especially the newer one for 2011 that now has a full fairing instead of the half fairing of the 2007-2010 models.

Ride on and enjoy it!
                    Last edited by Bonz; 12-08-2011, 11:18 AM.
                    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

I'd love to see someone even take that FJR one more step retro, by reverting to an old style seat/rear fender setup. That Yamaha FJR just reminds me of the old bikes, kinda like how the new Dodge Challenger and Ford Mustang look today....sorry Chevy guys, while I admit the Camaro's nice, retro its not.
                      81 XS1100H

Comment

Did you mean FJR or XJR? If it's XJR then this one's half way there with all the plastic stripped from the rear, and new lights at the front. Wouldnt do it to mine but it's kinda cool just the same.

But if that doesnt grab you, maybe this will. Spotted at the Burt Munro Rally a couple of weeks ago.

Now thats cool.
                        1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                        2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Sorry, meant the XJR, but I'd keep the big round headlight, just custom a rear fender in place of the plastic.
                          81 XS1100H

Comment

Working...
                          X