Going to be saying goodbye to the old XS1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to be saying goodbye to the old XS1100

I hate to do it, but I'm getting a replacement for my '80 XS1100 bagger. I'm just getting tired of spending so much time keeping the XS running instead of being able to get out and actually ride. It's been one thing after another and I know if a keep it any longer I will have to dig into the gears, eventually re-ring it, and who knows what else as it always something with this bike. The nickle and dimeing and spending my weekends fixing it is going to be over. I really liked the XS but it's just so labor intensive that I'm to the point that I don't even ride because I know I will have to work on it that much more and I've lost almost all ambition to keep fixing it.

I like all the features of my XS and found there isn't a new bike that replicates it exactly. I researched different newer models that has neutral stance foot controls (I grown to dislike forward controls), fuel injection, ABS, a powerful engine, has decent looks, shaft or belt drive, and is in my price range (which is way below the ST1300's, FJR's, and Concours). I finally found a bike that I like enough to pull the trigger on. It's a new left over '09 Suzuki Bandit 1250 ABS. The Bandits are good deals to begin with and this is an even better deal as it's heavily discounted being a 09 model. I'm very excited to be able get out and ride again on a reliable bike. I know this forum isn't liking of newer bikes but I've researched and researched this model and it sounds very mechanically sound. I haven't found a single person on forums that's had major mechanical troubles with theirs. A lot of guys get bags for their Bandits and make it a naked sport touring bike which appeals to me. The only downside is having to go back to chain drive. I will miss the hassle free shaft drive of the XS but the price is so good on this Bandit that I can put up with maintaining a chain.

I will still be around a bit longer as I will need to rebuild the carbs on my XS before selling it and I'm sure I will need help from you guys. I want to sincerely thank everyone here for the help you've provided me with my past repairs on the bike. I really mean it. The help here has been incredible. Please keep the XS world going as they are excellent bikes.

Finally, I do feel as if I'm a trader to the XS world. In a strange way I feel like I'm letting everyone down on this forum by going away from my XS. Again, thanks everyone!
    Last edited by BossMaverick; 04-21-2011, 01:05 AM. Reason: Grammar Correction
    1980 XS1100 Standard "Touring"
    Fairing, Trunk, and Bags
    850 FD
    Fork Brace
    Progressive Front Springs
    Engine Guards w/Foot Pegs
    Oil Cooler
    Throttle Lock
    Uni Air Filter in Airbox

2009 Suzuki Bandit 1250S ABS

Dont think you're a traitor to the XS world. There are many people here that no longer own an XS. And once you've ridden a modern sport tour bike,theres really no going back. I am fortunate to own an XJ and a more modern sport tourer. I love both bikes but when its time to do some serious miles the newer bike gets the nod everytime. My XJ is relegated to dayrides and local events. I think you'd be surprised at how many people here have gone over to a more up to date ride. Good luck with the Bandit. Its a great ride. I know of several people that have them and they love 'em.
    1982 XJ1100 MadMax-im
    2001 Honda ST1100

Comment

The fact of the matter is, while we all love these bikes, I am willing to bet there is a reasonable number of owners that stick with their XS because it is the best they can afford as well. So if you found another bike that fits your needs better, and your budget, then so be it.

These bikes can be a labor of love at times. And if you do not enjoy doing the work, then it will become a labor of hate. I sometimes wonder if I do nto enjoy the wrenching as much as I do the riding. So it fits me fine. It helps I have a box of parts left from my old bike to pull from though.

The only way we should consider you a trador is if you chose to send the old XS to a parts bin somewhere or the scrap yard. Otherwise, your just choosing a new way to ride, and just passing on the opportunity to enjoy an XS11 to another.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Traitor

Don't sweat it.. There is no one here that will think that way. It is probably true that most people who own the XS11 because of cost, but there are a few of us that just love these old machines for what they are "vintage motor cycles". I have both a sports tourer (FZ1) and a cruiser (RoadStar Warrior) and love riding these bikes but I aslo love cuising around on my 78E and my 79 SF. In fact, of all the bikes that I have, my wife likes the 78E the most. When she wants to ride, she always picks the 78 to cruise with me on. Good luck with the Bandit, they are good machines.
        Good luck!
        78 XS1100E Standard
        Coca Cola Red
        Hooker Headers

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00580.jpg

1979 XS1100 Special
        http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00612.jpg

1980 XS Standard
        http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC01137.jpg

2006 Roadstar Warrior
        http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...um/warrior.jpg

Comment

If i could afford it, i would have a sport cruiser. I would not give up my XS though. There is definately something about the vintage power and to me the handling of the XS, that you just can't find in the new bikes. It is like having a 57 Chev Belair in the garage, and drive a Honda accord every day. Just gotta love the older but gooder (is that a word?) stuff.
          1980 XS1100LG Midnight
          1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
          A quick death and an easy one.
          A pretty girl and an honest one.
          A cold beer and another one!

Comment

I finally put all I had together, and with the help of a credit card, picked up an ST1300.

I still couldn't go new, and picked up an '05 with 51,308 miles on it.

Kind of 'sticker shock' when I switched it to kms, and found I had just bought a bike with more miles on than any I've ever owned except my '85 Shadow 1100 (92,000kms) but for these it's just broken in.
            Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
            '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Originally posted by Crazcnuk View Post
              I finally put all I had together, and with the help of a credit card, picked up an ST1300.

I still couldn't go new, and picked up an '05 with 51,308 miles on it.

Kind of 'sticker shock' when I switched it to kms, and found I had just bought a bike with more miles on than any I've ever owned except my '85 Shadow 1100 (92,000kms) but for these it's just broken in.
              Does this mean you don't have a XS anymore? If I remember correctly, you provided much help for me in the past and I thank you for it. It would be a little sad to know you were getting out of the XS world but I can't blame you. I'd hate to think of how many hours I've spent working on mine instead of being able to ride. I will say this forum is incredible to the XS world. I would've been lost without it.

I think you made an excellent choice picking out a ST1300. Those are very nice bikes. If I didn't find the Bandit and I wasn't afraid of a larger payment, I would've been keeping an eye out for a ST.

6 more days until I get the Bandit and the wait is killing me.
              Fairing, Trunk, and Bags
              850 FD
              Fork Brace
              Oil Cooler
              Throttle Lock
              Uni Air Filter in Airbox

Comment

Yes, I got rid of all my XS's. I had the same problem as you, all wrench time, no ride time. This year I am going to go riding instead!

I will still hang around. Currently assisting the new owner of my 78E to get used to his new ride.
                Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

If you look at my signature, you will see I now have a "new" bike to commute on. I still ride my MNS on Sunday, and other times as well. As long as you are riding, it really doesn't matter what it is!
                  Don't feel you need to leave either, we'll still respect you in the morning!
                  Have fun and be safe on the new ride!
                  Ray Matteis
                  KE6NHG
                  XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                  XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I was searching the other bike section of this forum. It looks like I'm not the only XS owner that's gone to a Bandit. I guess the features that drew us to the XS also shows itself in the Bandit.

Crazcnuk, have fun riding this season on the ST. Just make sure you still stop back here to help the newbs.
                    Fairing, Trunk, and Bags
                    850 FD
                    Fork Brace
                    Oil Cooler
                    Throttle Lock
                    Uni Air Filter in Airbox

Comment

I love the XS and won't part with her. I own other bikes as well. I am giving some thought on buying a Triumph Rocket III or their new 1200 twin. I don't like all the plastic found on sport bikes and don't care for the harley look. But I will continue my love afair with the XS1100's.

Deny
                      1978 XS1100E - The TimeMachine
                      1980 XS850 Special - Little Mo

Comment

Originally posted by DenyP View Post
                        I love the XS and won't part with her. I own other bikes as well. I am giving some thought on buying a Triumph Rocket III or their new 1200 twin. I don't like all the plastic found on sport bikes and don't care for the harley look. But I will continue my love afair with the XS1100's.

Deny
                        I think us XS'ers have the same tastes in bikes. I dislike all the plastic sport bikes plus I don't I don't care for the riding position since I'm a distance rider. Most cruisers lack power and I prefer not to have forward foot controls. I actually was dreaming of a Rocket III touring but the price is just too high for me. Then I stumbled upon a picture of a silver 2002ish naked Bandit 1200. It was beauty to my eyes. I think they are the best looking production bikes I've found. After researching the Bandit line and searching for the current prices I stumbled across the new one I'm getting. Granted it doesn't look as good as the previous generation naked Bandits but I still like the looks.
                        Fairing, Trunk, and Bags
                        850 FD
                        Fork Brace
                        Oil Cooler
                        Throttle Lock
                        Uni Air Filter in Airbox

Comment

hey I got the last ( I think) tube frame,carbureted ,air cooled standard bike made.

Bandits are great bikes, course I will always keep my XS

Actually the XS is more comfortable but the bandit is more fun.
                          Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

Originally posted by Elevener View Post
                            hey I got the last ( I think) tube frame,carbureted ,air cooled standard bike made.

Bandits are great bikes, course I will always keep my XS

Actually the XS is more comfortable but the bandit is more fun.
                            Nice bike. I really like the look of the black engines on the previous generation of Bandits. I wish they would've kept it on the 07-09 Bandits.
                            Fairing, Trunk, and Bags
                            850 FD
                            Fork Brace
                            Oil Cooler
                            Throttle Lock
                            Uni Air Filter in Airbox

Comment

Bandits are fun scoots. Makes it nice havin another scoot, in my case a ST1100. When the Venturer is feelin' needy and I don't really want to attend to it I just jump on the ST and go. It's my LD ride and at 50+mpg @80+ hard to beat the smoothness and quiet. Figure that way the Bentley can survive another 30yrs. without having to have an overhaul. Try to limit the distance on the XS to 500mi. one way even though it would readily cross the US of A and back in proud form and likely not miss a beat. Now if I can just muster up interest enough to pull the carb bank and re-set floats so fuel levels running are identical........needy, I'm tellin' ya!
                              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
                              X