No announcement yet.

Going to be saying goodbye to the old XS1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not fond of all the plastic on the ST, but then you never need to take it off.

Not a bad trade off.
    Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
    '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Originally posted by Crazcnuk View Post
      I'm not fond of all the plastic on the ST, but then you never need to take it off.

Not a bad trade off.
      A guys ride is real personal! What spins another rider's clock is cool by me! Should I end up getting a new or like new bike, it's mission isn't the same as that of the XS. But at the same time I like a clean, simple machine.

Deny
      1978 XS1100E - The TimeMachine
      1980 XS850 Special - Little Mo

Comment

Yeah, My "new" RT has a BUNCH of tupperware. The good news is it's an air cooled flat twin, so I can still do most of the work on it! I will say, though the MNS is STILL the machine for highway 9 and 35 through the hills.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I have owned two bikes a 1980 cx-500 custom that I picked up for $500. I put 50,000 miles on it in 6 years and all I did was change the oil and tires. I traded it for a truck in January when I was in Illinois didn't really have a choice considering it was my only mode of transportation. Picked up the 1980 xs11 special 2 years ago for $800 and so far same thing oil and tires but not nearly the amount of miles. I am hoping I am lucky and she will end up being a bullet proof workhorse like the cx was. That's right my bike is older than me. It's not what you ride it's that you ride unless it's a Harley JK. I still vividly remember moving from IL to NC with nothing but a duffel bag, my cx, and $500. I talked to no less than 5 harley riders broke down on the side of the road hell one of them was within 100 miles of where he had started but my old honda at less than 1/40th the cost took me everywhere and anywhere I wanted to go. I would have ridden her to CA and back without a worry. I love 80's bikes and can't stand forward controls. I reckon as long as long as they can still be found I will always ride one. I just don't think they make them like they used to.

Comment

Originally posted by doorsfan83 View Post
            I have owned two bikes a 1980 cx-500 custom that I picked up for $500. I put 50,000 miles on it in 6 years and all I did was change the oil and tires. I traded it for a truck in January when I was in Illinois didn't really have a choice considering it was my only mode of transportation. Picked up the 1980 xs11 special 2 years ago for $800 and so far same thing oil and tires but not nearly the amount of miles. I am hoping I am lucky and she will end up being a bullet proof workhorse like the cx was. That's right my bike is older than me. It's not what you ride it's that you ride unless it's a Harley JK. I still vividly remember moving from IL to NC with nothing but a duffel bag, my cx, and $500. I talked to no less than 5 harley riders broke down on the side of the road hell one of them was within 100 miles of where he had started but my old honda at less than 1/40th the cost took me everywhere and anywhere I wanted to go. I would have ridden her to CA and back without a worry. I love 80's bikes and can't stand forward controls. I reckon as long as long as they can still be found I will always ride one. I just don't think they make them like they used to.
            Once the innitial old bike restoration maintenance is done, and regular prevenative maintenance is performed these old bikes go for ever. This is definatelly more then oil and tires!

Deny
            1978 XS1100E - The TimeMachine
            1980 XS850 Special - Little Mo

Comment

Originally posted by DenyP View Post
              Once the innitial old bike restoration maintenance is done, and regular prevenative maintenance is performed these old bikes go for ever. This is definatelly more then oil and tires!

Deny
              Even on newer bikes the PM is more than just oil and tires. Just gotta keep up on the PM and they will just about go forever. Anything else you do is the fun stuff, unless you let something go too long, like a wheel bearing, then you get to do and FD upgrade or the like . Do need to recover my seat again. I figure a couple more times (the foam is in great shape, it's the cover that sucks) I'll be good enough at it that it will look good and actually last. I was going to buy one, but then realized I like the feel of the seat I have, and might not like the replacement, so I just need to learn how to cut and sew the seat cover material (it's what happens when you have a custom seat on a budget).
              Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
              Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
              Vetter Windjammer IV
              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
              OEM Luggage Rack
              Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
              Spade Fuse Box
              Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
              750 FD Mod
              TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

I've owned my 80 SG alongside of a 1997 Bandit 1200s, 2004 Honda ST1300, 2003 Suzuki V Strom 1000 and currently my 80 SG has a 2001 Kawasaki ZRX 1200 as it's garage partner.

I've ridden the new Bandit 1250s as well, and can say it's a great bike. It has so much torque down low, but relatively mild in the grand scheme in terms of having just about 100 hp at the rear wheel, which is still a nice increase over the XS, and the Bandit weighs a bit less as well.

Dale Walker, owner of Holeshot Performance, has done some incredible things with the Bandit 1250s in terms of upping the performance for those that feel so inclined, and told me when it first came out he felt it was the best "standard bike" engine he's ever worked with.

Happy riding, enjoy your bike!
                Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Hang onto IT!

Consider that the XS11's don't bring a lot of $, think about just keeping it for
                  occasional weekend rides, etc.

Who knows, maybe some day they will bring what they're worth in $.
                  According to EBAY they're getting parted out constantly.
                  Tom Clisham

Age is relative YOU WON"T GET OLD TIL YOU SELL THE BIKE

'78xs1100E ,all stock & original GONE TO WISCONSIN

'80 SG Vetter fairing,hard bags,trunk,fork brace,
                  stock headers with fishtail mufflers,black & beautiful GONE TO ARIZONA

79SF lowered,jardine 4/2 exhaust,pod filters,drilled rotors,fork brace, bar hopper

79SF 1 owner,8000 miles, restoring to completely original ( I hope) GONE TO FRANCE

Comment

So I picked up my Bandit today. In short, I love it. It's smooth, has plenty of power, stops great, it's quiet, hassle free, comfortable, looks good (IMHO at least) and just a great all around bike in general. I never realized how much of a beast my XS11 bagger was for handling until riding the Bandit. Curves seems so easy and effortless now. The Bandits aren't the lightest weight bikes for newer bikes but it seems like a feather compared to the XS. I was amazed how easy it is to put on the center stand.

I'm very glad I found the Bandit. It's a very good modern replacement for the XS. If the Bandit had shaft drive I would say the Bandit is the modern XS.
                    1980 XS1100 Standard "Touring"
                    Fairing, Trunk, and Bags
                    850 FD
                    Fork Brace
                    Progressive Front Springs
                    Engine Guards w/Foot Pegs
                    Oil Cooler
                    Throttle Lock
                    Uni Air Filter in Airbox

2009 Suzuki Bandit 1250S ABS

Comment

Hey BossMaverick,

Glad to hear you like the Bandit.

You been stealin' from my signature line? I've been saying for a while now that my ZRX 1200 is "The modern XS 1100... Just not a shaftie".

Anyway, you are welcome to use the line!

And you will find that being a new bike, the mods are pretty extensive for the Bandit 1250S if you so choose to add even more grunt to the fun factor!

The main reason I traded my ST 1300 and V Strom 1000 for my ZRX 1200 was I really liked my 1997 Bandit when I had it years ago, and wanted something that was a bit more unique than the older Bandit (plus I already had owned one) and the knee cut-outs on the tank of the new Bandit 1250S weren't comfortable for my long legs. Knees rested right on the top edge. Plus, the ZRX is in the Kawasaki Green, and I loved the Eddie Lawson replica-like colors.

Have a good time on your new bike!
                      Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Don't worry about chain drive anymore. I've had about 26 bikes, three shafties, four belt, and the rest chain. I'll admit that back in the 70's and early 80's chains meant a lot of checking and then adjusting for propper tension. Today it's a different story. My last four chain bikes have had excellent chains and although I check them as suggested, I have found they need very little adjustment as long as they get their lube as suggested. My present main ride is a 2008 FZ1 bought new in December 2008, has a little over 18,000 miles and I probably have only adjusted the chain about four times and that would be a total of maybe equal to one full turn of the adjuster. I do use my chain wax and kettenMax chain cleaner with every chain check though. I don't think you'll miss the shaft at all.
                        Can't beat the smell of gas & oil

Comment

Well for what ever it's worth I think that bandit is a great looking bike. But, I've got my two XS's for playing and such and I can't conceive giving them up. My wife and I love riding them. But, we want to do some touring in the next few years. At my age and uuhh size now, I really like the comfort and reliability of the Gold Wing. Only problem is my XS's are black and I feel like I should get a different color but, I really like black on a Gold Wing too. I think there are a lot of great bikes out there both old and new. If I had the money I'd have a lot of them but, then I'd go nuts trying to decide which one to ride.
                          (maybe I should just live on the edge and go for dark blue huh?)

blkryno

81 11 SH (83 Venture cct, Tkat fork brace on )
                          79 11 SF (83 Venture cct on the shelf for it.)

Semper Fi

Loud Pipes
                          Draw Cops

Comment

EGG YOLK YELLOW!
                            Marty (in Mississippi)
                            XS1100SG
                            XS650SK
                            XS650SH
                            XS650G
                            XS6502F
                            XS650E

Comment

Yellow

At least those pesky cagers will see you from a mile off!
                              Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
                              The Green Monster
                              K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
                              Got him in '04.
                              bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
                              Scarlet
                              K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
                              Got her in '11
                              Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
                              Hugo
                              Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
                              Cold weather ride

Comment

Don't think I can do the yellow I'm afraid the kids will think it's the school bus. And I don't think to many of them will fit in the trunk and bags.

Comment

Working...
                                X