No announcement yet.

The dangers of trailers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Bad... there was only one windshield... but still rediculous...

Hope this works, first time posting pics...
    There are only two types of bikers...
    those that have layed it down, and
    those that have not layed it down...YET!

1982 XJ1100J Maxim (F-Bomb)
    Not going to lie, Brand new at this... thanks for having a bit of patience with dumb questions

Comment

I never towed with my XS but if have down a few miles pulling a Bushtec and a HF kit Home Built behind my Venture.

For the record there are lots of companies out the still building MC trailers from small single wheels up to pop up campers.

Here's a link to a MC trailer forum http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTrailertowing/? if you scroll down you'll see links to a dozen or more.

As has been said tongue weight needs to be at least 10-15 % of gross trailer weight to prevent sway no matter the size of the trailer.

If building a home built the distance from the axle to the ball (or other coupler) should be at least twice the width of the axle to the center of the tires.

Here is what BD specialties has to say about brakes on their Bunkhouse Campers http://www.bf-specialties.com/brakes.html

Lastly if your looking at towing or do already, I recommend spending sometime looking around at least in MCTrailertowing forum linked above most of the questions have been asked and answered there already.
      Russ Neal
      Milton, NH
      04 GL1800 ABS
      04 Kawasaki Concours(Sold)
      99 Royal Star Venture(Sold)
      80 XS1000 Special(Sold)
      83 XJ750 Midnight Maxim(Sold)
      80 XS1100G(Sold)
      81 XS 650 Special(Sold)

Comment

Failure to Warn Claim Survives- But Why?

A man was injured and his wife was killed while riding their bike and pulling a trailer but they were just dumb Harley owners so it probably doesn't count because they were not smart enough to ride and overload an XS and its tires whilst pulling a trailer:-

Steven Morris v. Harley-Davidson Motor Co., et al., No. 3:09-cv-74 (M.D. Ga.).

Plaintiff alleged that the rear tire of his motorcycle failed, resulting in a crash that killed plaintiff’s wife and left plaintiff seriously injured. Plaintiff contended that the defendants (including the tire company) failed to provide an adequate warning regarding the dangers of overloading the motorcycle. With a full tank of gas weighing 31 pounds, the plaintiff's Ultra Classic’s Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) allowed for an additional 420 pounds of weight capacity for the rider, any passenger, cargo, and accessories. Plaintiff, who weighed 250 pounds, was with his wife, who weighed 204 pounds, riding as a rear passenger. Plaintiff was also pulling a trailer.

The court found it significant that the weight of the trailer was not listed in the components of the GVWR, but that was because the Owner’s Manual also warned against pulling a trailer, ever: “Do not pull a trailer with a motorcycle. Pulling a trailer can cause tire overload, reduced braking efficiency and adversely affect stability and handling, which could result in death or serious injury.” That is exactly what happened, according to plaintiff!

Plaintiff admitted he never read the Owner’s Manual. But in addition to the warnings in the Owner’s Manual, there were also warnings on the Ultra Classic. One warning was located inside the storage compartment on the back end of the Ultra Classic, over the rear wheel, and behind the passenger’s seat, and the Ultra Classic also contained an information plate on the steering head, which listed the Ultra Classic’s GVWR, recommended tire pressures, and other information. Plaintiff testified that he did not see these warnings either.
        -- Scott
        _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
        1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
        1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
        1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
        1979 XS1100F: parts
        2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
          A man was injured and his wife was killed while riding their bike and pulling a trailer but they were just dumb Harley owners so it probably doesn't count because they were not smart enough to ride and overload an XS and its tires whilst pulling a trailer:-

Steven Morris v. Harley-Davidson Motor Co., et al., No. 3:09-cv-74 (M.D. Ga.).
          Completely off subject here, but whats new. The sad thign about that Scott, is how true it is. There is an actual court case where a man sued Google for name infringment, because if you wrote his last name upside down and backwards it looked alot like Google. This case actually had to go through the judicial process!! Google had to spend the time and effor tot repsond to this!!

We have gotten to the point where we have made life so easy to live that it seems we have gathered a belief that no one needs to suffer from their own ignorance and inability to learn form their own mistakes. If I hit my thumb with the hammer trying to drive a nail, it is the fault of the hammer manufacturer that they did not poste a warnign on the hammer that I should keep my thumb out of the way of a misguided blow.

Yeah, my wife is an attorney and that is one of her faults I overlook! Its only fair considering how many of mine she has to look past!!
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

OH come on now ... everyone knows that the warnings should have been tattooed right on the buyers forehead, in reverse so they can be read in a mirror, as soon as the bike was sold to him. We all know that.... right DAAAA
            Rob
            KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
            1978 XS500E
            1979 XS1100F Restored
            1980 XS1100 SG
            1981 Suzuki GS1100
            1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
            1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
              Completely off subject here, but whats new. The sad thign about that Scott, is how true it is. There is an actual court case where a man sued Google for name infringment, because if you wrote his last name upside down and backwards it looked alot like Google.
              I think I remember reading about that one; genuine frivolous lawsuit but I don't remember how it turned out. I could Google it...

The suit against Harley, I think he's suing the tire company too but I'm not sure, is kind of understandable if it's a delaying tactic combined with a roll of the legal dice. The guy lost his wife and probably has bills out the wazoo so he filed the standard, "Sue everyone!" paperwork to get some time, maybe some money, to keep the wolf away from the door while the suit is being considered. For the sake of everyone else on the planet (I know I don't want a tattoo on my forehead!) I really hope he loses but he's in for a rough time however the lawsuit goes.

Condolences to your wife; even the best attorneys have to lose sometimes, lucky you!

Originally posted by 79XS11F View Post
              OH come on now ... everyone knows that the warnings should have been tattooed right on the buyers forehead, in reverse so they can be read in a mirror, as soon as the bike was sold to him. We all know that.... right DAAAA
              Rob
              He'd still never read it! Even if there wasn't already a giant RTL/LTR or spider/web tattoo on his forehead, a warning tattoo would be covered up by the poser grease, mirrored shades and the doo rag under the beanie helmet with the fake DOT sticker.
              -- Scott
              _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
              1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
              1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
              1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
              1979 XS1100F: parts
              2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                Completely off subject here, but whats new. The sad thign about that Scott, is how true it is. There is an actual court case where a man sued Google for name infringment, because if you wrote his last name upside down and backwards it looked alot like Google...
                Soooooo....... His name was El Booj...El Boof....?
                '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Originally posted by 81xsproject View Post
                  I was thinking more like ojboob.
                  1980 XS850SG - Sold
                  1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                  Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                  Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                  -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by 81xsproject View Post
                    In actuality, IIRC, you had to be smoking some REALLY GOOD stuff and shootin some more to even see the resemblance. But he can still file the suit. And the court system still has spend the time to process it.
                    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                    93 GSX600F
                    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                    81 XS1100 Special
                    81 CB750 C
                    80 CB750 C
                    78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                    X