The dangers of trailers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The dangers of trailers

I just had to pass this along to anyone who might be interested in adding a trailer to their bike.

My neighbor has been a biker for years, and ridden many makes of bike. Earlier this Summer, he traded in an Ultra Glide for a new HD Road Glide and a used Road King for his wife. He also hand made a trailer to tow behind his bike. Wood-framed, teardrop-shaped aluminum shell with a sound system and carpeted interior. Really very nice IMO.

Last weekend, they decided to take a trip and trailered 3 bikes and the bike trailer down to Lake of the Ozarks, Branson, and that area. The spent the week there, and returned last night. It turns out, on Thursday, they were riding down the highway at about 55mph, he was leading, towing the trailer. The cage they were following slowed quickly, and he slammed on the brakes. The trailer lifted up off the ground and swung around and swiped him off the bike! The bike then went solo into the rear of the cage. His half-helmet flew off his head, and he lay in the road, in the opposite lane of traffic. The trailer was upside down on the pavement beside him and the bike. A van in the oncoming lane ditched off the road to avoid hitting him. He was air-lifted to the local hospital, where they stapled his head and let him go 4 hours later. He ended up with staples in his head, a severe concussion, and road rash on both arms (no jacket, of course) which the hospital did nothing to clean out, along with pneumonia. Thankfully, he is mobile, but in severe pain, and his bike and trailer are likely totaled.

Had he not been towing the trailer (or at least drastically increased the following distance), he most likely would have been able to stop/swerve in time to avoid a crash. Scary stuff, and I don't envy him or his wife in dealing with the situation. Wear that armor folks - you never know when something like this might happen.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Glad he's gonna be ok.

Absolutely a great reminder that towing a trailer SHOULD significantly change how you ride, especially if it's a heavier trailer.

ATGATT folks!
    Two weeks vacation does NOT make a life.

His: 2006 Ninja 650R, salvaged, 10k miles
    Hers: '82 XJ1100 44.4k miles

Comment

OK, I get why they trailered the bikes. Thats typical with the half helmet and no gear.

But why in the world would you trailer the trailer? To make people more convinced he actually rode somewhere?
      Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

Originally posted by Elevener View Post
        OK, I get why they trailered the bikes. Thats typical with the half helmet and no gear.

But why in the world would you trailer the trailer? To make people more convinced he actually rode somewhere?
        To be honest, I'm not really sure on that one... I think the idea was to make the long part of the trip in the truck, then do the rest of the vacation on the bikes. Then, meet pack up with the truck to haul the whole mess home again. Seems like it would have been a lot more enjoyable to just ride the whole way, but maybe the 4 hour ride is too much on a HD?
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

So he got pneumonia from the wreck?
          "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
          1981 LH

Comment

Originally posted by dpotter58 View Post
            So he got pneumonia from the wreck?
            Evidently, that's what his wife said. Not being a medic, I'm not sure what could cause fluid in the lungs, but it happened.
            1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

As with cages and trailers you MUST increase following distance. It takes longer to stop.

On a side note. Think it would work to add electronic trailer brakes to MC trailer? that certainly would have helped if not prevented this.
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights
              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines
              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

One, he made the trailer way to light obviously, and apparently put nothing of any weight inside it. Honestly, it sounds like a lesson in making your own stuff if you do not know what your doing.

As to the pneumonia, that is a common occurance with any kind of chest injury. I was in ICU for three days so they could monitor my lungs due to some bruising of the lungs, and see that I did not get pneumonia. They also gave me this contraption which had a tube I had to suck air in from until the plunger inside it went up to a certain level. I had to use it three times every hour for the first couple months. The purpose was to keep my lungs inflated and reduce my liklihood to get pneumonia.
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

As a rider who towed a trailer behind my XS for a number years, I can say that it sounds like his problem was the trailer was too big and too heavy.

Trailer weight including loaded items should never be more than 25% of the bike weight (not including rider/passenger). Even at that percentage, you need to be careful. Go more than that, and you're risking just this sort of thing. It's also very important to keep the weight down low.

I towed mine regularly from '78 through '85, and as long as I kept the loaded trailer weight below 150 lbs, I never had any issues. I did increase my stopping distances, but tracking and cornering were never a problem. This could lead you to a false sense of security though, so caution was always my watchword.

The only time I ever had trouble towing, I overloaded the trailer (no choice at the time, I had to get 'stuff' someplace..). The trailer did try to 'push' the bike that time, and I never repeated that. I don't think trailer brakes would be an answer, as the extra weight penalty of a brake system would be worse.

At one time (late 70s/early 80s), bike trailers were very popular and you could buy large 'motorcycle' tent trailers that would sleep up to six (I'm not kidding!). After numerous accidents (some fatal), the bike manufacturers all came out against towing and bike trailers pretty much disappeared off the market.

If you're going to tow, use a sturdy hitch that does not deflect (important!!), keep the trailer size/weight down, and give yourself extra room when riding.

I'm glad the guy survived....
                  Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                  '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                  '82 XJ rebuild project
                  '80SG restified, red SOLD
                  '79F parts...
                  '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                  '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                  '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                  '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                  Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                  Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                    he traded in an Ultra Glide for a new HD Road Glide and a used Road King for his wife.
                    Huh... most people I've heard... trade the wife, for the bikes...

On a more solemn note... glad to hear that it wasn't much worse. He was very lucky to be able to go home at all... much less in that short a time.
                    We wish him a speedy recovery and best wishes to his family as well.
                    81 SH Something Special
                    81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                    81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
                    80 LG Black Magic
                    78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                    For those on FB

Comment

Just as an fyi, (glad to hear he's ok) trailer brakes really do very little to help stop the mass of the trailer, the tow vehicle provides at least 70% of the stopping power, what they DO do, is help control the mass during hard/panic stops, that is, keeps the trailer behind the tow vehicle. No matter what you are driving or trailering, a jacknifed trailer sucks!
                      '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

Pneumonia

My background in the military as an ER nurse has shown me that ANY significant trauma can lead to a pneumonia. We typically think of pneumonia caused by infection, but you can get fluid in the lungs from what was described. A significant hit to the ground can bruise delicate lung tissues and they get weepy. A large enough insult causes lung failure and the need to be ventilated.

The rider was lucky. I would buy a lottery ticket, better helmet and dump the trailer idea.

John
                        John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                        '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                        Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

brakes

No brakes on the trailer, that is the problem, most of them dont have brakes, when he stoped the bike the momentem of the trailer just keap on going.
                          1979 xs1100 f
                          142 main, 45 pilot, Jardeen crosover 4/2, no air box
                          floats @ 25.7

1979 xs1100 F
                          1978 gl 1000 goldwing
                          1981 gl 1100 goldwing
                          !986 venture royale 1300

Just an ol long haired country boy, come to town to spend some egg money
                          when ya get bucked off, get back on

Comment

Unless I read the info wrong (happens from time to time) the trailer raised up off the ground, swung around, and swiped him off the bike, but did not knock the bike down. Which gives me the impression it hit waist high or above on the rider.

Just my opinion I suppose, but that is not the result of to much weight. For it to swing around like a rag doll and smack the rider more than the bike the thing had to weigh very little. Mass and momentum would keep it moving and make it swing around, but weight would still keep it close to the ground not chest high. Gravity being what it is and all.
                            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                            93 GSX600F
                            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                            81 XS1100 Special
                            81 CB750 C
                            80 CB750 C
                            78 XS750

Comment

idea

This just gave me an idea, i have been colecting parts for a trailer and it just came to me how to put brakes on it, with all the parts bikes i bought from karla i can use two of the wheels with the rotors and calpers on them and rig up a set of brakes, the size of the wheels would make it pull good i would think, gona have to think about this one.
                              1979 xs1100 f
                              142 main, 45 pilot, Jardeen crosover 4/2, no air box
                              floats @ 25.7

1979 xs1100 F
                              1978 gl 1000 goldwing
                              1981 gl 1100 goldwing
                              !986 venture royale 1300

Just an ol long haired country boy, come to town to spend some egg money
                              when ya get bucked off, get back on

Comment

Working...
                              X