The warranty has run out on my body!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The warranty has run out on my body!

My wife is 13 months my senior. When she turned 65 she had multiple medical problems hit all at once. She joked that she felt like the warranty on her body had run out and now her body is breaking down. Suddenly I can easily relate.

A couple of weeks before the Cali Rally I noticed blood in my urine: not a happy sign. A CAT scan revealed an “orange sized tumor” growing on the out side of my bladder.
    A bladder biopsy was recommended, and after this procedure was described to me I asked the Doc to schedule it for after the Rally, suspecting that I wouldn’t able to sit on a bike and participate. Boy was I right!

Through the rally I was thinking the “worst case scenario” would be that I would have to have my bladder removed and I would have to live with a tube sticking out of my abdomen and have an external urine bag strapped to my leg. I actually accepted this idea rather quickly: no more bladder urgency or “shy bladder” syndrome. On long rides I could just run a tube down my leg and let it flow! I realized of course that this would permanently relegate me to the back of the pack!

Monday was my biopsy It came back that the tumor is not only malignant, but is an “aggressive” form of cancer, and may have spread to surrounding tissue. I am having a PET scan tomorrow and should get the results Friday. This will give me “the bottom line.” It does look like, one way or another, I am in for at least a couple of months of surgery and/ or chemo and radiation therapy.

Sorry to bring you down, but I had to get it off my chest. You are my online family.
    Your prayers, support, and tales of happy outcomes for such situations will be greatly appreciated.

Special Ed
    Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
    I've been riding since 1959.

Ed I am sorry to hear that it was a blast meeting you and they do have some amazing treatments these days . My 79 year old grandma was told she had a year to live and that was 15 years ago. Our thoughts and prayers are with you
    91 kwaka kz1000p
    Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

Very sorry to hear of your diagnosis Ed. I can tell you that my Mother-in-law has had colon cancer twice over the past ten to fifteen years. And she is still with us at over 80 yo.

They do have some very impressive treatments. I will also share with you a story of a friend of mine. He was diagnosed with Cancer about a month before his daughter was born. His was a lymphoma in his chest and it was already in his lymph glands. Well, 11 years later his best advice was this, "the doctors job is to treat the cancer, my job is not to let them kill me with the treatment". So, be mindful of what you let them do, ask ALOT of questions and then think about it and ask some more.

Know that our thoughts and prayers ARE with you Ed.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Chin up Ed!

You know that all our thoughts and prayers will be for you Ed. They have come a long way in the last few years.

OBTW- I have been driving mine without warranty for at least 30 years!
        Last edited by jmnjrpa; 06-24-2010, 05:57 AM.
        '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
        Original except:
        120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
        4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
        Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
        All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
        Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

You know we all wish you the best. Good luck and I will be sure to send a few prayers skyward for you from down here in Louisiana. Doesnt seem like he listens to us down here much lately but hey, we'll keep try'in for you.
          Mike Giroir
          79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

You have my best wishes Ed. As you may be aware, my Daughter has just come through a major cancer issue and I'm only too aware of the anguish and uncertainty it causes. One of the things I learnt to fully appreciate was the near miracles that medicine and surgery can perform these days. 40 years ago my mother died of breast cancer, when removing a breast was radical new surgery, and she didnt have it done. These days it's common place and millions of lives are saved every year. I just read something that said the 5 year survival rate for bladder tumors is now over 85%, whereas as little as 10 years ago it was 50% and 20 years ago it was only 20%. Chin up, keep positive. it's not the killer it used to be.

Just a tip. Get very informed. Ask your doctor lots and lots of questions, to the point of being a PIA. Gather as much information as you can, good and bad, from everywhere, and fully understand whats happening and whats being done about it. And also about how to deal with it after it's over. Understanding it and staying positive, and not being blindsided by suprises, is one of the keys to staying as healthy as you can throughout, and having a speedy recovery.

I'm not a religous man, so me praying wont help but my thoughts, and those of my Daughter, are definately with you.

Brian.
            1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
            2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Ed,
              You KNOW I'm here pulling for you! After what I went through with my son, this shouldn't be too bad. As everyone has said, ask questions! the more you know, the better you are able to fight it. The #1 thing I learned from my son is KEEP A POSITIVE ATTITUDE! That helps more than some medications!
              And hey, if you down for a few months, we can get the bike looking nice!
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Very sad

Ed,
                I'm really sorry to hear about your cancer. My Dad had the same thing and he had the bag for years. The end wasn't caused by the cancer though, it was the smoking and being a stick welder for 40+ years that filled his lungs with so much smoke that did him in. I'm so sad because you are one of my favorite XSives.
                Dick
                You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                Drilled airbox
                Tkat fork brace
                Hardly mufflers
                late model carbs
                Newer style fuses
                Oil pressure guage
                Custom security system
                Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Sorry to hear about that, Ed. I can only try to imagine what it would feel like to hear that kind of diagnosis. I don't have any advice to give, but I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Say... In California, does that make you eligible for that medical marijuana thing?
                  1980 XS850SG - Sold
                  1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                  Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                  Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                  -H. Ford

Comment

Condolences on the bad news. I can still remember the emotions of when my father came home with that news. They wouldn't give any time frame to him, but weren't optimistic. That was about 17-18 years ago. He has been in remission for about 15 years now. As he has leukemia, there isn't much to do aside from chemo (which he refused) and a marrow transplant iirc. He did try some "experimental" treatments that he had to go down to the USA for. I'm sure treatments have made many advancements so as to help people live longer with a lower chance of re-occurance.

Best wishes and I'll keep as many digits crossed as I can for happy results.
                    K. Johnson
                    -1978 XS750SF - brought back from the dead with carb
                    triple clean and boots
                    -1982 XJ1100J - brought back from the dead by
                    replacing motor after throwing #4 rod
                    -1985 XJ750XN - shim job, oil change, ride. not bad for
                    $500 including new rear tire.

Comment

Dear Ed,
                      Sorry to hear your news. You're on my prayer list.
                      1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

So sorry to hear about your illness Ed,
                        hope all goes well for you.
                        my thoughts are with you.
                        pete

new owner of
                        08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                        1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                        zrx carbs
                        18mm float height
                        145 main jets
                        38 pilots
                        slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                        fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Special Ed View Post
                          - - - Monday was my biopsy It came back that the tumor is not only malignant, but is an “aggressive” form of cancer, and may have spread to surrounding tissue. I am having a PET scan tomorrow and should get the results Friday. This will give me “the bottom line.” It does look like, one way or another, I am in for at least a couple of months of surgery and/ or chemo and radiation therapy. - - -
                          Hi Ed,
                          that's really nasty news. Please accept my best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery.
                          Other posts claim the survival rates are up to 85% these days from the 50% of a decade or so in the past.
                          Better now than then. Or from a century ago when people in their 60s simply "died of old age".
                          Fred Hill, S'toon
                          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Ed you will be remembered in my prayers...

I hope your recovery is as speedy as your bike! You WILL overcome this.

John
                            John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                            '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                            Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Sorry to hear about all that. Hope everything turns out ok.
                              Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Working...
                              X