No announcement yet.

The warranty has run out on my body!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ed, think of the docs' gloomy warning as a challenge. If Lance Armstrong can beat cancer and win that French bike race you can ... you know, you'll probably have to practice a lot but it should be a lot more fun than riding a bicycle!
    -- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
      "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" 1966 by Robert Heinlein. Ed, you would like it if you have not read it. Discusses Libertarian ideals in a future society. The "fair dinkum" is a self-aware computer that runs the Moon complex.
      Now that's funny , I would thought that when talking Australian that would have been a "god" complex.

Sorry Cueball, couldnt resist that one. To the rest, it's just the relationship we have between Aus and NZ and no chance to poke the borax should go wanting

Ed, Your news is a great result to get considering other possible outcomes. The body is an amazing animal and can adapt to many things and with the right mindset, which it sounds like you have, life will be different but it dosent have to be bad.

Chin up brother and look forward, not back.
      1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
      2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Day Seven

7 days to go. Today I spent 4.5 hrs with an IV in my arm getting "Hydrated" plus some chemical that is supposed to push the calcium in my blood back into my bones. Tomorrow I get to "mark the spot" for the new urine outlet in my abdomen that I will have to live with for the rest of my life. Let's see, left, right, high, low? Right above my tally-whacker? Should I let my wife in on this decision?
        Surgery bad. drugs good!

Edgar
        I have a new respect for spell check! I misspelled "tally-whacker." Not only did spell check let me know I had miss spelled "tally- whacker," but it gave me two possible correct spellings: which do you think is correct, with or without the hyphen?
        Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
        I've been riding since 1959.

Comment

Was wondering

Not to belittle your problem, but I was wondering how that is going to work out with the kilt?
          You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
          Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
          Drilled airbox
          Tkat fork brace
          Hardly mufflers
          late model carbs
          Newer style fuses
          Oil pressure guage
          Custom security system
          Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

I just want to know whats with all this discussion about you wacking the thing. You could go blind if you keep that up, or so my mother always said.

Seriously though Ed, it is good your keeping a good outlook on this. Not that I ever felt as if my situation was life threatening, although the docs thought it was for a few days, but I know that my progress and recovery have been much quicker partly due to my attitude that things may be different, but its only worse if you think it is.

Keep up those good spirits and look forward to hearing about your next ride or meet in a few months.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Get well

Originally posted by b.walker5 View Post
              You have my best wishes Ed. As you may be aware, my Daughter has just come through a major cancer issue and I'm only too aware of the anguish and uncertainty it causes. One of the things I learnt to fully appreciate was the near miracles that medicine and surgery can perform these days. 40 years ago my mother died of breast cancer, when removing a breast was radical new surgery, and she didnt have it done. These days it's common place and millions of lives are saved every year. I just read something that said the 5 year survival rate for bladder tumors is now over 85%, whereas as little as 10 years ago it was 50% and 20 years ago it was only 20%. Chin up, keep positive. it's not the killer it used to be.

Just a tip. Get very informed. Ask your doctor lots and lots of questions, to the point of being a PIA. Gather as much information as you can, good and bad, from everywhere, and fully understand whats happening and whats being done about it. And also about how to deal with it after it's over. Understanding it and staying positive, and not being blindsided by suprises, is one of the keys to staying as healthy as you can throughout, and having a speedy recovery.

I'm not a religous man, so me praying wont help but my thoughts, and those of my Daughter, are definately with you.

Brian.
              Hi Ed,
              I second what Brian said about information & encouragement. I will mention a get well request for you in my prayers, I have faith that they will be heard, I Believe that i would like to ride with you again; South Lake Tahoe, Carson City, Virginia City, Sierra Nevada Mountains.

Let us know how health fix goes & especially when you are up for such a ride.
              It is a great big beautiful world out there
              Brent in GA
              Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

Thank you one and all. I have become aware that I am not the only one with medical issues, and I wish everyone the very best.
                My operation is tomorrow and I probably won't be back on line for several days, but as soon as I have recovered enough I will be back!
                Special Ed
                Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
                I've been riding since 1959.

Comment

You'll be fine, Ed, we'll see you when you come back!
                  -- Scott
                  _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

My sister just had the upper part of her thigh bone removed because of a tumor. They originally thought it would be a total hip replacement, but it turned out to be less drastic. I pray that you have the same good fortune. As Scott said, we'll be here when you get back.
                    1979XS1100SF
                    K&N's and drilled airbox
                    Jardine 4in1
                    Dunlop Elite 3's
                    JBM slide diaphragms
                    142.5 main jets
                    45 pilot jets
                    T.C.'s fusebox & SOFA
                    750/850 FD mod.
                    XV 920 Needle Mod.
                    Mike's XS plastic floats set at 26mm
                    Venture Cam Chain Tensioner

Comment

Quick update on Ed. He gave me a call today and said everything went well. He has a direct line to GOOD DRUGS, and a button if he needs a little more! Sounds like the same old Ed, just a little tired. I'm going to stop in and see him Thursday. I'll let him know we are all pulling for him.
                      The one funny thing he had to say was he is on a "no food" diet until he can pass gas! I guess that is how they know his insides have been sewn up correctly. If it can hold the gas, it can hold food!
                      I'll be out of town without a computer Friday morning through Monday night, so you will have to wait for Ed to get home to post any more.
                      Ray Matteis
                      KE6NHG
                      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Thanks, Ray!

Whew! Poor Ed, all alone with a magic button and having a gas! It's certainly better than some of the other options!
                        -- Scott
                        _____

Comment

Scott,
                          When you next get up this way, I think I'll let you have your hat back! You have probably been looking for it. It's been hanging in the garage, I think you probably put it up and I have not moved it.
                          I DO have a Motoretro magazine for Ed to read, so he should be happy for a little while.
                          Ray Matteis
                          KE6NHG

Comment

Hah! I was wondering where that hat went, I thought I lost it! Yay!
                            -- Scott
                            _____

Comment

DiverRay,
                              When you talk to Ed, tell him to ask around to see if he can get a bowl of chilli and prunes.
                              RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

When you talk to Ed, tell him to ask around to see if he can get a bowl of chilli and prunes
                                Penny made some Chilli Tuesday, and put two tablespoons of my HOT Santa Fe spice mix in it. She could almost eat one bowl, but I had three! Problem with it is Ed would have to go back into surgery to replace the burned parts!
                                I'll be talking with Ed in about an hour, so I'll let him know everyone is still making fun of him.
                                Ray Matteis
                                KE6NHG

Comment

Working...
                                X