This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ooooh Man!
    All that work for a cheap shot at me. Good job!
    But, b.walker, why all the venom, buddy?
    Joe

78XS1100

Comment

Surprise, surprise... THIS thread is in a downward spiral. Lock it up, people. If the hostility continues, I am shutting this thread down.
      '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Wow

I missed it again! Where is it at?? I can't believe I get left out of all the fun!!!! Did someone delete it before I got my coffee?? Well darn it anyway, at least I snuck in before closing!

Hey Jessie, let me at em next time. I'll give em a good thrashing for ya! Please?? Just kiddin!
        Last edited by jmnjrpa; 05-25-2010, 07:11 AM.
        '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
        Original except:
        120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
        4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
        Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
        All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
        Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

I heard a long time ago, "Don't believe anything you hear on the internet and only half of what you see." R.I.P. HBT
          My 1978 http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/mstic2000/xs.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by b.walker5 View Post
            - - - As I left, the kid was still protesting his innocence, and stating that the Ford he was looking at was the same car as the Mazda, and all the parts were the same.
            I think I'll go and get some Virago parts for my XS. They're made in the same factory aren't they??
            Hi Brian,
            yeah, way back I got a Ford Courier 1/4-ton pickup which is a badge-engineered Mazda whatever.
            It needed a new radio. Buddy had one out of his Mazda car "it's bound to bolt straight in there, eh?" Not so! Despite the Ford's under the hood nameplate proudly announcing "Mazda etc." the radio cut out was the huge North American standard rather than the smaller Japanese one in Buddy's Mazda.
            BTW, won't those Virago swirly mags bolt right in?
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by b.walker5 View Post
              ...and if it ain't in the computor it doesn't exist...
              Try going into one of those places with something non-stock....

Conversation with a knucklehead counterman last year:

Me: I need one of these (showing him a sensor).

KHC: Ok, what's it for?

Me: Try a '94 Camero, V-8 auto trans.

KHC (after punching at the keys for a bit): What's your VIN?

Me: I don't have any idea. Can't you do a look-up without it?

KHC: No, the computer won't let me go any further without the VIN.

Me: OK.... try a '95 Corvette, auto trans.

KHC: I thought you said it was a Camero.

Me: It's a '95 'vette motor, but it's running on Camero electronics.

KHC: Oh, so you put a Corvette motor in your Camero?

Me (after some hesitation, because this is really going to throw him for a loop): No, it's in a Jaguar...

KHC: Whaaa? A Jaguar??

Me: Just try the 'vette listing...

KHC (after more key punching): I don't show a listing for that; what year is the Jaguar? Maybe I could try that?

Me: Jaguars didn't come with Corvette motors; this one was swapped in. Can't you look these parts up in your books? (pointing at their catalog rack).

KHC: Uhhh.... I don't know how to use those....

Me: You don't know much about anything, do you?

KHC: silence....

I broke down and went the Chevy dealer, put the part on the counter, and the guy didn't even look it up; just went and got one. Of course, I paid three times as much for it...

'78E original owner
              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '80SG restified, red SOLD
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                Try going into one of those places with something non-stock....

Conversation with a knucklehead counterman last year:

Me: I need one of these (showing him a sensor).

KHC: Ok, what's it for?

Me: Try a '94 Camero, V-8 auto trans.

<Snip------->

Me: You don't know much about anything, do you?

KHC: silence....

I broke down and went the Chevy dealer, put the part on the counter, and the guy didn't even look it up; just went and got one. Of course, I paid three times as much for it...
                Can't say that I've ever gone to any parts counter that asked for my VIN. If they did I'd take my business elsewhere as the VIN of the vehicle I'm getting parts for is none of their business and frankly they don't need it to find the part unless I don't know what the part came from.

I did have a part break on my Camaro (the proper spelling of it BTW, is Camaro owners can be a bit anal about spelling the name correctly ) that required going to the dealer as nobody carries them aftermarket (it was the rear hatch motor assy as it's a dealer only item, but you can also get them from Caddy dealers as it's the same one used on their trunks to allow you to close the hatch gently yet still close firmly).
                Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                Vetter Windjammer IV
                Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                OEM Luggage Rack
                Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                Spade Fuse Box
                Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                750 FD Mod
                TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by joceiphus View Post
                  Ooooh Man!
                  All that work for a cheap shot at me. Good job!
                  But, b.walker, why all the venom, buddy?
                  WTF are you on about man?. That had nothing to do with you.

It was in response to this from Big Dick... in reference to my tag line. Time to relax for a while, no one's out to get you. Not even me.

Originally posted by BigDick View Post
                  I gotta hijack for this. What's the story? Did he try to give you hardley parts for your 11?
                  Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
                  Can't say that I've ever gone to any parts counter that asked for my VIN. If they did I'd take my business elsewhere as the VIN of the vehicle I'm getting parts for is none of their business and frankly they don't need it to find the part unless I don't know what the part came from.
                  Hi Cy, Standard procedure over here. All dealers are linked to the national road transport database and the VIN is used to nail down the correct model and varient of the vehicle, so they can find the right parts
                  1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                  2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Yes, I recently ordered some options for my Sebring, and they needed the VIN to make sure they had the right kits for my car.

Back when I was doing a lot of projects, we so annoyed the Canadian Tire parts counter people, with our 'try this' etc., tha thtey finally showed us how to log into the computer to look stuff up without having to bother them!

You would be surprised at the price difference between a set of valve cover gaskets for a 350ci chevy depending on whether they came out of a 75 Mailibu, or a 75 Corvette!
                    Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                    '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

He He He. How's that for fluff??
                      '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
                      Original except:
                      120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
                      4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
                      Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
                      All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
                      Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

• Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
                        Can't say that I've ever gone to any parts counter that asked for my VIN.
                        Nowadays they need the VIN because they are built in different plants in different countries which in-turn use totally different parts along with mid year changes etc.... so if they aren't asking for your VIN, you might get home with the wrong part. Even my early build Firebird, 3rd week of February 1967, has some totally different parts then the ones built in April 1967.
                        http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

• See what happens when my back is turned?

Did not know this thread was happening or that ending the HBT thread was eminent. Pity: opinionated libertarian that I am, I derived much entertainment from it. I especially enjoyed locking horns with Guy_big, and Jerry. I thought it was a good idea. Everyone was forewarned and no-one was forced to go there.
                          That there are some who cannot observe the rules of civil discourse is unfortunate. I am unaware of what forced this decision: I do, believe it or not, have a real life outside of this website. But, as someone pointed out there are other sites for hard core political discussions.
                          Still it reminds me of the old joke about the old lady who called the police about her neighbor who was "indecently exposing" himself. The officer arrived and, when instructed to look through her neighbors window announced,"I'm sorry lady, I don't see how you can see anything 'indecent' from here." She replied, "well, just stand on this chair and you will!" If political discourse isn't your cup of tea, why go there?
                          Special Ed
                          Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
                          I've been riding since 1959.

Comment

• Well Ed,

I sure don't think you had anything to do with the closing of that thread. Opinionated you may be, (as am I), but I also enjoyed our "discussions" and I didn't feel slighted in the least.
                            Guy

'78E

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Comment

• I had never heard of the Familia and being a auto tech that kinda bothered me so I looked it up.

Then the went on in my head and I know what vehicle your talking about now. ........LOL..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_Familia

Comment

• Originally posted by b.walker5 View Post
                                ...and if it aint in the computor it doesnt exist...

Just at the point where I was going to leap the counter (with my bad back, and broken leg ) and throttle this twit, his boss appeared from the back room. "What seems to be the difficulty sir" ? I explained to this guy what I wanted and why, he looked on the computor for about 3 seconds, went to the parts room and placed the required part on the counter. The young guy asked his boss where he got the part number from? to which he casually replied "from the Mazda directory, you were in the Ford directory", "But" he cried "I was looking at the Festiva listing, theyre the same car" "Aparently not" said his boss and went back to his office.
                                wow, I wanna buy you a beer and shake your hand now, at the very least you deserve that.
                                1980 XS11SG
                                Dunlop elite 3's, progressive fork springs, tkat brace
                                Stock motor, airbox, carbs, exhaust
                                ratted out, mean, and nasty

Comment

Working...
                                X