This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Montreux_Blue View Post
    This bike is about as close as I could find to 76 degrees....

I'm not that far away with my chopper; 49 degrees in the neck, nothing in the trees (but it should have, as that would bring the trail back to something reasonable), and nothing in the frame. The forks are only 4" over. I was more interested in getting the bike low rather than having loooong forks...

And yes, I took heat from Fred (and others) for this....

'78E original owner
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

That's not bad Steve, at least you've got some rear suspension.

It's the HARDtails that real greive us old farts.....

How does it handle above 70 ?

Comment

Originally posted by b.walker5 View Post
        And there-in lies the reason why reasonable discussion cant be achieved in the hbt. There are too many people who just want to draw attention to themselves and behave like children.
        I love you b.walker5.
        Joe

78XS1100

Comment

That is a very good looking bike steve!
          Joe

78XS1100

Comment

I don't like it. That's my opinion, deal with it. It's your bike though so do whatever you want to it.
            http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

I like a good debate, but....

Yes, I posted in the HB, but started feeling a little awkward about it. Never got involved with the hardtail issue because it held no interest to me. In general I don't feel deprived because it is gone. If I offended anyone there, my apologies.
              1979XS1100SF
              K&N's and drilled airbox
              Jardine 4in1
              Dunlop Elite 3's
              JBM slide diaphragms
              142.5 main jets
              45 pilot jets
              T.C.'s fusebox & SOFA
              750/850 FD mod.
              XV 920 Needle Mod.
              Mike's XS plastic floats set at 26mm
              Venture Cam Chain Tensioner

Comment

Originally posted by XSokieSPECIAL View Post
                That's not bad Steve, at least you've got some rear suspension.

It's the HARDtails that real greive us old farts.....

How does it handle above 70 ?
                Hey, I learned my lesson about hardtails at least 30 years ago; that's why this bike has rear suspension. And having a bad back, it had to be at least semi-ridable.

As far as handling, the faster you go, the more stable it gets; just don't try to turn...

'78E original owner

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                '82 XJ rebuild project
                '79F parts...
                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

For those of you who like flat out BS arguing...
                  Try the comments section on just about any article at sfgate.com

mro

Comment

Originally posted by mro View Post
                    For those of you who like flat out BS arguing...
                    Try the comments section on just about any article at sfgate.com

mro
                    Hi mro,
                    I opened that site out of curiosity. Scrolled down the main page to a heading "diary of a sex slave" and realized the site was not for me after all.
                    Fred Hill, S'toon
                    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I have just learned from experience, it doesn't matter if you have a soft tail or not, 600 miles in 90 degree heat will make your butt hurt anyway. The only benefit at this point is that it doesn't shake up the open containers as bad, I guess.

So what that has to do with the price of rice in China, I don't know, but it sounded good.
                      Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                        Hi mro,
                        I opened that site out of curiosity. Scrolled down the main page to a heading "diary of a sex slave" and realized the site was not for me after all.
                        Hmmm... not interested in broadening your horizons Fred?
                        Well there is a rather “Liberal/Progressive/Marxist” following in SF.
                        A guy called Mark Medford (a columnist there) could have shut down the HBT forum in his first post. Is sorta interesting to read some of the comments from “The “Chronicle News” section. Helps to understand just how CA CA land has become the land of the lost.

mro
                        BTW,
                        wonder if TC and the mods noticed I did not get into posting in our HBT forum.
                        Stranger things have happened, but not very many

Comment

Originally posted by b.walker5 View Post
                          Tag line stays, btw. It's got nothing to do with hbt, it's in reference to an idiot I struck behind a parts counter when looking for parts for my wifes car recently. He really was an unarmed person when it came to intelligence.
                          I gotta hijack for this. What's the story? Did he try to give you hardley parts for your 11?
                          1980 XS11SG
                          Dunlop elite 3's, progressive fork springs, tkat brace
                          Stock motor, airbox, carbs, exhaust
                          ratted out, mean, and nasty

Comment

Originally posted by BigDick View Post
                            I gotta hijack for this. What's the story? Did he try to give you hardley parts for your 11?
                            Probably more of a reference to the fact that most auto parts stores have decided that being able to click info into a computer is an adequate substitute for actual mechanical/automotive knowledge.....

'78E original owner

'82 XJ rebuild project
                            '79F parts...
                            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                              Probably more of a reference to the fact that most auto parts stores have decided that being able to click info into a computer is an adequate substitute for actual mechanical/automotive knowledge.....

'78E original owner
                              I AGREE 100% WITH THAT!
                              '79 XS11 F
                              Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                              Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                              GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post

'78E original owner
                                ...and if it aint in the computor it doesnt exist...

My wife has a little 1999 Mazda Famillia (a motorised shopping trolley) and the electric door locks have been giving grief for a while now. The last straw came when she shut the door in a supermarket car park and it locked itself, with the keys inside. After all the yelling at me for not fixing it stopped, and I got the car home (man, two door cars are easy to break into ) I took one of the locks out and headed for the dealer. I probably could have fixed it myself, but apart from my hotrod, i dont really have any desire to stuff about with cars.

I don't know about you guys but over here Mazda parts are supplied through Ford dealers, as a lot of the little Fords are just re-badged Mazda's anyway.

Well I turned up at the Parts Counter and was greeted by this fresh out of school, pimple faced, red headed dweeb and I thought to myself "this is gonna be fun" I presented him the door lock, and the model and vin of the car, and said I want one of these. He immediately went to the computor sitting on the counter and after an agonisingly long time said that the part wasnt available. "What? Whaddya mean it's not available, it's not that old"? "Sorry sir but that model doesnt have electric door locks". "So" (holding up the part) "Whats this then? Scotch Mist"? "I dont know sir, because according to the computor it doesnt have them" (AND HE WAS ADAMANT). I said "We'll the computor is wrong"!! "Oh no sir, the computor cant be wrong, the parts CD's are supplied by the manufacturer and are very accurate, perhaps the locks were fitted as an aftermarket part". I'm starting to loose my rag at this stage and felt like grabbing this young welp round the throat, and shaking some sense into him. "Look" I said "My wife bought this car brand new in 1999 and I can guarantee you that no one has fitted any extra door locks!! They're a factory part, have been since day one and I need one! If you cant supply one then I'll go to the dealer in the next town and get one from there". "That wont do you any good sir as they are not available". Just at the point where I was going to leap the counter (with my bad back, and broken leg ) and throttle this twit, his boss appeared from the back room. "What seems to be the difficulty sir" ? I explained to this guy what I wanted and why, he looked on the computor for about 3 seconds, went to the parts room and placed the required part on the counter. The young guy asked his boss where he got the part number from? to which he casually replied "from the Mazda directory, you were in the Ford directory", "But" he cried "I was looking at the Festiva listing, theyre the same car" "Aparently not" said his boss and went back to his office.

I paid for the part and left, vowing never to deal with that kid ever again. As I left, the kid was still protesting his innocence, and stating that the Ford he was looking at was the same car as the Mazda, and all the parts were the same.

I think I'll go and get some Virago parts for my XS. Theyre made in the same factory arent they??
                                1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                                2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Working...
                                X