79 XS1100 Cafe Style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 79 XS1100 Cafe Style

Here are some pics of my new/old 79 XS1100 mild cafe style project. Looking for that elusive standard tank with all the goodies attached. Build comments appreciated.

Last edited by keithwood87; 10-24-2009, 09:03 AM. Reason: update

Somebody finally gets it

That's a very good example of a vintage brit cafe,very Black Shadowy. I especially like the seat and the fact that you used the chrome fenders. The only advice I could offer, would be to add a fork brace,up grade the shocks, rear sets, and a 1/4 fairing, and ditch the center stand and if you don't carry a passenger the rear pegs, but that's just for my taste, it's great the way it is. It really makes me long for the misspent days of my youth.
    Fastmover
    "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
    lion". SHL
    78 XS1100e

Comment

Yep, would be perfect with a standard tank.
      Little cafe fairing wouldn't hurt either.
      Good job. Keep us posted.
      What is that pipe BTW?
      Last edited by jjwaller; 10-24-2009, 04:28 PM. Reason: Added question
      John
      Now: '78 XS1100E 750 FD Mod (Big Dog)
      '81 CB900C ( 10 Speed)
      '78 CB750F ( The F)
      '76 CB400F ( The Elf)
      New '82 Honda MB5 Ring Ding
      Then: '76 CB550K
      '78 CB750F
      '84 VF1100S
      And still Looking!

Comment

That pipe looks like a supertrapp.IMHO the best exhaust for an XS.I had one on my first Special.
        80 SG XS1100
        14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

I think the pipe is a 4 into 1 Kerker attached to a Supertrapp muffler. Was in a box of parts included with the bike. Threw them on because the original exhaust system was being held together with duck tape.

About the fenders. Like the look of the front so I will keep it whole. The rear one was chopped along with the inner plastic fairing to get both to fit under the seat. I also kept it because I realized it held the license plate bracket and lights and didn't want to try to mount that bracket somewhere else.

Things to do:

Replace spark plug wires
          Remove rear passenger pegs
          Rear sets (don't know, kinda pricey at $300 plus. need cheaper alternative)
          Lower gauges to flatten out the look
          Obtain shorter throttle and choke cables
          Exhaust wrap (now that I have stopped a few pesky lil oil leaks)
          Paint tank flat black, apply checkerboard stripe decal
          Air pods (maybe, don't want to mess with carbs if I can avoid it)

Ditch the center stand? I don't know about that, yes, big as hell but convenient to work on bike. Plus I like the fact that the exhaust system I installed did not require its removal so that both are functional. I guess the work around would be to set it up with stand pegs and use a portable stand? It certainly would improve the looks and make it more cafe like.

Fork brace why? Handling seems ok as it is. I will check this forum for posts on the topic.

When I initially bought this bike, I did it on a whim and didn't expect too much after the initial test ride. The more I work and ride on it the more I like it! This is a sleeper!

Thanks for the comments. Keep em coming!
          Last edited by keithwood87; 10-24-2009, 06:18 PM.

Comment

I think Raask is the only game in town for the rearsets for us. I've got a set coming from Sweden and should be here relatively soon. If you're interested I can post up a few photos after I get them installed so you can make a decision as to weather you want to do that or not.
            Ray

'79 XS1100 Special - An XS Odyssey <<-- Click it, you know you want to!
            '07 FJR1300

Comment

Definitely interested in the rear set pics. Post up when you get them installed. I haven't come across any decent XS1100 rear set posts to see how/where they are actually installed on the bike.

Comment

I can't find the other pics I had. Must have been on the pu'ter that died.

mro

Comment

Not sure why that did not work

Comment

one more time w/diff pic

Comment

Nice looking machine. The quarter fairing mentioned above
                      would probably help lower the profile of the guages for you.
                      JAT.

Skip
                      1979 XS1100SF
                      2005 VTX1800S3 ( Dailey ride)

Comment

Some of the guys have made their own rearsets, check with Dennyz, if he is still around, he may show you how or post pics.
                        Fastmover
                        "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
                        lion". SHL
                        78 XS1100e

Comment

Ok. I will try to find Dennyz

Comment

DO get the fork brace! You WILL notice the difference once it's installed. TKat has the brace for a special, and a little black paint and it just looks correct on the bike.

Hard to see in this pic, but there IS a TKat brace on my bike.
                            Last edited by Ken Talbot; 10-25-2009, 09:50 PM.
                            Ray Matteis
                            KE6NHG
                            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Ok. From what I've read and heard, the front fork brace is the way to go. Definitely on the to do list.

Comment

Working...
                              X