No announcement yet.

How do you store your bike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Rob, I'm hoping for one or two more nice Saturdays or Sundays to get out for another run or two.
    Originally posted by 79XS11F View Post
    Hey Paul, I was on the fence as well but I decided to get my bike storage and yard work all done and behind me along with prepping the lawn mower and snow thrower, the boat, the camper and other yard chores etc etc. Man the more motorized stuff I buy the less time I have to use them. Something always seems to need to be prepped for something or another. In any case if we should happen to have a real nice weekend come along I can roll out the 79 and fire her up for a run. Only the Kat is in "long term" storage.
    Rob
    Paul
    1983 XJ1100 Maxim
    1979 XS1100 Standard
    1980 XS1100 Special

I'm not a motorcycle mechanic but I play one on the internet.

Comment

Living here in NJ..we do get a winter...but I never do more than keeping the gastank full and the battery on trickle charge. The bike has always been garaged the majority of its life. Since I like winter rides when road and weather conditions are right...I have never really prepped the bike for winter.
      1980 XS650G Special-Two
      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I was talking to a lad at work this morning who lives in Quebec and he says that you can no longer use a motorcycles in Quebec in the winter months because of the new snow tire law. All bikes must be off the roads on the same date that snow tires must be in use on cars. Insurance outfits must love that eh.
        Rob
        KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
        1978 XS500E
        1979 XS1100F Restored
        1980 XS1100 SG
        1981 Suzuki GS1100
        1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
        1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

I was talking to a lad at work this morning who lives in Quebec and he says that you can no longer use a motorcycles in Quebec in the winter months because of the new snow tire law. All bikes must be off the roads on the same date that snow tires must be in use on cars. Insurance outfits must love that eh.
          Rob
          Wow! Now that's a nasty law! Are the roads in all of Quebec really always icy all winter? Can you put snow tires on a bike? What about Trikes or sidecars?
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

Just ANTOHER reason to get the heck out of Quebec. In thier inifinite self-centered world, they decided to make snow tires mandatory just at the start of winter last year, to hell with the rest of the country.

What they don't understand is that snow tires will make very little difference in the stats, and in fact, may make things worse for a few years as people think they can drive like it's summer on them.

The real difference will be in a tire sales....
            Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
            '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

I just add sta-bil every time I fill up in the winter months that way if its a few weeks before the street drys the gas is always good and its ready to ride. that being said I also always change oil and filter going into winter, plus gear oils and tire maintenance
              Alias Larry R in Kelso WA

When in dought, punch it.
              XS1100LG Precious current
              XS1100SF Ruby gone to a better home
              KZ900B MIA stolen (ALL bike thieves MUST GET OFF THE PLANET more politically correct ???)

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                Wow! Now that's a nasty law! Are the roads in all of Quebec really always icy all winter? Can you put snow tires on a bike? What about Trikes or sidecars?
                It applies to all vehicles used in the winter months in Quebec regardless of the road conditions. The new law came into force last fall. Being that there are no snow tires made for motorcycles, your just s**t out of luck.
                Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
                1978 XS500E
                1979 XS1100F Restored
                1980 XS1100 SG
                1981 Suzuki GS1100
                1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Originally posted by Crazcnuk View Post
                  Just ANTOHER reason to get the heck out of Quebec. In thier inifinite self-centered world, they decided to make snow tires mandatory just at the start of winter last year, to hell with the rest of the country.

What they don't understand is that snow tires will make very little difference in the stats, and in fact, may make things worse for a few years as people think they can drive like it's summer on them.

The real difference will be in a tire sales....
                  Yes tire sellers cleaned up big time last fall with shortages everywhere for the most common sizes. Rumor says the same rule will be in place in Ontario before long.
                  Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
                  1978 XS500E
                  1979 XS1100F Restored
                  1980 XS1100 SG
                  1981 Suzuki GS1100
                  1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

It applies to all vehicles used in the winter months in Quebec regardless of the road conditions. The new law came into force last fall. Being that there are no snow tires made for motorcycles, your just s**t out of luck.
                    Rob
                    Actually I think that tires typically used on dual sports are considered snow tires. That doesn't matter unless it's just that snow tires are required, in which case you might be able to go to a street legal offroad tire.
                    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                    Vetter Windjammer IV
                    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                    OEM Luggage Rack
                    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                    Spade Fuse Box
                    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                    750 FD Mod
                    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
                      Actually I think that tires typically used on dual sports are considered snow tires. That doesn't matter unless it's just that snow tires are required, in which case you might be able to go to a street legal offroad tire.
                      The snow tires needed have to have a certain mountain looking insignia on them or they will not be accepted. I doubt that dual sports have it although I could be corrected.
                      I run all seasons on my car in the summer and change to studded winter tires for winter. I love the difference in handling and would not be without em, now that I have used them. Yes, Craz is right, some people just drive stupid with them on, but when ya need em what a difference.
                      2-79 XS1100 SF
                      2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                      80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                      Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

"but when ya need em what a difference"

Problem is, you never NEED them. I've driven on All-season tires for over 30 years, without an issue. However, I too, run snow/ice tires (last couple years), as they ARE better in icy conditions.

It's all in how you drive, and legislating things like snow tires is not going to help the accident situation. Those of us that drive properly will be ok, and those that don't will not.

The biggest issue for winter driving is.... YOU HAVE TO DRIVE IN IT!

Many, many people refuse to drive in adverse conditions, unless they have no choice, then they don't know how to drive in it. I, personally, look for the worst driving conditions, as I think they are the most fun.

'05 ST1300

Comment

I agree with ya Craz. Last yr my wife almost ran over a kid. Only missed him by inches. I hate to think what may have happened in the same situation with all seasons on. That is a case of needing them.
                          2-79 XS1100 SF
                          2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                          80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                          Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

This past weekend the 1100 got parked for the winter..took the seat off, pulled the battery and covered her up with a tarp out on a concrete slab in the back yard. Whatever gas is in it will sit till Spring as will the dirty oil. I usually change oil once before starting and once again a couple days later. My XS750 has a big Windjammer fairing on it, so it gets ridden on the nice days in Winter. When our annual fog season gets underway, I fire up the 73 Pinto and hope for the best.
                            'twas ever thus

76 Triple
                            79 Eleven SF
                            02 FZ1

Comment

"That is a case of needing them"

Not really. It was a case of 'lucky', either your wife or the kid (or both).

He could have popped out at 1', 10', 100' or whatever.

This is the arguement that cops use to 'prove' speed limits. "If a deer pops out at X #of feet, you couldn't stop if you're speeding". The problem is, nothing pops out at X feet.

Officials just hate 'coincidence' or 'non-controllable incident'.

'05 ST1300

Comment

Storage? Winter? Central Texass has NO winter. Geez, end of October and its going to be in the 80's this weekend. But, even during the cold winters of Albuquerque, I would ride year round (not in snow or ice conditions unless I was caught in them). Full fairing and lowers, really good gloves, ski bibs and thick leather jacket helped.

As for Seafoam and Sta-Bil, nectar of the gods for stored engines. I run a 25%Seafoam, 25%Stabil and 50% gas concoction thru my boat motor till I can't stand the smoke anymore. Put 'nuff Sta-Bil in the 45 gal fuel tank and cover 'er up. Fires off every season (same smoke for a while) when I pull it out of storage. All the lawn equipment gets a big shot of Sta-Bil at the end of the season to.
                                When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Working...
                                X