Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you store your bike?

The season is done for me :-(
    With overnight lows approaching and or below 0 almost every night and daytime highs rarely hitting 10 I will prep the bikes for winter storage today and over the coming week. The weather combined with the number of chores that should or must to be done around the house & yard makes it an easy decision for me this year. It RAINED so much this past summer that almost every outdoor job that was planned didn’t even get started.
    I did however manage to put more miles on my bike then it has seen since I decided to buy it 3 years or so ago. That was of course because I made the trip to the rally in Vermont which was the highlight of this biking season.
    With both bikes running the only question I have to ask myself is if I should store the bikes DRY this season or just add fuel stabilizer and fire them up every month.
    How do you store your bike?
    Just park it and deal with any issues next season.
    1.89%
    Store it tuned, prepped and covered for storage completely DRY.
    3.77%
    Store it tuned, prepped and covered for storage completely WET.
    22.64%
    No storage, it will be worked over the winter.
    35.85%
    None of the above, I do something different.
    35.85%
    Last edited by 79XS11F; 10-18-2009, 09:48 AM.
    KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
    1978 XS500E
    1979 XS1100F Restored
    1980 XS1100 SG
    1981 Suzuki GS1100
    1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
    1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Storage, I ride mine just about year round! What does snow look like??? I live in a totally different climate called Texas, but I have had my 67 Firebird stored in my garage for about 2-1/2 years with just Seafoam in the gas and start it up every couple months.
    http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

Every yr I have had this bike , I have simply closed the petcocks and run it till there was no fuel in the carbs. Charged the battery and that was it. That worked well for me for many yrs.
      Last yr I decided to put Seafoam in the gas for the winter. I did not start it and it spent roughly half the winter in my heated garage. Never had a garage before either. This spring I went to fire it up and come to find I had gummed up carbs. That was the first time I ever had to pull carbs and clean them.
      Now I aint blaming Seafoam nor my negligence in not starting it, but I do think that those factors combined with the ethanol in our gas was it.
      From now on I will do as before and run the carbs dry. No way they can gum up that way. I have always charged the battery and checked fluid levels and had the fuel tank full. Full tank equals no rust. This is what has worked for me.
      2-79 XS1100 SF
      2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
      80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
      Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by Montreux_Blue View Post
        Storage, I ride mine just about year round! What does snow look like??? I live in a totally different climate called Texas, but I have had my 67 Firebird stored in my garage for about 2-1/2 years with just Seafoam in the gas and start it up every couple months.
        So you "do something different". Us lads in the more northern areas envy these who can use their bikes and other recreational toys year round.
        Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
        1978 XS500E
        1979 XS1100F Restored
        1980 XS1100 SG
        1981 Suzuki GS1100
        1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
          Every yr I have had this bike , I have simply closed the petcocks and run it till there was no fuel in the carbs. Charged the battery and that was it. That worked well for me for many yrs.
          Last yr I decided to put Seafoam in the gas for the winter. I did not start it and it spent roughly half the winter in my heated garage. Never had a garage before either. This spring I went to fire it up and come to find I had gummed up carbs. That was the first time I ever had to pull carbs and clean them.
          Now I aint blaming Seafoam nor my negligence in not starting it, but I do think that those factors combined with the ethanol in our gas was it.
          From now on I will do as before and run the carbs dry. No way they can gum up that way. I have always charged the battery and checked fluid levels and had the fuel tank full. Full tank equals no rust. This is what has worked for me.
          Perhaps the Sea Foam cleaned your carbs for you over the first storage season that you used it? Did they clean up easy after being soaked that long with Sea Foam in them?
          Rob
          Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
          1978 XS500E
          1979 XS1100F Restored
          1980 XS1100 SG
          1981 Suzuki GS1100
          1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

I had run quite a few tanks of fuel with Seafoam in it before parking the bike. So I don't think they were all that dirty before. I had read on here the wonderous things seafoam would do so I tried it out.
            The carbs were easy to clean out as mostly I just had to clean the idle circuit.
            Then I decided to put on pods and do some other things and the whole carb cleaning became rejetting and synching and all kinds of new experiences. I was scared of those carbs for many yrs and now I am fairly comfortable with them. So all in all it was a good thing.
            2-79 XS1100 SF
            2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
            80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
            Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

sun diego

well the only time I dont ride is when it rains , and here in socal it usually less then 5 days in a row
              91 kwaka kz1000p
              Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

- add stabilizer to gas tank
                - fill gas tank
                - remove seat for indoor storage
                - run engine long enough to warm oil
                - dump old oil and filter element
                - install fresh filter element
                - fill with fresh oil
                - remove sparkplugs
                - squirt a bit of oil in each cylinder
                - cover plug holes with rag
                - spin motor just long enough to turn out oil pressure light
                - reinstall sparkplugs
                - remove battery for storage in basement
                - unbolt rear of gas tank
                - prop up rear of gas tank with 2x4 block
                - disconnect fuel lines from petcocks (Standard)
                - insert golf tee into open end of each fuel line
                - use gas tank overflow hose to connect petcocks to each other
                - leave tank on bike, sitting on 2x4 block
                - remove and clean air filter element
                - reinstall air filter element
                - check tire air pressure
                - clean up worst of end of season road grime
                - roll bike to winter resting place in end of enclosed carport
                - no cover on bike

YMMV...
                Ken Talbot

Comment

I drain the tank & carbs, swirl a half-cup of stroker oil round the inside of the tank, hook up the battery to a small charger on a 1 hour every day timer and shove the rig into the far corner of my heated garage until the snow melts.
                  If I were stuck with keeping the rig outside all winter I would be far more rigorous.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

All I might do is pull is the battery. At temps getting down to -40C they have a tendency to freeze, if not fully charged. If the bike has NO electrical leaks, the battery will probably be ok, but not worth the risk.

Some years I have been able to ride enough, during the winter that the battery never comes out.

We've been hitting -5 to -10 overnight, here, lately, but I had the bike out Friday. Was going to take a 400km round trip saturday, but it decided to rain.
                    Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                    '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

I was able to take the bike out at least on day per month last year during the winter her in KC. Didn't do anything for storage. Hoping to get as lucky this year.
                      Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
                      '82 XJ1100
                      '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

I have some upgrades planned for this winter. These include the 2 quad piston front calipers and the hydraulic clutch conversion. I'd like to install a set of MikesXS green coils if business isn't too bad over the winter but I'm not holding my breath on this one...

I haven't made my mind up if I'm going to install the XS850 final drive but I will be doing a full service, installing the SOFA and maybe a cheap black paint job so at least the tank, side covers and tail section will match...

Geezer
                        Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Living in CA I consider it riding weather everyday. Yes is gets up to 112 in summer and 30 in winter. Lots of rain and too much fog. But I will ride everyday.
                          Currently my bikes are non-oped and have no insurance as money is tight. But.
                          Wife blew-up my pick-up so I have to ride my E (the one I ran over). Tags are expired on that so the plate from the LG is on the E.
                          The LG is in the shed under it's cover. The E is outside under it's cover at home or work.
                          Sadly work keeps me away from home to where I can't easily do the work needed while either bike is down.
                          Pat Kelly
                          <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                          1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                          2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                          1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                          1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                          1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

I put stabilizer in the tank full of gas. Clean up the bike and wax. Drain the oil and put in fresh. Park it in my shop with a cover and pull the battery to store in the basement over winter.

Deny
                            1978 XS1100E - The TimeMachine
                            1980 XS850 Special - Little Mo

Comment

Storage,who stores them?? Actually, I do put stabilizer int he fuel, but in between upgrades and working on wha tmigh tbe ailing her, I ride the machine every chance I get. 24 deg F is a bit to cold, but 38 and above I can bundle up enough to get a few miles in.
                              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                              93 GSX600F
                              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                              81 XS1100 Special
                              81 CB750 C
                              80 CB750 C
                              78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                              X