No announcement yet.

How do you store your bike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What makes it tolerable (if not actually pleasant) to ride in winter is the huge Pacifico fairing (with lowers). My feet are behind the alt and timing covers (warm) and the fairing lowers keep the warm engine air directed to my legs. The Fairing and windshield deflect nearly all the cold air, enough that the helmet vents don't get sufficient airflow to dissapate faceshield fogging. The only part I can't seem to keep warm is my thumbs. I'm sure "Hippo hands" would cure that but haven't bought them (yet).
    Pat Kelly
    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

The modding never stops and winter is when I try to do it. Plus, the coast allows for a few decent riding days during the winter.

This winter, I think I will get a gasket kit and stop the oil leaks. Maybe even go for paint.
      '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

I rode all winter last year, and I intend to spend most of this winter riding too. It's one of the few good things about Kalifornia.
        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
        Vetter Windjammer IV
        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
        OEM Luggage Rack
        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
        Spade Fuse Box
        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
        750 FD Mod
        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

I just cover her up with a blanket when it drops below 60F here at night in the winter months.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

i ride all winter! heated grips and ski bibbs!
            " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
            xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
            8mm msd wires
            tkat fork brace...
            Fox shocks...
            mikes650 front fender
            led's gallore...
            renthal bars
            gold valve emulators
            vmax tensioner
            Rifle fairing

Comment

no winter to worry about....ride all year long so no storage worries.. AHHH those loverly tropics...
              '81 XS1100R
              4-2-1 exhaust Tranzac (Current)
              Everything else stock (as far as I know)
              Previous:
              Honda scrambler horse( had to start somewhere)
              Yamaha DT175
              Yamaha XT250
              Yamaha TT500
              Suzuki DR250
              Yamaha XVS1100
              Honda 750/4 K (basket case, current)

Comment

I'm still on the fence as to whether I get them ready for storage or keep the heat on in the garage and putter with some small winter projects I have in mind. Now that Mrs. BG has a hot tub, keeping both heated all winter might cut into my "bike stuff" budget.
                Paul
                1983 XJ1100 Maxim
                1979 XS1100 Standard
                1980 XS1100 Special

I'm not a motorcycle mechanic but I play one on the internet.

Comment

The past couple of winters, I've used stabil in a full tank, pulled the battery and kept it on a trickle charger. No problems each spring. This winter, though, I'll be pulling the motor to install a new starter clutch so it'll be a 'dry storage'

Comment

Storage??

Winter? What winter? We have no winter in South La. I do keep my bikes in a controlled enviroment though.
                    78 XS1100E Standard
                    Coca Cola Red
                    Hooker Headers

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00580.jpg

1979 XS1100 Special
                    http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00612.jpg

1980 XS Standard
                    http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC01137.jpg

2006 Roadstar Warrior
                    http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...um/warrior.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by randy View Post
                      The past couple of winters, I've used stabil in a full tank, pulled the battery and kept it on a trickle charger. No problems each spring. This winter, though, I'll be pulling the motor to install a new starter clutch so it'll be a 'dry storage'
                      Sounds like a kitchen table project Randy!
                      Paul
                      1983 XJ1100 Maxim
                      1979 XS1100 Standard
                      1980 XS1100 Special

I'm not a motorcycle mechanic but I play one on the internet.

Comment

Yup, and with no SWMBO in house no everday cleanup sweet

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                          Storage,who stores them?? Actually, I do put stabilizer int he fuel, but in between upgrades and working on wha tmigh tbe ailing her, I ride the machine every chance I get. 24 deg F is a bit to cold, but 38 and above I can bundle up enough to get a few miles in.
                          I'm with you! As long as the roads aren't icy, I'll be riding. I just changed the oil to a lower viscosity for the winter months, but that is about all the "winterizing" I'll be doing.
                          1980 XS850SG - Sold
                          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                          -H. Ford

Comment

I don't know what I will be doing. When I had my Goldwing and my Hurricane I just parked them in the garage without doing anything to them and they always fired up and ran perfectly the next spring.

With this bike however, I am not planning on selling it. I want to keep it as long as I can ride. I love my XS and I am putting so much work into it that I will most likely baby it by my standards every winter.

I currently have it torn apart and am piecing it back together, but after it gets put back together I most likely will dump seafoam into the gas tank, run it awhile, and then drain the carbs. I will put new gear and engine oil in it since I drained everything to take the engine out. I obviously will grease all the inserts and gears since it is apart as well.

Next winter I will most likely just run the seafoam and drain the carbs and then park it. Then before I start riding it in the spring change the oil and go over the gears and inserts with grease. That is how I usually do it.
                            1980 XS1100SG
                            1998 KLR 650

Comment

Originally posted by blue giant View Post
                              I'm still on the fence as to whether I get them ready for storage or keep the heat on in the garage and putter with some small winter projects I have in mind. Now that Mrs. BG has a hot tub, keeping both heated all winter might cut into my "bike stuff" budget.
                              Hey Paul, I was on the fence as well but I decided to get my bike storage and yard work all done and behind me along with prepping the lawn mower and snow thrower, the boat, the camper and other yard chores etc etc. Man the more motorized stuff I buy the less time I have to use them. Something always seems to need to be prepped for something or another. In any case if we should happen to have a real nice weekend come along I can roll out the 79 and fire her up for a run. Only the Kat is in "long term" storage.
                              Rob
                              KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                              1978 XS500E
                              1979 XS1100F Restored
                              1980 XS1100 SG
                              1981 Suzuki GS1100
                              1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                              1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

On any bikes I've ever owned, I let em sit in a cold garage, no seafoam, no trickle charger, no heat, no preppy preping , just start em up once in a while and in the spring they are just fine. Never had a problem. If it ain't living it don't need heat.
                                Last edited by mstic2000; 10-20-2009, 04:14 AM.
                                My 1978 http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/mstic2000/xs.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X