No announcement yet.

A project Begins....Picture intensive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yea, I still need to clean the tank out first. Been borrowing tank and battery from Thunderstruck to get Banshee power and go juice. Rebuilt the petcocks tonight and painted the rear fender, even got it installed.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Well, got a few more pieces in and installed and cleaned up some others. Main engine still needs a good cleaning, but most of the covers are looking ALOT better.

It was a B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L day out today. So I decided to work on the driveway instead of the garage. Rolled both bikes out. Waiting on petcock rebuild kits for Thunderstruck and to clear out the float bowls. Had to run on reserve during my ride last weekend and got some dirt in there causing the floats to stick

Anyway, here is some update pics of the Banshee. Everything you see minus the tank is the either added pieces bought for this bike or the original pieces form this bike. The tank for Banshee is in mid cleaning process.

I think the exhuast detracts from the bike, but I am still looking for a replacement. However this one does work. Still, a substantial improvement from when I got her home I think!!

The headlight and turn signals are pristine and the brackets are just as nice. Only thing missing here is the bracket to aim the headlight that mounts to the triple tree.

The original tank has a busted up emblem on this side of the bike, and I am still missing the side cover for the left side. I just missed it on Ebay, it ended 1 minute after the right side ended and I did not get my bid in on it.

The back of the bike has a new color scheme. I chose to leave the license plate light itself chrome but painted the bracket and the rear fender black. Its rattle can paint and has a bit of the eggshell look, but a decent 15 footer IMO.

This view just looked nice so I snapped it.

And now the coup-de-gra, Since I was on the driveway and had the tank mounted, I went ahead and put the gas to the carbs, and transplanted the battery from Thunderstruck and got the beast roarin!! Even took a test ride!!! Short one, since I have no rear brakes as I am waiting on PNM to get the rear pads in. But got it warmed up and set the idle, then took this video to share how she runs. Not bad for no synch and no real tuning, just bread tie synch and 1-3/4 turns on the mix screws.

Banshee Lives
      Last edited by DGXSER; 11-28-2009, 05:47 PM.

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Sounds good.It's lookin a lot better too.
        Can you just steel wool the headers?They don't look that bad from here.
        You could also just heat paint them.
        I like the fenders with color rather trhan chrome too
        80 SG XS1100
        14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Thanks Rick, I do like the color for the fenders on this one. It was never intended to be a restoration as such, but I do like the stock components I have put back on it so far. I am almost thinking more of the streetfighter look with maybe some lower bars and perhaps painting the main engine area black. Leaving the covers to be polished.

The issue with the exhaust is that no2 header has a large dent in it at the bottom bend (like 1/3 the pipe is indented) and has a tear at the crease of the dent. Also that open exhaust is VERY loud for my taste and that of some of my locals that stared as I rode past a few times while sorting out the front end alignment. I would be happy with it if I could get the baffles for it and replace the no 2 header.

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

Wow, Don!

You've come a long ways in a pretty short time span!
            Major progress.
            Major accomplishment, getting her to start, idle, & rap like that!
            I figured it wouldn't be long and that one would be the envy of the block, just like the rest of your stable...
            Excellent work.
            '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
            "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Thanks very much Bob!! Appreciate the cudos! Many hours have gone into it, as SWMBO will tell you...or me...or anyone!

There is some cosmetic stuff to do, but for the most part the mechanical stuff is about done. Need to get the front brakes to bleed our better, and get the back brakes completed. I'm waiting to spend much time tuning until I finalize on an exhaust.

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

Even though snow is still laying around a week after the last meaningfull snowfall....here is the latest on the project.

I got side covers for it, a different exhaust, Kerker 4-2 system. Cleaned up the engine a bit, needs some pressure washing though. Had the tank painted, then it needed more cleaning so I performed the electrolisys cleaning which exposed pinholes that leaked, so back to cleaning and this time sealing the tank which the cleaning stuff ruined the paint , so I am back to needing to paint the tank.

Anyway, here are some before after shots to compare.

From the front, I am investigating seat options, not fond of leaving the king/queen on it.

Pictures say it all. The removal of the back rest cargo frame is the biggest change form here I suppose.

This one looks almost night a dn day from a hodge podge POS to a decent looking machine IMO.

What do you know, no exposed twisted up wires!!

Yeah, I know it is NOT a MNS, but when those are the side covers you get, those are the ones you use! Now to get more warm weather and tune this beast.

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

Rub some of that brake fluid on the fender and let it sit a bit. It won't hurt the chrome, but it will take care of that paint overspray.

Tod
                  Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                  '06 Suzuki DR650
                  *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                  '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                  '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                  '81 XS1100 Special
                  '81 YZ250
                  '80 XS850 Special
                  '80 XR100
                  *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Looking good! Except for the MNS side covers, anyway... Is there a reason you repositioned the horns? They kinda look like Dumbo ears now..
                    1980 XS850SG - Sold
                    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                    -H. Ford

Comment

Tod, The black paint on the fenders in the "after" pictures is not overspray, they were intentionally painted black. The chrome was really pitted and the front fender had a deep dent and scratches so I just painted them.

Bug, That is actually the stock location for the horns. Steppenwolf was kind enough to provide the factory horn bracket off his 80 special to aid in the renovation project. As to the MNS side covers, yeah, well, if you got SH side covers you want to trade for them....

I actually have a right side SH cover in pristine condition, the emblem gold has flaked off substantially, but paint can cure that easily. I have another SH or MNS side cover with no emblem or holes with a small amount of damage at the mounting hole that I plan to try the superglue and baking soda repair on.

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

Bike looks good, DG. I've never seen 4-2 Kerkers before.
                        2H7 (79)
                        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Thanks Phil! I had not either, they seem to be for a standard though. No way was the hanger bracket getting near mounting bolt on the foot peg braces. I had to make some custom brackets to mount it. I chose to make them from 1/8" plate, the angle grinder with a cutoff wheel became my best friend for forming those up.

Previously owned
                          93 GSX600F
                          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                          81 XS1100 Special
                          81 CB750 C
                          80 CB750 C
                          78 XS750

Comment

DGXSER, That muffler looks nice, I'd bet a set of jardine head pipes will fit right in that. Unless it's messed up I'd hold onto it. I'd be interested if you don't want it. I'm not real fond of the can on my bike.
                            79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
                            80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
                            80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
                            79 DT 100

Comment

Are you going to put the tank badges back on or black it all out?
                              Joe

78XS1100

Comment

man, you did a great job!!! what a transformation! i like the painted fenders too, btw.
                                1980 XS 1100 Special (working to be my daily ride)

Comment

Working...
                                X