Sharing a few new pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wa407mpp View Post
    You can also buy cam locks with the little flipper doors like car locks have built into the face cover, they run about $15.00 ea. but they are a better quality then standard hardware cam locks, or you can buy a protective cover which is spring loaded to snap closed when you remove the key and also have a rubber seal. Check with a lock shop and if you need more then one lock order them all keyed alike, and I think you can get either one in black.
    I may do that once I get all the parts and pieces I need. I still need to locate an XS Special mounting bracket for the Vetter hard bags. Then I can get the bags, and the left lower for the fairing. Then I'll have a real Vetter full bagger setup.

Keep your eyes out for a mounting bracket for me!!
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by XJOK2PLAY View Post
      But I'm w/ ya about needing something like a Rain-X product to bead the rain! I wonder if car wax would work?
      According to a Cessna forum, they suggest using Simonize Paste wax on airplane acrylic windshields. Haven't tried it, but I just might, if I can find it.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

One more thing, then I'm done for the night. If you get new locks get them with the key capturing feature, so they have to be locked before you can remove the key. Sometimes it will be an inconvenience, but it makes it harder to drive off without locking something and leaving it on the road somewhere.
        Fastmover
        "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
        lion". SHL
        78 XS1100e

Comment

You all may have seen this already. If your interested in cutting your windshield...

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23392
          '79 XS11 F
          Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
          Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
          GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Well, I finally have a Full Vetter Touring Package (minus the left lower for the fairing) on my MNS! It's been pieced together, and will be made to look prettier as time goes by, but I figured I'd share what it looks like at this point. I have the upper part of the Vetter luggage rack too, but I kinda like the rack I have on there, and the possibility of adding the sliding back-rest for longer trips. I know some people don't like the style of the touring package, but to me, it makes these bikes look bigger and meaner, and adds a lot of style to them.

I was thinking of trying to get a photo of it under the St. Louis Arch this weekend to submit for the calendar, so we'll see how that goes. I still need to replace my left sidecover, but the only one I can find is on ebay for over $150!

1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

Nice set-up there Catatonic! Also glad to to see you opted to NOT wack the windshield. Mine is 25" tall and has been that way forever plus thousands of miles. Figure if I'm gonna have the "barn-door", may as well have it all. Does NOT affect handling whatsoever and offers superb protection. Have had it 120+ and no effect, but the extra 4" knocked off two miles per gallon,37-39@70-75 to 35-37@ same speeds. Don't even check mileage anymore, don't really care as I ride it cause it's XSesive and turns heads being original Venturer1100. With the tall-tall shield wife gets no buffeting either..........a happy passenger is a happy ride, although she likes riding pillion on the ST better. That works too, leaves me to play a little on the XS like I used to eons ago.
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Bug,

It looks really good! Nice bike.

I noticed you have the vents in the fairing windshield... I need to get that done to mine.

Cycle Sound system looks good. I thought about that, but decided to go with a little Mp3 player and earbuds... works great, I hear only what I choose, and only I hear it... it's a little Sansa player I got at WalMart for $50.

Ohh, one thing I've noticed is the top heavyness... between the tall shield and the trunk, it can fool you. Most of the time, I don't even notice it, feels great. But a few times, usually at low speed, like taking off from a gas stop, and turning to the right to pull out on the highway... it's tried to dump over to the right on me all of a sudden! Kinda puts a guys' heart in his mouth, ya know?
                I do carry some weight in the side bags as well, (tools, oil, etc...) but I try to keep it balanced.
                You might be on the lookout for that, since your setup's exactly like mine.

Say, are you thinking about going to Talimena?

If so, might give us a chance to finally meet!

Thanks for the pics. Good looking MNS.
                Last edited by XJOK2PLAY; 08-25-2009, 02:57 PM.
                '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

I know there is the issue of rain obscuring the view with the windshield that tall, but so far, I haven't had a problem with that. A little drizzle is all I've gotten, and it just blows over the top, and seems to keep things clear enough. I love the protection of the fairing, and the extra storage is nice too. I keep my rainsuit, plexus and glucose tablets in there for emergencies! It's still a work in progress, and my wish list continues to grow, but I can only afford so much at a time.

Things I want to add/do in the future:
                  Left Sidecover
                  XJ alternator
                  Replace Alternator cover (road rash)
                  Crash guards (black)
                  Re-paint luggage sidecovers
                  Re-paint engine
                  re-finish the fuel tank (a few dents and cracked paint)
                  re-gold all the gold parts
                  Gold trim the fairing/bags
                  1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

Less Drag??

Suh-Weet!

So You might be the one who bid on and got those vetter bags I was lusting after. Nice to see that they bolted on and look right.

If you are gonna part with your old leather bags just lemme know. They looked good and did the job.

I bet your setup has a nice slipstream. Dang! Where's a wind tunnel when you need one?!

Comment

I'm not gonna make it to Talimena this year. I am hoping to make it to MOTM next year though.

I actually got the bags from a CL add in Kansas City. A friend of mine was in the area and picked it all up for me. I got a trunk with it (all for $50), but it takes a different key from the bags, and it's $18.50 to get a key made. So, until I have an extra $18.50, I'll stick with the trunk I already had. I got the bracket from xs11lover via ebay (he was selling one set WITH bags, and one without). My old bags are available if you want them, but I burnt a hole through the bottom of the left one on my way back from Kansas City. I had a 2-liter of soda in there, and it sat right on the tip of the muffler. Got kinda crispy around the hole too.

The vents in the windshield are over-rated if you ask me. They are so small, I don't see that they do much. Vetter sells new windshields with vents in them already. He sells replacement vents, but they are bigger than the originals, so I would have to drill out the holes. Not worth it for me.

I like the cyclesounds. I have a hard time with the idea of wearing earbuds under my helmet. I'm more of a radio listener anyway, and I only listen to one station, so it works for me. Eventually, I'd like to get a newer radio, and a set of Bluetooth helmets so I can listen to music from my phone on longer trips though.

As I heard from someone else, SWMBO can't ride with the saddle bags on the bike. They are too far forward for her legs to be comfortable. The trunk does make a nice back-rest for her though. I haven't noticed a top-heavy feeling with the luggage any more than I had without it. Of course, I keep them mostly empty unless I'm actually using them for something.

I love this adventure. It's neat to look back on the original pictures of my naked bike, and remember all the stuff I've done to it.
                      1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

Objects in motion tend to remain in motion

Ok. I saw those bags with and without trunk also. What you have says "ride me in the wind" just as well.

I've been looking for a set of bags to put my disc golf gear in. PM me and then you shouldn't have to worry about the cost of new keys or locks. My only concern is just how much repair the one bag will need. They're leather so I guess they can be fixed.

Good to see the before-during-after of the transformation. You know, from practically naked to "Give me a continent and gas money". I was headed that way but had a few glitches.

Keep the momentum!

Comment

Working...
                        X