Sharing a few new pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharing a few new pictures

I am taking this opportunity to thank two members here. TC, for the fuse block upgrade, and EricHa for the new fairing! Thanks, guys! I just love this site!!

I picked up the fairing from Eric this morning and finally made it home this afternoon. Took a trip to Home Depot for some mounting bolts, and used the "how to install a used Vetter Fairing" tech tip to get all the wiring done in the first try! The radio works (haven't tried puting a tape in there yet), but I had to drill the lock out of the right side tonneau cover. Vetter says that's the only thing to do if you don't have the keys. Evidently the lock sets are easy to find/replace at any locksmith. The windshield is a LOT higher than the Plexistar windshield that I had purchased already. I have not ridden the bike yet to see how it handles, or how it feels in the wind, but I have a feeling I'm really gonna like it.

Thanks again guys!!
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Catatonic,

That is one sweet looking midnight! I know you have done alot to get it going. Looks like you took alot of care in the work. Congrats on a sweet lookin ride.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

That midnight looks awesome. The original gold parts look awesome. If mine looked half as good as yours I'd keep the gold on mine, but unfortunately it's in bad shape so I'm going to change everything over to chrome or silver.
      '81 XS1100LH (almost ready)

Previous ride:
      '86 VF500F
      '82 XJ650J Maxim

"That which doesn't kill you most likely will the second time." -Eugene Krabs-

Comment

Originally posted by BlackD1114 View Post
        I'm going to change everything over to chrome or silver.
        That saddens me immensely... I think it's important to keep the uniqueness of the MNS alive. I know the parts are hard to find, but they are out there.

I think the pictures make my bike look a lot nicer than it actually is. The headers are pitted, the tank has a couple dents, and even some chipped paint from one of them. The rear fender is smushed in from behind, and the seat has a rip in it. That's just the big things. The gold parts are not horrible, but not perfect either. I just like how it's unique and the gold really makes it stand out from the crowd (not that there is a crowd of XS's where I live). Eventually, I'd like to find a gold trim strip for the fairing (found a silver one online, along with a supplier for new soft tonneau covers), and do something to change the headlight ring from chrome to gold or black. I was looking for a replacement lock for the tonneau cover, and found a possible one made out of polished brass at Lowes. We'll see on that one.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
          That saddens me immensely... I think it's important to keep the uniqueness of the MNS alive. I know the parts are hard to find, but they are out there.
          I think it's important to keep the MNS alive in a sense. I shouldn't have said that I'm going to change everything. I plan on at least changing the grab bar and possibly the headlight ring. The gold is flaking off of the grab bar pretty badly and since I changed out the turn signals with chrome after markets ones, the headlight ring looks out of place. I will always keep the gold wheels and I plan on restoring the MNS badges. The air box will probably end up getting changed out for pods but the rest of the lower gold will most likely stay.

Previous ride:
          '86 VF500F
          '82 XJ650J Maxim

Comment

Sorry.. That was just the purist in me coming out. To each his own. I just prefer the stock setup. I know the MNS never came with a touring package, so that's a battle I'm having with myself. I justify it by looking at Bob Jones' bike.

Thanks fo the kudos on my bike too. It's been a lot of work so far, and it seems like it will never end. If only I had the money to pour into it. Then again, that would mean all my projects would be finished, and I wouldn't have anything more to tinker with!
            1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

Sorry.. That was just the purist in me coming out. To each his own. I just prefer the stock setup. I know the MNS never came with a touring package, so that's a battle I'm having with myself. I justify it by looking at Bob Jones' bike.

Thanks fo the kudos on my bike too. It's been a lot of work so far, and it seems like it will never end. If only I had the money to pour into it. Then again, that would mean all my projects would be finished, and I wouldn't have anything more to tinker with!
              I totally understand being a purist when it come to a MNS. I just can't help myself when it comes to making a vehicle my own. My MNS has also been a ressurection project, so I guess I'm more happy about it running than what it looks like.

I can't wait to see some more pictures after you locate the rest of gold pieces. Now if you can find some factory bags and gold accent those too, you'd have a MNS tourer.

Previous ride:
              '86 VF500F
              '82 XJ650J Maxim

Comment

Originally posted by BlackD1114 View Post
                Now if you can find some factory bags and gold accent those too, you'd have a MNS tourer.
                That is my ultimate goal! As soon as I can find someone willing to give away a set of Vetter hard bags and matching trunk!
                1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

That is my ultimate goal! As soon as I can find someone willing to give away a set of Vetter hard bags and matching trunk!
                  I'm probably going to regret this, but look under goldwing bags, there is a set of vetter bags that look to be going really cheap on ebay.
                  Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                  Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                  Vetter Windjammer IV
                  Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                  OEM Luggage Rack
                  Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                  Spade Fuse Box
                  Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                  750 FD Mod
                  TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                  XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                  XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

You are going to like that fairing,I've had mine on for about 27 years and can't imagine riding without it, I have the extra tall windshield(I'm 6'3).In this picture I have the lowers on but they come off when it warms up. I don't have the radio...don't really want one.
                    Good looking bike,be carefull with the bags being that close to the pipes...

'80 XS1100 SG
                    Don't let the good times pass you by..grab all you can
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Z4cjUlIo4

Comment

Not sure what an "extra tall" windshield looks like, but this one is really tall (68cm from top to bottom on the glass). It goes over the top of my helmet. I'm 5'10" and I sit really low for my height. In fact, my wife is 5'5", and she sits taller that I do by a few inches. Anyway, I rode to church today, and it's amazing how little wind I get now! Almost NO wind noise, even at 70mph. It's gonna take some getting used to (especially at low speeds), having a windshield that doesn't turn with the handlebars, but I'm sure I'll be fine after a week or so.

My bags are actually about an inch above the pipes, and I check them regularly to make sure they aren't getting too hot. I have the right side lower, but the PO must've laid it down and killed the left lower, since there is a bit of road rash on the left side trim on the fairing, and I'm told the bike it came from actually had the timing cover worn through. So, I need to find a left lower, and the hard bags and trunk (along with a luggage rack), and I will eventually have a MNS tourer!
                      1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by STEPPENWOLF View Post
                        be carefull with the bags being that close to the pipes...
                        Speaking of which, Had a friend of mine put leather throw over bags like that on a Virago IIRC, been about 15 years ago now. He and his wife were riding from Cincinnati up to Cleveland area with their clothes in the bags. About half way their they had to pull over as the bags caught fire. At least the wife got to go shopping for all new wardrobe when they got to Cleveland area.
                        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                        93 GSX600F
                        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                        81 XS1100 Special
                        81 CB750 C
                        80 CB750 C
                        78 XS750

Comment

Not sure what an "extra tall" windshield looks like, but this one is really tall (68cm from top to bottom on the glass). It goes over the top of my helmet.
                          I just re-measured, and I must've mis-typed last night. I must have the "Tall" windshield too. It's just under 23 inches (58cm) tall. I've been reading, and realize that this is probably a bad thing. However, even the "Standard" windshield (21" tall) will probably still be too tall. Hmmm... Should I just Rain-X it, and hope for the best?
                          Last edited by CatatonicBug; 05-18-2009, 10:13 AM.
                          1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

I just re-measured, and I must've mis-read the tape last night. I must have the "Tall" windshield too. It's just under 23 inches tall. I've been reading, and realize that this is probably a bad thing. However, even the "Standard" windshield (21" tall) will probably still be too tall. Hmmm... Should I just Rain-X it, and hope for the best?
                            Check Craig Vetter's site, he tells how to cut the windshield down and how to size it to yourself. Basically you should always cut the windshield down to the proper size for you.
                            Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                            Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                            Vetter Windjammer IV
                            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                            OEM Luggage Rack
                            Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                            Spade Fuse Box
                            Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                            750 FD Mod
                            TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                            XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

I've been looking on Vetter's site, and all he mentions is that you want the top of the windshield 1" below the horizon, and that you can trim it. He doesn't mention HOW to do that. Can anyone link me to some instructions?
                              1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

Working...
                              X