Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The grossest thing ever on your scoot...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
    Wow.... I'm new to this biking stuff, and have only gotten about 800 miles under my belt. However, I've aleady been hit by enough bugs to know that I will never ride without my full-face and the visor down. These stories are really making me think about getting a windshield too!! Gross!!!
    Come on down to the Bob Jones Memorial Ride in two weeks. You could double that 800 miles in that weekend alone.
    Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
    '82 XJ1100
    '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfoot View Post
      Come on down to the Bob Jones Memorial Ride in two weeks. You could double that 800 miles in that weekend alone.
      Wish I could... Maybe after I earn a bit more experience. I just finished my MSF course yesterday, and traded in my permit for an official license today. Just the windy trip between my house and the MSF course was enough to convince me that a windshield will be needed before I commit to any long-distance trip. Maybe next year...
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

I understand completely. I love the looks of the bikes naked but it is so much nicer riding behind a windshield. I busted up the windshield on my vetter last year on the beginning of a trip and had to ride the rest of the weekend (800 miles or so) without one and it really sucked.
        Harry

'79 Standard
        '82 XJ1100
        '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

I busted up the windshield on my vetter last year on the beginning of a trip
          Wow!! Really?! What happened?

Maybe after I earn a bit more experience.
          You've got two weeks to get a windshield... and nothing is better experience than a long trip. You'll get to know the bike better and feel more comfortable on it so that it will be even easier for you around town with it.

Even if you don't make the rally, I still suggest a road trip for you.. or anyone else learning. Time in the saddle.. especially if you can follow an experienced rider.. is the quickest learning curve in my opinion.

If not the Bob Jones ride, then there's also the Talimena Rally in early October in Oklahoma to consider that's a little further.. but still a good meet.

Tod
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Trainzz, I am planning on going to the meeting of the minds down in texas in june, I'm pretty sure Ivan is to (not trying to put words in your mouth here Ivan) and a few others from this area. There would be no problem if you wanted to hook up with us and ride down.
            1980 XS11SG
            Dunlop elite 3's, progressive fork springs, tkat brace
            Stock motor, airbox, carbs, exhaust
            ratted out, mean, and nasty

Comment

I will also be going to Meeting of the Minds. I am planning on hooking up with Ivan on the way to Dallas. I am also hoping to catch Bob Falter on his way through KC. We could have a decent little convoy by the time we get there.
              Harry

'79 Standard
              '82 XJ1100
              '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                Wow!! Really?! What happened?

Tod
                Ummmm..... A samsonite bag jumped up and bit me.
                Harry

'79 Standard
                '82 XJ1100
                '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                  Wow.... I'm new to this biking stuff, and have only gotten about 800 miles under my belt. However, I've aleady been hit by enough bugs to know that I will never ride without my full-face and the visor down. These stories are really making me think about getting a windshield too!! Gross!!!
                  Chicken.
                  Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan View Post
                    Chicken.
                    I sure hope I never hit one of those! Even WITH a windshield!!
                    1980 XS850SG - Sold
                    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                    -H. Ford

Comment

I know someone who hit a turkey once, but he was in a pickup truck, does that count?
                      1980 XS11SG

Comment

Originally posted by BigDick View Post
                        I know someone who hit a turkey once, but he was in a pickup truck, does that count?
                        Hell, I was personally witness to someone killing a buzzard shortly after takeoff while on his XJ. I'll let him own up to it if he wants.
                        Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

I would have stopped, collected the buzzard, and had him stuffed and mounted as a "hood ornament" right on the front fender. Believe it or not I have a deer skull that I intend to use for that exact purpose one day. . . .
                          1980 XS11SG

Comment

I would have stopped, collected the buzzard, and had him stuffed and mounted as a "hood ornament"
                            1. They are a protected animal and you can't posess anything from them.. even feathers if they want to be jerks about it.

2. You've never been very close to one, of them have you? The most vile, nasty, rotted, maggot infested flesh is what they eat... and they smell just like what they eat.

Many times, as they are taking off while feeling threatened, they will disgorge their stomache contents.. leaving you a lovely aromatic gift on your vehicle. The one I thumped this last weekend on the bike.. thankfully.. didn't have enough time for that "OH SH!T" to register in his little brain before I stamped a SHOEI emblem into it.
                            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                            '06 Suzuki DR650
                            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                            '81 XS1100 Special
                            '81 YZ250
                            '80 XS850 Special
                            '80 XR100
                            *Crashed/Totalled, still own