Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about children riding on bike with you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
    Not to mention what happens when the towel gets caught in the wheel!
    That's not a towel, it's the guy's t-shirt! He shoulda just left it on!
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by egleaves View Post
      There are so many things wrong with that picture it's hard to decide where to start. I'm surprised they even bothered with the helmets.
      Maybe they are paying for health insurance and want to "get thier money's worth"?
      K. Johnson
      -1978 XS750SF - brought back from the dead with carb
      triple clean and boots
      -1982 XJ1100J - brought back from the dead by
      replacing motor after throwing #4 rod
      -1985 XJ750XN - shim job, oil change, ride. not bad for
      $500 including new rear tire.

Comment

Before I had my OWN kids, my dirt riding buddies had them and it always presented a problem on how to get them to hang on, even on a slow, casual ride down a power line road. Putting them in front of us was good, but they could not reach the handlebars to hang on. FAAALASSHHH!!!! While hanging around the garage after a day of riding, we were conversing about figureing a way to keep the kids from falling off and still maintaining control of the bikes when I spied a large toilet plunger in the corner of the garage next to some PVC pipe. The sawa started flying and in short order, I had fabricated a mini set of "handle bars", complete with grips out of the PVC and firmly attached it to the rubber portion of the plunger. Got it damp and stuck to the plastic desert tank on my DT400. Not too much wobble and seemed be firmly stuck. Loaded up one of the three year olds and gave it a try. He could hang on by himself and was surrounded by my arms and I could grip his legs with mine. We got a little more daring and lofted the front wheel off a couple of small jumps (back tire stayed on the ground), cool, it worked. We soon were blasting around, catching some front wheel loft on snap gear changes and even pulling off some power slides. Passenger and pilot very comfortable with the setup. We soon had 3 more sets built and stuck to the assorted DT's, RT's and XR's. Never had a bail off or crash and the kids loved being able to see what was going on. I used the same set of "handle bars" to give my daughter a ride on the XS when she was around three. She outgrew them and graduated to the tailgunner position but she always said she liked riding in front where she could see. By the time she was 5 and started school, she was an accomplished passenger. She enjoyed interstate rides as well as canyon carving events and was most likely the only 5 year old in her class to clear a C-note on the speedo. Riding your kids is a risk the adult has to evaluate, the kids have no idea of the inherent dangers and are always up for a ride. When I had my little cargo aboard, whether in the dirt or on the street, my caution level was at its max. She is 18 now and always talks about her "early" motorcyle years with much joy and what a good time it was. I was often blasted by non-riding adults about how dangerous it was to give rides to my kids, it was, it still is. Hell, she hurt herself worse on her bicycle than she ever did on a motorcycle. The only time I can ever remember her getting hurt on the bike is when she got hung up climbing off and fell.
        When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

That's right Pastor, glad you caught that.
          1980G Standard, Restored
          Kerker 4 - 1
          850 Rear End Mod
          2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
          Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
          Automatic CCT
          1980GH Special, Restored
          Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
          '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
          Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Eric,

I think they are wearing the helmets so no one can recognize them.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by prometheus578 View Post
              I just dunno what all the fuss is about, that child is protected almost as well as she was in her mother's womb.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I just dunno what all the fuss is about, that child is protected almost as well as she was in her mother's womb.
                The poor girl is so squished between the two, she almost is back in the womb.
                Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
                '82 XJ1100
                '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

I watched a documentary last night about some kid in India with a condition that makes his whole body covered with long thick hair. Poor kid looks like a warewolf. Anyway, his family took trips into town to see the doctor on a bike. They had the dad driving, the 10 y/o in front of him (almost on the gas tank) and the mom on the back in her long flowy Indian garb. I was just waiting for that poor little bike to collapse under them or grab the mom's clothes and spin her off like a top!

The thing was, this riding setup is normal there. lots of people there use bikes as their only form of transport, and they just all pile on until no more can fit.
                  1980 XS850SG - Sold
                  1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                  Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                  Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                  -H. Ford

Comment

Working...
                  X