Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about children riding on bike with you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about children riding on bike with you?

Hey folks,

Okay, I've given my grandkids rides on my bike, but they were early teenagers before I did, so they were big enough to hold on sitting pillion.

But I have a new grand nephew that will be about 2.5 y/o's, but a bit stout, already weighs 40 lbs, but isn't FAT/OBESE. I would like to be able to give him a little ride....IF he's not afraid of the thing after I start it up.

But I don't know if this would be too young/small to do so? Aside from finding a helmet that would fit, having him behind me wouldn't work, he wouldn't be able to see a thing!

So...having him on the seat in front was an idea I came up with, possibly even belting/strapping him to ME for extra security, aside from him holding onto my arms, vs. trying to hold onto the gastank.

I don't think a CARSEAT type device is required, but I may be wrong, having seen carseat type things on BICYCLES?

SO....would like to hear from others with solutions for how they were able to provide their small children a chance to ride on their XS!

No...Fred...I won't put a sidecar on it!!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Many years ago, prior to all the safety stuff we have and do now, my friend always rode his kids around the yard on his bikes with them sitting in front of him. Don't know that they were ever on it that young though.

This is the first bike I have owned since mine were born. They are 15 and 12 and my wife swears they will never be on it past the driveway if that. All I got for you.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

i have taken my kids for rides alot.
      When they were 3 - 5 they rode in front of me up and down the street. Sometimes to the store a mile away they would ride behind me (trunk and/or backrest).
      Now the youngest are 8 and 9. They can ride behind me all day. You just need to stop often and assess how tired they are. You don't want them falling asleep back there.
      Pat Kelly
      <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
      1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
      2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
      1999 Suburban (The Ship)
      1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
      1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

The rule in Texas is that they can sit pillon and their feet can reach the stock pegs, or they are too small/young.

That said, I've given rides around the block/such for smaller kids, sitting in front of me. I don't think I'd go further than that.
        CUAgain,
        Daniel Meyer
        Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
        Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

&quot;Always one to ruin other's fun...&quot;

In the event of some thing happening...
          If'in I was a two year old, I'd rather be thrown clear of the bike... than be strapped to some 6'7" doofus who, in all probability, is gonna use me as a cushion between him and the pavement.
          Also, I would figger... me being a two year old, and seeing how I only learned to walk a few months earlier... going on a motorcycle ride may be exciting... but five minutes later, when I'm watching Sponge Bob... I'll forget all about it.
          Regardless of what you may think... not going on a motorcycle ride won't cause me any great emotional scars... nothing that I won't get over in about ten minutes time.
          "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Kids and grandkids

I would absolutely ditch the car seat idea. If something did go wrong nobody wants to be attached to the bike.
            When my kids were younger I rode GW Aspencades, fully equiped with built in backrests, armrests and voice activated communication. My girls were 7 & 9 and loved to go for long rides with dad. My son was 3 and I would put him in front of me between my arms. He only got short, low speed rides round and round the neighbourhood. By the time he was 5 I bought us both dirt bikes. Watching him ride that thing caused me more tension than riding the kids around on my bike.
            Niether of my girls (30 & 32 now) will ride on a bike now and my grandkids (13 ,11 and 5) are not allowed to own dirt bikes or ride on a motorcycle. The reason given is their parents are afraid they wiil get hurt. I respect their decision.
            I really enjoyed taking my kids out for a ride but we all know it is a calculated risk. There is now a new law waiting to be approved in my province that no one under 14yrs. can ride on the back of a motorcycle. Enjoy while you can. Rick
            I May Be Crazy, But I Have A Good Time.

Northern Gypsy - 2010 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Daily rider

Comment

young one

I used to sit my young un in front of me and ride with him there when he was about 5 yrs old. He used to reach out and hold the grips etc. He had great fun and could see everything. He also would fall asleep on longer than 20 minute rides which made it difficult as I would have to prop him between my arms. Not so good for control. Looking back, it was maybe not so smart but it worked.
              Recently a co workers daughter came to our plant and was riding with her 4 yr old on her harley. She was trussed up in a back pack like thing that completely tied the kid to her. No way that kid was going to fall off without her mom in tow. I thought it was a wonderful idea, cept the poor kid could see nothing but her mothers back. That and as noted before who wants to be tied to an adult while tumbling in case of accident.
              I bought my son a bike when he was about 9 and he knows how to ride but he chooses not too now (10 yrs later). I guess riding him around when he was young did not influence him at all. So far anyways. I will get him on one of my 11's one of these days.
              2-79 XS1100 SF
              2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
              80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
              Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Back in the 1900's........Ok it was early 90's.My exwife daughter and I lived in Denver about a block away from Stapleton airport.My daugter was 4 I think.She loved to ride in front of me on the seat.We would ride around the airport,then stop and would watch the airplanes.
                80 SG XS1100
                14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

For me every child and their understanding of what to do and what not to do is different. It's a judgment call in every case. The starting point before even considering a ride is that their feet must be able to reach the passenger pegs with full weight bearing contact.
                  Rob
                  KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                  1978 XS500E
                  1979 XS1100F Restored
                  1980 XS1100 SG
                  1981 Suzuki GS1100
                  1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                  1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Hi TC,
                    a kid on the tank in front of you is OK for 1st gear down the driveway and there are harnesses for strapping children to the rider as they ride pillion but me, I'd say if they are too small to sit on the pillion with their feet on the pegs it's a no go. BTW, have you seen the pillion arrangements on modern sport bikes? They look designed for someone who is 4 foot tall and don't weigh much.
                    Of course, my answer is obvious. My neighbor borrowed my rig to bring his wife and daughter home from the maternity hospital when the baby was 5 days old.
                    Mind you, that was back when people had more sense, now baby is 46 years old.
                    Last edited by fredintoon; 02-01-2009, 12:03 AM.
                    Fred Hill, S'toon
                    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Just sit them on the front fender and bungee 'em to the forks.
                      XS1100SF
                      XS1100F

Comment

U.S. State laws

Surprisingly enough, only two states have restrictions on passenger age: In Hawaii they must be at least 7, and Washington State they must be at least 5.
                        It scares me to death to think about wiping out with a kid on the bike.
                        Tim Ripley - Gaithersburg, MD
                        1981 XS1100 Special "Spoiled Rotten" Just sold - currently bikeless!!
                        23mm float height
                        120 main jets
                        42.5 pilot jets
                        drilled stock airbox with K&N
                        Jardine 4 to 1 Exhaust
                        spade fusebox
                        1st and 2nd gear fix

Comment

Handy State Laws webpage

State motorcycle laws
                          Tim Ripley - Gaithersburg, MD
                          1981 XS1100 Special "Spoiled Rotten" Just sold - currently bikeless!!
                          23mm float height
                          120 main jets
                          42.5 pilot jets
                          drilled stock airbox with K&N
                          Jardine 4 to 1 Exhaust
                          spade fusebox
                          1st and 2nd gear fix

Comment

Hey folks,

Thanks for all the input! As has been stated, he may be a bit young still to try this, AND he's still afraid of the noise the vacuum cleaner makes! However, his father teased him with it, so it may not be the noise so much as just the vacuum itself! He enjoys riding the little electric train at the mall, and those little rides for $0.50, but I may indeed wait until he's more into his push bike or such before attempting to put him on Godzilla for a little "stroll" around the neighborhood!? I definitely would not be taking him out on the highway or any such speed until he was able to put his feet down, wear a proper helmet, etc.!
                            T.C.
                            T. C. Gresham
                            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                            History shows again and again,
                            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

one more bit of input, I gave my son rides on my 11 all the time. at first he put his feet on the chrome tubes that were around the hard saddlebags, then once i pulled them off (well hell, nothing for him to put his feet on now!) I bought some clamp on highway pegs and put them on the frame tubes where they were just high enough for him to reach perfectly. problem solved. (before my poor self was able to buy the pegs I had him wrap his legs around me, kinda like when carrying him piggyback, one of those not the best idea things)
                              1980 XS11SG
                              Dunlop elite 3's, progressive fork springs, tkat brace
                              Stock motor, airbox, carbs, exhaust
                              ratted out, mean, and nasty

Comment

Working...
                              X