Non motorcycle vacation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non motorcycle vacation

As much as I like motorcycles I take my vacations in the winter by train.This year I leave Cincinnati Oh @1:10 am on the 12th of February and arrive in Sacramento CA on the 14th @ 3:42pm..leave on the 16th @11:59pm...wanna do the CA train Museum..what else can I fit into my short stay(oh yeah the 16th is my 55th birthday)
    from there I go to PortlandOR and arrive @3:40pm on the 17th and leave on the 19th @ 4:45pm...what do I do in Portland..last time I was there they had an ice storm..I was lucky to get a cab from the train station to my motel.
    I know some of ya are from CA so any ideas? Short time frame I know but ya see some of this country by train that ya don't see from the road.........

Thanks............

Bill
    '80 XS1100 SG
    Don't let the good times pass you by..grab all you can
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Z4cjUlIo4

Bill,
    As you are going to the capital of our fair?!?!? state, there is a lot to see. Not much happening, but a lot to see.
    If you plan on getting a car, try going to highway 49, from highway 50 to I 80. You will go through some of the best country in that area, and all in about three hours. You can stop at Sutters Mill, and see the place gold was first discovered in California. There are two good wineries on 49, and a few extras so you have to look.
    If you don't want to drive, you can try going to "old Sacto" and get drunk with the rest of the rowdy folks, and our law makers! Another nice drive would be to Auburn, and maybe up 49 from there to Nevada City. Both have a nice "49er" look, and are ready to take your money in return for a few beads and trinkets..
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Thanks Diveray....Well after Arnold greets me and welcomes me I am going to the Railroad museum and then I wanna take a tour bus or two to get around..since they usually have a variety of tours I will take your advice and try to find one that travels around the country side and then a shorter one that kinda stays within the city limits.Had some nice tours in your state..
      LA..gotta see the stars homes..was very interesting,Frisco and San Diego the past few years but did rent a car in Albuquerque this past february cause no tours were in operation that time of the year.
      If ya see Amtrak rolling into town on 2/14 @3:42pm I will be in the car with face prints on the window!!!

Bill
      '80 XS1100 SG

Comment

Places to go in the West

You might want to short hop back to Reno by train and then rent something small and cheap to run down to Carson City. Lots of museum type stuff there and also a really nice train museum (just before the highway 50 turnoff to Lake Tahoe IIRC). Had a nice visit there two years ago and bought gifts for my B-I-L who is also a train buff. Truckee, which is where the train also stops (right downtown) is a great little town to wander around in. Lots of interesting shops. I didn't look at the calendar, but if it's midweek, it won't be overun by skiers. You'll be going through Truckee in daylight so press your face to a window on the right side of the train to get a panoramic shot of Truckee's main street. I'd live there if I could afford it. (Well, actually, I'd live a little further East, across the Nevada stateline.)

Have a good trip. I envy you. I love train travel, having grown up in a town that was a major maintenance center for three railroads. Almost everyman in town (and one woman that I knew of) worked for the railroads. My dad was a machinist for the B&O for 34 years.

Ralph

Comment

Thanks Ralph..time off the train is a little short and if I am late they leave without me:-) Truckee looks like a nice place to visit and spend too much...was east bound on the Zephyer two years ago and saw the town from my sleeper as we stopped for a few minutes.
          So you are from back east..dad worked on the B&O...had an uncle on the B&O and grandpa worked on the N&W in the '20-40's..thought I would too but it didn't happen but the railroad blood is in me..no matter where I go I always find something train related..

Ralph,can I ask what town ya grew up in? :-)
          '80 XS1100 SG

Comment

If you like Wine tasting there are a gob of fine wineries in Lodi. About a 35-40 min. drive south of old Sacramento. Might even be able to pick you up and act as the designated driver. Be my pleasure.
            The railroad museum is something to see. The big Cab Forward Southern Pacific engine is the last of its kind. It is one of the static display's inside the museum.

Rodger
            RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

I am originally from New Castle, PA (about 50 miles NW of Pittsburgh) home of Chuck Tanner (if you were ever a Pirate fan), twelve miles north of Beaver Falls (home of Joe Nameth), twenty miles north of Aliquippa (home of Dan Marino), fifteen miles north of Conway (home of the, then, largest railroad yards in the country.

My dad, as I said, worked for the B&O, as did my Uncle Joe, my other Uncle Joe worked for the Pittsburgh and Lake Erie. He transferred to Erie sometime in the thirties or forties. We used to drive up to visit him (his wife was from Ashtabula, OH). My Uncle Frank worked for the Pennsylvania RR in the car shops. My Uncle Patsy worked for the B&O. I remember every summer the B&O would have an employee picnic. We'd all load onto a train and go to some park somewhere (I was too young to absorb the geography) for a picnic and games. I remember excursion trains to Cleveland to watch the Indians and the Yankees. It was a good place to be in those days.

Ralph

Comment

Originally posted by latexeses View Post
                If you like Wine tasting there are a gob of fine wineries in Lodi. About a 35-40 min. drive south of old Sacramento. Might even be able to pick you up and act as the designated driver. Be my pleasure.
                The railroad museum is something to see. The big Cab Forward Southern Pacific engine is the last of its kind. It is one of the static display's inside the museum.

Rodger
                Thank you Rodger..if I were by my self I would take you up on the wine tasting..travelling companion...just say handicapped.
                They have a Cab forward!!!!!!!!!! Cool....only seen pictures....camera will be busy on that puppy..that made my day.Have ridden a few steam powered excurision trains here back east...Have been a train buff since the 60's...it's in the blood like motorcycles is in the blood...you understand it or ya don't.

Bill
                '80 XS1100 SG

Comment

Ralph...Railroad family:-)gotta admit don't know that much about PA,Been to Altoona,Horseshoe Curve and surrounding areas,cool you rember the picnics and other family gatherings and uncles...looks like I picked your brain from way back when:-)
                  Thanks for sharing..I like that kinda stuff...if ya have any pics to share I would like to see them........

Bill

Originally posted by REFFI View Post
                  I am originally from New Castle, PA (about 50 miles NW of Pittsburgh) home of Chuck Tanner (if you were ever a Pirate fan), twelve miles north of Beaver Falls (home of Joe Nameth), twenty miles north of Aliquippa (home of Dan Marino), fifteen miles north of Conway (home of the, then, largest railroad yards in the country.

My dad, as I said, worked for the B&O, as did my Uncle Joe, my other Uncle Joe worked for the Pittsburgh and Lake Erie. He transferred to Erie sometime in the thirties or forties. We used to drive up to visit him (his wife was from Ashtabula, OH). My Uncle Frank worked for the Pennsylvania RR in the car shops. My Uncle Patsy worked for the B&O. I remember every summer the B&O would have an employee picnic. We'd all load onto a train and go to some park somewhere (I was too young to absorb the geography) for a picnic and games. I remember excursion trains to Cleveland to watch the Indians and the Yankees. It was a good place to be in those days.

Ralph
                  '80 XS1100 SG

Comment

Have been a train buff since the 60's...it's in the blood like motorcycles is in the

My dad and mom came out to Ca. in 1950. My dad worked for General Mills (Sperry Flour) and worked in Stockton at the flour mill there and used to tell me stories of the big cab forwards when they came in hauling grain. Said his office looked out over the tracks where they dumped the grain. Said he never got any work done when the cab forwards came in.. He said they were alive when they sat there... breathing...groaning...lettin off steam.
                    Really would have been something to see.
                    Offer still stands if you change your mind..

Everything on hold...

Comment

Rodger..if train arrives on time on the 14th @ 3:42 pm we could have diner some where or on sunday have lunch and a tour of the city ..
                      my motel..
                      http://www.vfmii.com/exc/aspquery?co...2811&ids=40435
                      The train museum I could do on monday..The Spirit Of Sacramento is closed in the winter,Sutters Fort looks cool.....Central Pacific Passenger Station...let me talk this over with my travel companion and see what she wants to do..look for a pm...I do like traveling by trains

Bill
                      '80 XS1100 SG

Comment

train snowplow

Here is a little vid etc on a train snowplowing. Thought you train guys might like it.

http://videos.komando.com/2008/12/05/snow-train/
                        2-79 XS1100 SF
                        2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                        80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                        Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
                          Here is a little vid etc on a train snowplowing. Thought you train guys might like it.

http://videos.komando.com/2008/12/05/snow-train/

Yeah I saw that..I hope I don't have that problem..Last year the day before I left the Coast Starlte was cancelled due to a massive mudslide in Oregon and so had to completely redo my train ride at the last minute.Caught this plow in Trukee CA 2 years ago...spur of the moment shot.

They also take shot guns and shoot iceciles in the tunnels to break up the ice.Looking forward to the ride,from Denver over to Sacramento which is beautiful,mountains,rivers and deserts. Gonna shake a hand in Denver with a fellow Wolpacker,hope to meet Latexeses in Sacramento,a possible cuz in Portland and a wave by with a work related guy in Fargo ND.
                          West of Denver east bound,California Zephyer....
                          '80 XS1100 SG

Comment

Back about 1986 or so my wife and I took a winter Am-Trak trip over the Sierras to Reno. The snow was so deep then that the crossbar at the tops of the telephone poles were out of the snow about 6 inches. Phone wires disappeared into the snow. Was snowing on us both ways. Absolutely beautiful... And relaxing...

Everything on hold...

Comment

Originally posted by latexeses View Post
                              Back about 1986 or so my wife and I took a winter Am-Trak trip over the Sierras to Reno. The snow was so deep then that the crossbar at the tops of the telephone poles were out of the snow about 6 inches. Phone wires disappeared into the snow. Was snowing on us both ways. Absolutely beautiful... And relaxing...
                              Some mighty purdy country out thru there..near Donners Pass..

'80 XS1100 SG

Comment

Working...
                              X