The Best Pilot In The History Of Mankind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Gimli Glider"

I had the fortune of being on the 2nd leg (Ottawa to Edmonton) of the 767's inaugural flight in Canada. At the time, it was touted as being the most advanced and comfortable, commercial aircraft in existence and, as far as I'm concerned, it remained one of the premier aircraft right up until it was retired from duty. However, that not withstanding, had the 'Gimli Glider' incident happened prior to and not following my flight aboard the 767, I'm not so sure that I would have ever climbed on board.
    1980 XS11 LG (Diablo)
    1980 XS11 G (Bagger)
    1978 XS11 G (White Knight)
    1978 XS11 G (Skeleton)
    2016 SS (S.S. Flyer)

Comment

Pilot blinded by stroke is guided safely to ground
      http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081108/..._blinded_pilot
      http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

They call me "Major Wannabe". Oh well, I can dream, can't I?

This was a nice tour set up by a friend of mine for my sons and I at Homestead AFB in 2000. He heard my sons were leaving due to a divorce and wanted to give them something to enjoy.

That's me in fantasyland in the cockpit.

Later that same day at the US Customs hanger. Maybe one of my sons will be a future pilot. The one in the pilot's seat is currently a US Marine.

Last edited by DJinNH; 11-10-2008, 06:23 AM.
        currently own;
        1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
        2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

One of the luckiest pilots that I know personally is a friend of mine, Greg.

January, 1991, he was flying a patrol for the Florida Marine Patrol (now FWC) along the reefline offshore from Marathon, Florida Keys.

He was checking on a commercial boat when he lost power and his plane crashed into the ocean. His Cessna 172 sunk to the bottom about 100 yards south of Sombrero Reef Lighthouse.

The guys on the commercial boat saw him crash and proceeded immediately to the area to help. Thankfully, one or two guys already had their dive gear on and were able to rescue Greg from the cabin and bring him up. No pulse, no breathing, they started CPR and brought him back to life.

Greg had severe injuries to his legs from going through the floorboard on impact. He recovered and was back flying a year or so later.

Don
          currently own;
          1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
          2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

I think he should get a vote for "luckiest pilot in the history of the world".
            RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

I was flying back from Germany in Feb."72" to be discharged from the Army. We were in a 707. I was in the bathroom when the lights started flashing,RETURN TO SEAT FASTEN SEAT BELT! I started making my way back to the seat when the plane sunk several thousand feet. It was like i was a astronaut in training on board a KC135. I was just hovering around for a few seconds until the plane started up again. WEE ! Roy
              Roy Bean ebay moniker roy-b-boy-b
              1982 Xj 1100 2002 V Star

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk1KB...eature=related
                Pat Kelly
                <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Working...
                X