X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.. i would like one of those seals.

Comment

"Hey Grampaw, what's fer supper?'

I have a nice shiny valve cover roasting nicely in the oven at present time. Also a thought... if someone were to shoot the exhaust headers right where they exit the head with the thermometer, I wonder if you could tell a leaner cylinder (Running hotter) from a richer one. I am thinking the inner two cylinders will be inherantly hotter anyway... but anyone tried this? Just a thought...
      I have one o' dem laser pointer thermometers at work ($30 Harbor Fright, compared to the other mech's $200 Snap-On)
      Anyway... would be hard to tell lean condition by the heat of the pipes.
      "Ummm... I have two pipes hotter than the others. Is it 'cause they are running lean... or are they normal and the other two cylinders aren't running properly?"
      (I just spray water on them and compare the sizzles.)
      "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

(I just spray water on them and compare the sizzles.)
        So with this much more technologically advanced version... if the "Sizzles" are different "Is it 'cause they are running lean... or are they normal and the other two cylinders aren't running properly?" ?? lol..

I guess what I was really wondering, was what the normal temp would be on the header. This paint isn't chrome, but I think it would look nicer than the blue and spotty rusted spots that are there now. I was just wondering if that 1200 degree paint would be sufficient. It would be a lot cheaper than a new (thinner) aftermarket chrome set. this isn't EVER going to be a show bike anyway.

Tod
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

About those jugs:

I think jugs usually operate at 98 degree's, but I swear my SWMBO's jugs sometimes go to at least !00 degrees under certain pleasurable conditions!
          Great thread, my XSive brothers and sister. I have used Duplicolor with very satisfactory results. I'm going to make a heat box with 4 infrared heat lamps to bake the finish. Don't know if SWMBO will like shareing an oven with bike parts. Besides my next project is going to be the rear wheel; I doubt that it will fit in the oven!
          Write on!
          E.Liberty
          Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
          I've been riding since 1959.

Comment

Well, it's not high temp, but I was at that bike rally this weekend and saw a guy that paints bikes. He had a few tanks there he'd done, and i saw one I am seriously considering have him do for me. I thought about removing the side Yamaha emblems, filling the tank flush and smooth there, and having it done like this.

Not many would know it was a Yamaha until they saw the crank case covers... I just loved the colors.... it would keep the bike with a black theme.. but add a little color.

Ideas??

Tod
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own