High Temp Paint...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Temp Paint...

Does anyone know of a nice looking silver high temp paint for the fins and jugs that looks somewhat like natural aluminum? I found one silver, but it's more of a flat paint. Does anyone have any pictures possibly, or good experiences with doing this? I had the fins on the jugs and head sandblasted tonight, and they look really nice right now, but is there a way to keep them that way? Just leave them alone and put them on bare? They would cool better. Black is not an option... it is just too much black on this bike (This is just my personal opinion). Thanks.

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

If it looks nice bare I'd leave it be.

However they is a High Temp Clear Coat that is good for 700 or 800 degrees you can get a NAPA. But I tried it and over time it yellowed.

Comment

That yellowing was what I was sandblasting off tonight. That would be a good thing if it stayed clear. I want it to stay looking decent, because I just don't see myself getting in there and cleaning between all those fins. Who do you think I am... Bohn Frazier?? (That was a pretty bike though wasn't it?? )

Tod

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100

Comment

How do clear Laquers stand up? MY transmission case is laquered. THe olnly problem is that my laquer is not gas proof.
        United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
        If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
        "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
        "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
        Acta Non Verba

Comment

We used VHT on ours... John painted his black and I painted mine gold (it was already yellow). I actually used a caliper paint on mine and it is holding up well, no cracks, peeling or fading. I know they made an aluminum color as well... but not certain about the yellowing.

If you want the bare metal look though... I'd stick with the bare metal... from what I have seen, most of the clear coats yellow over time.
          81 SH Something Special
          81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
          81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
          80 LG Black Magic
          78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
          For those on FB

Comment

VHT makes a bright aluminum engine paint. I coated my cylinders and head with it a few years ago and it still looks fairly bright. VHT is a porous finish and you need to be very careful on how you handle it during the reassembly, until you can let the engine get up to operating temp to cure the finish. After that it is fairly maintenance free.

I would do it again with the bright aluminum but never with a clear.
            Mike Giroir
            79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

VHT

We baked all of the pieces that would fit in the oven before reassembly.

It didn't set up like it did after the more intense heat of operating conditions, but it was good enough to keep it from chipping and dinging with cautious reassembly.
              81 SH Something Special
              81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
              81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
              80 LG Black Magic
              78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
              For those on FB

Comment

Dupli-Color

High heat enamel with ceramic is what I used. ( Dupli-Color) Found it at local Wally-World auto section. Used this for any High-Heat application, i.e.- eng.,calipers,carbs etc. Went with the black, as per MNS @ 1200* F., Clear @ 500* F. Bonus with this stuff is fuel and oil resistant.
                As for the yellowing, two light coats should do the job. I found if you put heavy coat- looked to have yellow tint until cured! So far- Soooooooooooo Good Not that bad on clean-up, warm soapy water in spray bottle, tooth brush, terry towel and blow gun on hand, good to go!
                Well, off to the garage to do some cleaning------------- Have to get 'er ready for Memorial poker run tommorrow.

Jim
                "Elvira"
                '80 XS1100LG

Comment

Oh, BTW--------------- Toothbrush IS optional!
                  "Elvira"
                  '80 XS1100LG

Comment

Woooops

"Elvira"
                    '80 XS1100LG

Comment

TADRacer... have you got a good picture of your engine anywhere? I have never heard of/seen VHT paint. I have no problems baking it in the oven. I do for powdercoating small stuff anyway... just not that high of temps.

Tod

Current bikes:
                      '06 Suzuki DR650
                      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                      '81 XS1100 Special
                      '81 YZ250
                      '80 XS850 Special
                      '80 XR100

Comment

trbig, I am not very good with the picture stuff but I will try and get one up in the next day or two.
                        Mike Giroir
                        79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

If you could, that would be great. Or you could just email it to me at (tbigelow_74820@yahoo.com) if that would be easier for you. There's no rush on it, although I would like to see it, because I am puting it back together just bare metal for now. But.. I will need some ideas for the upcoming rebuild... : )

Tod

Current bikes:
                          '06 Suzuki DR650
                          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                          '81 XS1100 Special
                          '81 YZ250
                          '80 XS850 Special
                          '80 XR100

Comment

Tod

I bought some VHT paint at an AutoZone store. Y'all got them up in Okeyhomer don'cha? If Texus has 'em, you guys should. It's about $7 a can, but you can bake the pieces in the oven to get the baked on finish. VHT recommends it, in fact. That's what I did to mine.

Comment

Thanks John...I'll keep it mind for the next motor. As for Autozone... yes we have it here, but don't assume that since you Texacans have stuff there... that we will have it here. Look at that good 6 point beer for instance!!

I left you a PM also John.

Thanks again.

Tod

Current bikes:
                              '06 Suzuki DR650
                              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                              '81 XS1100 Special
                              '81 YZ250
                              '80 XS850 Special
                              '80 XR100