High Temp Paint...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tryin the photo thing

Going to try this picture thing for the first time so, here goes.

Took these today at lunch, in the shade. My machine is alittle bit on the dirty side right now so, please excuse. I finished the motor about 6 years ago and I used VHT silver on the head/cylinder block and used Ford Grey engine enamel on the lower end. Wanted a two-tone thing.
    Mike Giroir
    79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Well, I went to Autozone and got a can of silver VHT paint (900 degree)... got it back to work (Doesn't everybody paint their parts at work?) and it sprayed for about 1/2 a second. I tried a different tip.. nuttin! So went back, got their last can and swapped them.. took it outside to their trash can.. pffft. Same thing... maybe 1/2 a second of spraying.. (And yes fellas.. I shook the can for several minutes...)

So I got some high temp black (500 degree) and went to another auto parts store. They had some VHT 1500 degree paint, but it was flat aluminum. Then I looked around and found this...

It just said silver... but not gloss or flat.. but it was 1200 degree paint and was a couple bucks cheaper than the VHT. I decided to try it and see what happened.

What happened was nothing short of AMAZING!! My valve cover was freshly sand-blasted, so it looked pretty dull and rough. ONE coat of this stuff and it looked like brand new! I put on a second one, but it didn't improve it much more. I let it dry a bit, then baked it in a 300 degree oven (Asphalt oven.. lol) for about an hour. It didn't say to do this... but I did it anyway...lol. I brought it home and painted the raised ribs with the black high temp paint... kind of a reverse midnight special thing... and I am really happy how it turned out. I just wish I hadn't put the rest of the motor together so I could paint the whole thing. I don't know about the durability of this paint.. I will let you know... but the looks are GREAT! Not the best picture... but you get the idea..

Just thought I'd let you know. I wish I'd taken a "Before" photo to show you the difference. Tadracer... even "Filthy" your motor does look great.

Tod
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Operator malfunction?

Gee Tod... VHT worked just fine for ME... it must have been YOU...

Seriously... it looks really good!
        (saaaay... how did you get the silver to fill in those black lines? )
        and what? You don't want to take the engine out to repaint? It's not like it's a BIG job or anything...

TADracer... your engine looks sweeeet!
        81 SH Something Special
        81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
        81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
        80 LG Black Magic
        78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
        For those on FB

Comment

Yeah... it could have been operator error. The deal with that paint.... I have been known to push the wrong buttons! lol. As for removing the engine, it's really not that big of a deal, but it scares me now every time I remove the cams. One head full of bent valves can do that to a guy!

As far as the compliment on how it looks... Thank you. But with this... and about AGREEING with me in the other post about Elvis... You don't fool me for a second chick! I'm not letting my guard down around you... get all relaxed and WHAM! lol.

But really... who am I kidding. Everyone knows woman aren't vindictive or known to carry a grudge... *Cough.. LOL.. ALMOST said that with a straight face and with actually very little eye rolling!

Tod

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100

Comment

Re: Operator malfunction?

Originally posted by Wildkat

TADracer... your engine looks sweeeet!
            Thanks WildKat. I have even had a few Harley guys say the same thing...but I am sure they were squirming inside while they did.
            Mike Giroir
            79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Oh yeah, trbig, your cover looks great.
              Mike Giroir
              79 XS-1100 Special

Comment

I have even had a few Harley guys say the same thing...but I am sure they were squirming inside while they did.
                No doubt!
                (and you're welcome)

OUCH! Tod... you hurt me deeply. I keep trying to be nice to you and you can only think ill of me... Not ALL women are vindictive... Even my ex (who is on his 3rd marriage) introduces me as the ex that everybody likes... See? If he can... you can certainly trust ME... REALLY!

~bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha~
                (man... that evil laugh just rolls off of the fingers now)
                81 SH Something Special
                81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                80 LG Black Magic
                78 E Standard Practice

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                For those on FB

Comment

Hummmmmm, Dupli-Color huh? Ok, Not trying to stir........
                  I don't mean to sound like one of those KNOW-IT-ALL by no means! Have posted replys with past experience or just good 'ol honest opinion, only to be overlooked! Seen another post about Emblem refinishing................ tune in there if you want to read about my Petroleum Jelly experience with painting projects......
                  Tad, That's a good lookin' ride!
                  Tod, Cover looks great..........no end in sight!!!!!! You'll have to do it all now to match ya know!
                  Just an OL' Poor boy from S.E. IL. who likes to take PRIDE in his work for the LEAST possible cost and best results for the $$$$$$!

P.S.------- Tod, This paint is 7-day cure time if you don't bake @ 300* for 2 hrs. (400*/ 1.5 hrs)

JMO............
                  "Elvira"
                  '80 XS1100LG

Comment

I hadn't read anything about baking it.. I was just doing it because... but now I do see that on the can. I guess there weren't enough pictures for me to read it! lol. I went to do one more coat on the black stripes today... make them look a little better... and I put it in the oven before it cured well and bubbled all up. Now I get to take it off and try again! lol.

The bike is about ready. It needs plugs installed, valve cover, carbs, seat, and tank. Maybe another 30 minutes work or so.. but that's after the valve cover... lol. I cranked it over just to get the oil flowing. It seems I screwed up right and all the cylinders are making compression (Meaning no bent valves!) I keep saying... I should get it running tomorrow.. for several days now.. but it's been rainy and foggy.. so not in a huge rush.

Tod

Current bikes:
                    '06 Suzuki DR650
                    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                    '81 XS1100 Special
                    '81 YZ250
                    '80 XS850 Special
                    '80 XR100

Comment

and one day...

I keep saying... I should get it running tomorrow..
                      You'll be right...

You will post pics when it's all together... yes?
                      81 SH Something Special

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                      80 LG Black Magic
                      78 E Standard Practice

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                      For those on FB

Comment

You will post pics when it's all together... yes?
                        You know it Babe!! I just need to know... you want the one with the fishnets and spiked heals (Now flats) we talked about in the other post... or just the one with the thong?? Ohhhhh... you meant of the bike!

I will take a picture after I get it cleaned up a bit. In the mean time, for a mental picture though (Not quite as disturbing as the above one.. lol) just imagine a nice shiny spot right on top of a turd... that you can barely see anyway due to a gas tank being in the way!... lol

Tod

Current bikes:
                        '06 Suzuki DR650
                        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                        '81 XS1100 Special
                        '81 YZ250
                        '80 XS850 Special
                        '80 XR100

Comment

Originally posted by trbig

You know it Babe!! I just need to know... you want the one with the fishnets and spiked heals (Now flats) we talked about in the other post... or just the one with the thong?? Ohhhhh... you meant of the bike!

Tod
                          No, not pics of the bike, pics of your SWMBO in the fisnets, heels and thong. Hell, if we want to see an XS, we can just open the door to the garage.

Comment

No, not pics of the bike, pics of your SWMBO in the fisnets, heels and thong
                            *Sigh.... sorry... seems all the stuff we have like that is in MY size... lol.

Sort of on a side note.. We used to have some pictures of her and some "Home movies". We were having some problems way back (It had to have been her fault!) We have been married almost 20 years... anyway.. at that time we weren't getting along.. she destroyed the pics and erased all the movies. I was SOOO mad! I told her... "Do you realize... we are NEVER going to look that good again!?!?" lol. They were back when we were in our very early twenties. Food, weight, time and gravity takes a heavy toll! lol.

Back to the post's subject... Just as a curiosity... does anyone know what the temperature of the jugs are at normal operating temp? I called this Duplicolor paint company today (Was real busy again at work) and asked if this paint would make an air cooled motor run hotter if you painted it. The reply I got was... "Errr.... ummm... hang on a sec while I ask my supervisor.. " So as I listened to the orchestra version of Barry Manilo's "Mandy"... (I know.. sad I knew it.).. he came back on and told me... "ummm..errr... we can't recommend that application... it might clog them up."

Me: "Clog them up?"

Him: "Yeah.. the cooling thingies."

Me: " This is an 1100 CC motorcycle, I don't understand how paint could clog up a 1/2 inch gap between fins."

Him: "Fins?"

Me: "Yeah... the cooling thingies."

Him: "Well... errr... ummm.. we just can't recommend that application."

I could tell it was "Bring your kid to work day."

Their can says it's "exclusive ceramic formula increases heat dispersion"... Would a couple light coats increase engine heat a noticeable amount? I am thinking a layer of road grime and oil from the magical un-ending dribble of the cam adjuster would be worse than a layer of paint.
                            I have a digital thermometer at work... I may have to check this out and see "When I get it running.... maybe tomorrow!" lol. I have a nice shiny valve cover roasting nicely in the oven at present time. Also a thought... if someone were to shoot the exhaust headers right where they exit the head with the thermometer, I wonder if you could tell a leaner cylinder (Running hotter) from a richer one. I am thinking the inner two cylinders will be inherantly hotter anyway... but anyone tried this? Just a thought...

Tod

Current bikes:
                            '06 Suzuki DR650
                            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                            '81 XS1100 Special
                            '81 YZ250
                            '80 XS850 Special
                            '80 XR100

Comment

Another timely request!

Tod, I used this paint for the COMPLETE Eng., middle gear & carbs. I haven't noticed any heat related problems thus far........500 miles plus on 'er so far. Quite a bit of town miles to boot.
                              As for temp. readings...........Well I was heading out last Sat. for first poker run with the new ride (to me). Hadn't been ridin' much the prev. week or so.........crappy weather So I fired 'er up and well she was only hittin on three. Ok, I'll clean 'er out on the way to top off.............She didn't AGREE
                              Back to the garage we went........Hum lets see????????
                              Side note.........still have some carb work to do, figured on waiting until down for winter.
                              Grabbed dig. therm. out of the racing tool box. #1, 3 & 4 Header @ 326* +/- 2/3*............#2 @ 126* AH HAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! Fouled plug! Changed plug out & off to the run we went!
                              As for the #s.......Was a cool morn. in the 50s, only went two blocks or so up and back.........didn't take any eng. readings so not sure???????????? But they paint & clear coat at the factory don't they.
                              Will take some readings over the weekend.........however PC will be down a couple days. Gotta wipe it clean & reload! !!!!!!!!!!!@#$%^^^^& VIRUS!!!!!!!!!
                              "Elvira"
                              '80 XS1100LG

Comment

OK... I FINALLY got the cover re-done. As I was taping it off with some good 3M pinstriping before painting.... I took a look and decided I even like THIS paint scheme.. lol. If anyone has a blue bike.. might be an option...

Anyway.. got it re-painted with black fins. Not perfect... when I went to remove the striping, paint was chipping a bit with it... but was tired of messing with it. I went and put it on, and my tank, cranked it... and it fired right up! It's alive!! I left my left side cover off to see if the galley plug was leaking or the crank seal... of course it's the seal! I got the aftermarket seals that I spoke of in another thread, and they are a much better seal than OEM. They have a double inner lip versus just a single, to help them seal at the crank. It cost me less than 13 bucks for 2 of them. (Left side) Again... anyone let me know if they need any.

So the seal is on the agenda for tomorrow, as well as a good degrease bath. It took all of 2 minutes to smoke me out of the shop from the greasy stuff left on the pipes and such. Did I mention it fired right up!?!? lol.

Tod

Current bikes:
                                '06 Suzuki DR650
                                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                                '81 XS1100 Special
                                '81 YZ250
                                '80 XS850 Special
                                '80 XR100

Comment

Working...
                                X