Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bandet01
    i am going to replace the clutch with all new frictions
    Are the friictions in your clutch NOW worn out??

mro

Comment

i dont know yet i havent pulled them apart to look at them all iknow is i had it adjusted the day we went to the track and under high rpms the bike is slipping in all gears but like it has been said some bikes like the syntatic and others dont and i think i ran alittle to thin on the oil to and that could be part of the problem too
      79 yamaha xs1100f standard
      best 1/4 mile 13.282@99.40

Comment

Bandit,
        You have a 25 year old bike, with the factory clutch springs still in it. The heavy duty NEW springs will help a lot. As you plan on racing, I would go ahead and put in the new fiber plates as well. I would NOT put in the extra steel plate, until you've made a few runs at the track. See how it behaves first, and add the steel if it's still slipping a little.
        Just my $0.02
        Ray
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

ok sounds like a plan diverray, i will put new clutch frictions in and new springs and make a few passes and run some thicker oil and not syntatic and that should be the end of my slipping clutch problems and if i do add the extra steel after a few passes will it hurt anything i mean i want to get the most power the the ground that i can

Comment

It should be OK. I just don't see any reason to add it unless you need it. I'm going from my experience with my bikes, and work on these back when they were new bikes.
            In the day, one or two companies made a set of plates that had one extra fiber and metal in the clutch pack. I don't think they are available any more, so if the springs and new plates don't quite do it, put in the extra metal.
            Ray
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

sounds like a plan i will probley do that in the next few weeks but i think i am going to change the oil first and adjust the clutch to get all the old syntatic oil out of it the replace the clutch and the springs and get it all adjusted and should be good for the season or a few seasons depending on how much racing i do

Comment

Steeling your courage!

Hey Bandet,

My clutch seemed okay when I rebuilt it 5 years ago with new frictions, springs. I have only put about 7k miles on it since then, but this last fall, when I was running it, I started to experience some 5th gear high rpm slippage!

When I tore it down, my frictions were only .05mm off of spec, but my springs were already below the spec length! So...even though I was putting in NEW springs, since they got sorta sprung in a rather short period of time(5 years), there apparently was enough wear on the main pressure plates, or some stretching of the 6 mounting shafts of the pressure plate, which causes less pressure to be exerted against the plates in the basket!

So...that's why I added the extra steel, even though I was putting in new frictions and springs. The extra steel may cause the springs to compress more, but may also cause them to get sprung sooner?? But it works well, and since I was going in there, didn't want to "TRY" the plates and springs, and possibly have it still slip, only to have to go back into it to put the extra steel, so I did it all at once. Your choice, if you like wrenching and putting your star plate at risk for breakage an extra time!?
                T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

New frictions?

What’s the point of putting in new plates if the old ones are still in speck??? Pressure plate worn?? back of clutch basket worn??
                  Steel plates glazed?? Springs???

I put new springs in the 80G. Steel plates looked like new and both friction/steel measured good and the new springs helped but clutch still slipped under hard acceleration. Added a steel plate and it's working very good now and not slippen. New frictions may have made it work good too, but way I ride it, I would have been back to fix it right in a very short time.

Moral of this BS is that you have a symptom, ie clutch slip, Now you should determine why it's slipping before throwing parts at it. (Like to throw parts?, become a computer tech..)

Could very well be that you need new springs/frictions, but until you check you won't know for sure what the best fix will be.

mro

Comment

star plate at risk for breakage an extra time!?

Main risk in wrenching is
                    not paying attention to detail

too tight, not tight enough and LOOK at these "extra" parts, don't remember seeing them before.

I know some pretty smart guys, but would not let em touch anything mechanical and also have trained a few that I had doubts about being able to get outa bed w/o hurting themselves that have become dam good mechanics.

mro

Comment

you do have a good point about just throwing parts at it but i just like to have the parts ready if they are needed. plus i really dont know the history of the bike. and i have been wrenching on cars and bikes since i was 16 and i have 2 year of auto tech training. i mean i just dont want to have to do the job twice inless i am just adding the extra steel in the setup

Comment

It seems like the logical first step is to simply change the oil. After you see what happens with that you can assess what further steps are required. If you change more than one thing at a time, you will not know what actually fixed it.

Cook

Comment

well me and my brother are going to be working on the bikes this coming up weekend if all the parts come in for his bike and then we will have both bikes running and riding again and i will let you guys know what the results are of the oil change in the xs1100 and hope to get the virago 920 sttarted and running again

Comment

Re: New frictions?

Originally posted by mro
                            What’s the point of putting in new plates if the old ones are still in speck??? Pressure plate worn?? back of clutch basket worn??
                            Steel plates glazed?? Springs???

I put new springs in the 80G. Steel plates looked like new and both friction/steel measured good and the new springs helped but clutch still slipped under hard acceleration. Added a steel plate and it's working very good now and not slippen. New frictions may have made it work good too, but way I ride it, I would have been back to fix it right in a very short time.
                            mro
                            Hey Bandet and MRO,

OldBiker came to my place this last Sunday, his clutch was slipping badly in the higher gears, and so we got together to fix it!
                            He had ordered replacement frictions, springs, gasket material, and I had a spare NEW Steel from my last BB order!

He arrived at ~10:15am, we drained the oil(he wanted to change it and filter), pulled the clutch cover off, got the basket out, and measured the springs and frictions. To "our" surprise, the springs were still in spec! The plates were only half worn, Max spec is 3.00, min. is 2.80, they were 2.9ish! The steels looked good, just a little glazing. We scrubbed the steels with fine emory cloth, put in the new frictions, extra steel and NEW springs. Buttoned it all up, and he was on the road by 1:30pm trying to beat the coming rain. He didn't but the clutch wasn't slipping anymore!!

The extra steel puts the springs under more compression tension and I think it will help the frictions work longer as they wear before the slipping symptoms occur as they wear!
                            T.C.
                            T. C. Gresham
                            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                            History shows again and again,
                            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

TC
                              The extra steel puts the springs under more compression tension and I think it will help the frictions work longer as they wear before the slipping symptoms occur as they wear!
                              Would hope so

Actually been thinking of putting an extra friction next to the added steel just to see if it will fit and still work properly

mro
                              btw
                              anyone been there/done that?

Comment

dont know anybody thats tried it i really dont think it would work but my question is what kind kind of oil does everybody run in there bike i am looking at a 20-50 weight oil but dont know a brand or anything yet

Comment

Working...
                                X