oil problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey MRO,

When I put the steel in mine, the "almost" problem I could see was running out of pushrod on the clutch lever. I had to screw mine in almost to the end to where the lock nut barely had anything to grab onto to lock! Same thing happened when we put in the extra steel in Oldbiker's machine.

The extra steel puts the #2 pressure plate further into the engine, and the starplate bolts to that, so the star plate is also sitting deeper into the clutch chamber, so if you put in an extra friction along with the extra steel, you might not be able to lock the clutch pushrod!?!?
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

TC & MRO,
      If you build a little longer push rod, problem solved. The push rod is just that, a rod X diameter by Y length. Make Y 5 mm longer and your done?
      Just my bit
      Ray
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I had to replace my clutch this year. Not sure if it is not sliping sometimes. Where do you put the extra steel plate? I was thinking about replaceing the springs on my 1981H, but they look the same as the one I got on ebay. and the whole assembly I got on ebay, slip as bad as the one in the bike so I bought new friction plate s and now it works but not much adjustment though. Which fix is best, new springs , or more steel. also I am new to this bike and the previous own used Rotella 15-40 oil.
        Richard
        1981 XS1100H Full dressed Standard
        1979 Honda 400 Hawk
        1991 BMW RT100
        Southaven Ms.
        XS Riders Are A Rare Breed
        Harley Riders Are A Dime A Dozen

Comment

Hey Classawinn,

Follow this link, you'll find the info:Extra Steel Clutch Tech TIp .

You need to use a caliper to measure the old springs, they should be 41.8mm or longer.

What do you mean by NOT MUCH ADJUSTMENT? You did do the clutch lever adjustment at the engine side first didn't you? And then the adjustment of the cable slack at the handlebar?!

The extra steel is just another way of shimming the springs! So, new frictions and extra steel is an almost guarantee that it won't slip!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

if the clutch is good mob 1 will do if it is border line it will slip
            mobil usto advise aginst it in wet clutches the clearences on these
            motors wernt set up for oil that thin

i like 20w50 GTX never had oil problem with it.

Comment

Actually been thinking of putting an extra friction next to the added steel just to see if it will fit and still work properly
              .. i have tried this, not enough room in the basket. the pressure plate grooves need to be started into the grooves in the back of the hub. they might bind/missalign and cause your clutch to not engage properly. also friction plate wont hook onto the grooves. but hey, try it and see

Comment

I do like things tight

GNEPIG
                not enough room in the basket
                but did not pay attention when I put the extra steel in there to see if any room left. Not going to take it out while it's working good to see either. Sun has been out and so have I

mro

Comment

Question, Is there something wrong with the Yamalube that is still sold by Yamaha and recommended for these bikes? I notice in a lot of these threads that other oils and weights are used versus the intended oil. Is that because of age? I still get my oil from Yamaha and have no problems.
                  2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                  81 LH
                  02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                  22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                  Jim

Comment

Is there something wrong with the Yamalube
                    .. no, the only thing wrong with it [that i can tell]is the price. most XS11 owners are thrifty. most are just looking for the best oil for the best price, everyone has there own special opinion about oil. it's just like tires, politics and religion, there is no wrong answer.

Comment

I have used Yamalube 20w40 whenever the local shop has it on sale for $3.98 but now that I've found Rotella 15w40 for $1.99/qt. at K-mart and Walmart that's what I'm using.
                      Shiny side up,
                      650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
                      XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

Working...
                      X