oil problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil problems

well guys i know these has been gone over a millon times but i need help. my problem is a slipping clutch, but i think it is because i used moble one synthatic auto oil 5w30. so i am going to change out the oil and hope that fixes the problem since it didnt slip tell after i put the oil in it. but the problem i got it what kind of oil do you guys use and what weight of oil do you use. other problem ,what is the right way to adjust the clutch to make it so it is working up to optical working condisions so i can find out if the problem was in the oil or if i need a new clutch

thank you guys
    79 yamaha xs1100f standard
    best 1/4 mile 13.282@99.40

Bandit, I don't think it's the oil. Do a search, or it may be in tech tips, but as extra steel plate, and new springs will probably solve the problem. My clutch was slipping, and I just put in the heavy duty springs.
    Ray
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

well if its the clutch. where is a good place to order the whole kit , i mean the whole works. i want to do it right the first time and not have to go in there again intell it starts to act up again. i mean i dont know the history of the bike i mean it still could be the factory one but i doubt it

Comment

'Nothin' like answering yer own question"

but i think it is because i used moble one synthatic auto oil 5w30. so i am going to change out the oil and hope that fixes the problem since it didnt slip tell after i put the oil in it.
        Some people like the synthetics... other's don't. Some bikes are designed for synthetics, other's aren't.
        Triumph's take synth... Victory's take a blend, Kawa's take it straight, and I like my lubrication on the rocks.
        Not a fan of synthetic anything: be it oil, or women's breasts. I like both natural, and fer oil run Castrol 20w50.
        "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

sounds good i was looking at putting 20w50 in it this time when i change it but there are so many brand and dont know which one to pick but i am sure hoping it helps

Comment

Bandit,
            Partsnmore, an online shop, has the springs and the fiber plates. The steel plates almost NEVER go bad, just need to be cleaned. Do a search on "clutch" and find Johns fix, adding an extra steel plate. That with heavy springs and new fibers should fix the problem.
            As far as oil, we've beat the subject to death on this forum. Each bike is different, and the best is try different brands and types, see what works for you, and stick with that. I like synthetics, but can't use them in daily ride because of the old engine. I have oil seeping every place there is a gasket. I plan on using Mobil 1 once I get the project bike going and broken in.
            Ray
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG

Comment

ok i will look online at the parts and ok on the oil i just dont think my bike likes the good stuff but moble one is all i run in my drag car so i thought it would be good in the bike but i guess not looks like it is going to get some 20-50 oil and see what happens

Comment

Hi bandet01

The clutch is easy to remove and you don't even have to drain the oil. I'd take it out and measure the friction/steel plates to see if there still in spec.. If not, you need some new parts, if they are and it still slips after you change the oil then do the "add steel plate fix".

mro

Comment

where can i get the extra steel at i cant find anybody with it and it is time to change the oil anyways so i might just replace the clucth the springs and add a steel and go with 20-50 reg oil

Comment

Yamaha should be able to get it for you. You could also do a search online with the Yamaha part number. I think they used the same clutch, with less plates, in the 750/850 machines. You can also get the steel plate when you order frictiuon plates.
                    Ray
                    Ray Matteis
                    KE6NHG

Comment

Hey Bandet,

Check out this tech tip:Extra Steel in clutch repair It'll walk you thru the whole process.

As for the extra Steel, they are available from BikeBandit, I think I put that in the tech tip, and so you can also order the frictions and springs from them as well if you want to get it all from the same place to save shipping?? But, check out the prices. You'll need 8 frictions, and they are only $5.00 ea at PNM, can't remember exactly what they are at BB. You'll need to get some gasket material and cut out your own, cause you only need that one, no need to buy a whole kit for 1 gasket, $3.00 a roll at local auto store! You might also want to run some engine flush thru first before draining the oil to help get the Synth out! Then do clutches, and put fresh oil and FILTER in!
                      T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

thanks for all the places to get the stuff and all the info i am thinking i am going to change the oil and adjust the clucth and run a few miles on it to get all the old snythatic oil and the new reg oil mixed up order the parts and then change out the clucth and add the extra steel and add new spring then i shouldnt have anymore problems with the clutch slipping then i can add the new exhaust system and the coils and get the carbs jetted right and then have a soild 12 second bike

Comment

Hey bandet01

You should check to see what condition your clutch is in first.

Adding a plate if the frictions are worn out may help some but you might wind up damaging other parts.

You can have the clutch out in less than 30 min.
                          Inspect and measure. If ok clean w/lacquer thinner then let sit for about 10 min. for residue to evaporate, then apply coat of new oil to all the plates and reassemble, reinstall and adjust it.

Whole job less than 2 hrs.

mro

btw
                          I've got some used steels, you can have one for cost of shipping.

Comment

Re: oil problems

Originally posted by bandet01
                            well guys i know these has been gone over a millon times but i need help. my problem is a slipping clutch, but i think it is because i used moble one synthatic auto oil 5w30.
                            thank you guys
                            Don't think I'd use any oil of that thin a viscosity. When I was using Mobil 1 auto oil, I used 15w50 grade. I had no clutch problems on any of my bikes. I'm currently using 15w40 Rotella dino oil.
                            Shiny side up,
                            650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
                            XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

i am going to replace the clutch with all new frictions but what damange can happen by adding the extra steel and i am also putting in new springs too and then i am going to runs 20-50 oil in the bike

Comment

Working...
                              X