Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	876159

The eBay auction:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/36461292947....c101465.m3507

Comment

OMG! Had to be that guy Kaplan......

A Special in "Pristine OEM Showroom Condition" is (in my opinion) very likely worth the asking price of $5,950.

In my opinion, that highly modified thing is absolutely NOTHING "SPECIAL" and I'd hold up either of my '80s against it as better nicer. Still, I estimate not any one of my several specials is truly worth anything more than about $2,500. And that's not all that likely either!

I've seen guys make sweetheart purchases of bikes MUCH nicer than that thing for peanuts.......

Kurt Boehringer
      Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
      1978 - SR500 - Thumper
      1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
      1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
      1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
      1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
      1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
      1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
      1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
      1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
      1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
      1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
      2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

More power to him if he can get it. I’m in the same camp. A modified Special isn’t going to bring much. 100 hp? I doubt it.
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

The Dynojet kit does pep it up a bit. Nice thing is all the detail work is done, it looks pretty sharp. Price of bikes have been going up like everything else.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I saw a different ad from this Kaplan Cycles posted on another forum. A member reported that Ken Kaplan is in Conneticut. His spin is to make it feel like you are buying a bike from a museum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

Guy does a good job of marketing. He probably does get more money than the bikes are worth. None of us would pay his asking prices.

-Mike
            _________
            '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
            '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
            '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
            '79 XS750SF 17k miles
            '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
            '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
            '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Just a set of carbs is going for as much as 500.00 on Ebay. I have actually seen sets for that much and still need to be cleaned. So I am not knocking the prices on our bikes going up. Like Mike said everything is going up these days so why not these bikes. With that said I do believe the guy at Kaplans is just a salesman that hypes up everything he sells. I guess that is his job. The bike in question here is nice and has had everything done that needs to be addressed so whoever gets it will have a bike they can ride right away. Would I pay the price they are asking for that bike? Probably not but then again I am a purist and like them just like they were when new.
              2 - 80 LGs bought one new
              81 LH
              02 FXSTB Nighttrain
              22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
              Jim

Comment

This bike did sell for an undisclosed amount outside of eBay.

Comment

My son purchased his vintage bike, 78 Suzuki GS 550, from NEMM auction, no reserve, which he did well on. I picked it up along with a donor parts bike for him. The bike he purchased was in great shape and operates excellent. The place is fairly cool and staff was helpful. NEMM did go through the bike before auction sale. Just to ease my concerns I got him a set of SS brake lines for Christmas that year.

---Bax
                  80 SG, --- Slightly modified with EFI.....

Comment

As soon as I saw the showroom I thought Kaplan. I bid on a motorcycle back in September and it had bids on it but it didn't sell.
                    1980 XS1100 SG
                    Inline fuel filters
                    New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
                    160 mph speedometer mod
                    Kerker Exhaust
                    xschop K & N air filter setup
                    Dynojet Recalibration kit
                    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                    1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                      More power to him if he can get it. I’m in the same camp. A modified Special isn’t going to bring much. 100 hp? I doubt it.
                      Yup if you followed the Basket Case Cafe Racer build on YT (Andy's Motorcycle Obsessions) ... he did a magnificent job of putting a bike together. Engine rebuilt with an 1196 WISECO kit and Mik RS36 flat sliders all optimized and tuned ... the bike makes 80 RWHP on the dyno. 100 Kaplan hp ... my @$$! ... Kap used to be relatively "normal" guy a few years ago, and now he is acting like a jackass! He's got some nice iron but I wouldn't buy from him if he'd be the last guy on the planet. Can't stand his effing BS!

Comment

I agree that he is a P.T. Barnum of sorts. I used to buy computer hard drives from him to repair security computers years ago.

Click image for larger version

Name:	kaplan before.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	876547 Click image for larger version

Name:	kaplan before1.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	876548

Comment

But then, Department H got a hold of him and injected him with adamantium.

Click image for larger version

Name:	kaplan after.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	876550 Click image for larger version

Name:	Wolverine.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	876551 Click image for larger version

Name:	Wolverine1.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	876552

Comment

Originally posted by Turd Ferguson View Post

Yup if you followed the Basket Case Cafe Racer build on YT (Andy's Motorcycle Obsessions) ... he did a magnificent job of putting a bike together. Engine rebuilt with an 1196 WISECO kit and Mik RS36 flat sliders all optimized and tuned ... the bike makes 80 RWHP on the dyno. 100 Kaplan hp ... my @$$! ... Kap used to be relatively "normal" guy a few years ago, and now he is acting like a jackass! He's got some nice iron but I wouldn't buy from him if he'd be the last guy on the planet. Can't stand his effing BS!
                            Yes, the salesman BS is hard to take. And went he's talking about a bike I know well, I know he's full of crap.
                            Marty (in Mississippi)
                            XS1100SG
                            XS650SK
                            XS650SH
                            XS650G
                            XS6502F
                            XS650E

Comment

Is that the Delkevic exhaust? If so, it sounds worse than a Mac or cheap Dunstall exhaust
                              1979 XS1100F
                              2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Working...
                              X