No announcement yet.

Have to sell my bike due to home repair issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The front nipples on both petcocks are not connected to anything. And when I tried switching to the old plugs and back, they have been dry.
    Hydra'82 XJ1100 Frankenbike with a '79 engine

~dubbed "Hydra" by a friend, because "once one problem is fixed, another rears its ugly head!"

Comment

Do you have the octy on still?
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

If you don't have anything hooked to the front nipples on the petcocks then you won't have a prime position, and if the plugs are dry that indicates the cylinders aren't getting any gas.
        If the fuel level in the tank is too low, then 'on' no fuel will flow, but 'reserve' will.
        An easy check to see if fuel is flowing to the bowls it to loosen(not fully take off) the drain plug on the bottom of the carb bowl and see if you get fuel or not.
        Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
        The Green Monster
        K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
        Got him in '04.
        bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
        Scarlet
        K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
        Got her in '11
        Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
        Hugo
        Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
        Cold weather ride

Comment

hmm, the only thing different I did was put a tube endcap on the left side front nipple. The petcocks on my bike, if I move the lever straight down is "On". I had it running just fine before the acct/plug swap out and putting on the cap on the one nipple. I couldn't get a cap on the other front nipple, in fact sliced up my finger pretty good trying, due to the clamp I was trying to use...fuel seemed to be pretty high in the tank, obviosly not a full tank, but if I open the cap and look in, I can see fuel.

~dubbed "Hydra" by a friend, because "once one problem is fixed, another rears its ugly head!"

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post

Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

No Octy came with the bike....the front nipple on the left has a rubber cap on it I put on with a screw down clamp. The left back nipple has a hose that is connected to the carbs The right front nipple has nothing attached to it and the back right nipple has another hose connected to the carbs.

Comment

Take the hoses off of the petcocks, as though you were going to take the tank off.
                Get a piece of hose that fits over the smaller tube on the petcock, the one that went to the nipple on #2or3 carb boot, and long enough to get your mouth on the other end.
                Put the petcock lever in the "on" position, and suck on the tube, like there was a milkshake on the other end.
                Does gas come out the big tube on the petcock?
                Try the other side.
                Let us know the outcome.
                CZ

Comment

CZ, I think you may have hit it right on the head. He's got an XJ, so he should have the vaccum controlled petcocks. With nothing on the 'front' nipples (the vac control lines) then nothing should flow when in the 'on' position unless they're sucked on, or there's a lot of leak by.

Prime should work though.

The Green Monster
                  K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
                  Got him in '04.

Scarlet
                  Got her in '11
                  Ready for the twisties!

Hugo
                  Cold weather ride

Comment

Like I said, before I swapped out the plugs, and put the cap on the one nipple I had no issues getting it to start and switching it to the "ON' position. I try removing the one cap and see if it starts after that. Only problem is those two nipples leak gas then.

Comment

If those front nipples are leaking gas then you need to rebuild the petcocks...they should be dry and sealed to allow vacuum applied to open the petcock.

John
                      John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                      '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                      Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
                        If those front nipples are leaking gas then you need to rebuild the petcocks...they should be dry and sealed to allow vacuum applied to open the petcock.

John
                        You got that right!
                        And check me if I'm wrong, but would not the hose connected from the petcock to the nipple be sucking gas out of the petcock, right into the intake tract, thereby running rich to the point of not running at all? CZ
                        Last edited by CaptonZap; 08-24-2012, 11:57 AM.

Comment

ok, so i need to get petcock repair/rebuild kits for the xj. Once I rebuild both petcocks, what do I do to get the fuel system to work without having the Octi, since its a 79 engine/carb and the 82xj tank?

Comment

Originally posted by pbaker27 View Post
                            ok, so i need to get petcock repair/rebuild kits for the xj. Once I rebuild both petcocks, what do I do to get the fuel system to work without having the Octi, since its a 79 engine/carb and the 82xj tank?
                            You'll need 2 vac lines to go from the carb boot nipples (usually #1 & #4) to attach to the front nipples on the petcocks. The petcock outlets (back ones) go to the carb fuel inlets. (on the 79 that would be the lower set, the upper ones are carb fuel vents that need to open to atmosphere.)

If you can, snap a pic of your tank/carb/petcock setup and post it up here so we can verify what we're talking about.

The Green Monster
                            Got him in '04.

Scarlet
                            Got her in '11
                            Ready for the twisties!

Hugo
                            Cold weather ride

Comment

WAIT A MINUTE!
                              He's got an 82XJ Tank, then it should have non vacuum controlled petcocks!
                              So the front nipple is the prime hole and the back nipple is the regular 'on' hole.
                              So he probably could get fuel out of the prime hole if the lever is in the correct position.
                              He should be able to blank off/plug the prime nipples and operate just fine on the 'on' nipples in either 'on' or 'reserve'.
                              He does need to make sure that all 4 of his carb boot nipples are capped too.
                              Having one of these caps off could have caused the high revving at idle.

The Green Monster
                              Got him in '04.

Scarlet
                              Got her in '11
                              Ready for the twisties!

Hugo
                              Cold weather ride

Comment

Here's a link to the XJ parts fiche:
                                http://www.ytcn.nl/archief/Archief/Y...XJ/XJ1100J.PDF

The Green Monster
                                Got him in '04.

Scarlet
                                Got her in '11
                                Ready for the twisties!

Hugo
                                Cold weather ride

Comment

Working...
                                X